SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.

Go down 
+2
Stench
Woodtick
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. Empty
PostSubject: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 9:49 am

Pals Rhino 450 (2008) stopped on us at the farm Sat. VERY steep downhill for half mile and near the bottom she began coughing and quit at the bottom. My first thought was fuel filter. No help. Put my spare fuel pump on next, no help. Pushed it on that trailer and I brought it home with me the next day. I pulled the fuel line off on the inlet side of the fuel pump and blew through the vent line. Gas filled the filter and came out of the fuel line. Replaced that line and took the fuel line off on the outlet side of the fuel pump and blew again. Gas came out of the fuel pump discharge side. Hooked everything back up. Buggy started like a new one and hasn't missed a beat since. I should add that the gas tank had a little less than half a tank when it quit on us and I filled it up on the way home. This reminds me of "Joe Dirt's" deal on the Rhino forums somewhat. What really chaps my fat ass is that I can't for sure say what stopped it, or for sure what fixed it. What say you guys? It shouldn't have been a fuel pick up problem with that much gas in the tank should it?
Back to top Go down
Stench
SSXSRider Member
Stench

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Maybe picked a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the tank?
Back to top Go down
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Stench wrote:
Maybe picked a little bit of sediment in the bottom of the tank?

That would be my observation as well.Anyway, you'll know how to diagnose the problem if it ever occurs again!Good Luck with it.

Jim,
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Tick,

I've encountered something similar with my 450, and I'm still not sure if it was the fuel filter or fuel pump, since I replaced both to make sure....

You may want to consider addiing a squeeze bulb for an outboard boat engine's gas tank to your fuel inlet line from the gas tank -- then you can manually pressurize the system if you ever encounter it again...

That's on my "to be added" list...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Damn good idea Kent. Now added to my "To Do" list also. We ended up putting the OEM fuel pump back on when my spare wouldn't work either. Now it's got me wondering if my spare is any good. Can they test those damn things at a dealership and tell if there are good or not?
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Mine does the same thing on occasion and it with spit sputter and backfire like it is out of fuel. At the bottom of the hill I just pull the cover off and hold my hand over the air intake while cranking it for a minute and it always fires right back up. Not sure why it does it and no more often then it does it I just refire and go on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Possible vapor-lock too Phil, cool's off, cranks up.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. EmptyWed Jul 06, 2011 8:08 pm

ridepate wrote:
Possible vapor-lock too Phil, cool's off, cranks up.

Mine acts almost like its not got enough vacuum to pump enough fuel when descending a long steep hill and when the bowl runs dry it quits. I have considered idling mine up a bit to see if it would help but it does not do it enough on mine to really worry about it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.   Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys. Empty

Back to top Go down

Need your collective brains to work for a minute guys.
Page 1 of 1