SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blue flame gas heaters

Go down 
+5
Big-R
pit dog
Hollon
samiam
AIRBORNE
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Blue flame gas heaters Empty
PostSubject: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 am

So I have bought some furniture for my basement because it is an area of the house that is carpeted and large enough to relax with company, while also allowing the little rugrat to romp around. However, the basement gets VERY cold during the winter months. I am wanting to add some gas blue flame wall heaters down there to make it cozy, because this area will also double as our "guest room" when friends or relatives visit. My question is this. Do the heaters and lines HAVE TO BE run by the gas company, or could it be done by individuals and then just have the propane tank placed and connected by the gas company? I am going to have to go through my wall (obviously) from outside and into the basement. I was going to have my Dad and Uncle do it before the cold sets in, but my Dad voiced concern that it might be "illegal" to do so, or possibly the gas company who would drop and fill the tank would maybe refuse to do so because they had not run the lines and installed the heaters. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I am by no means an authority on this but here is my set up for a propane fireplace. The store where I bought the fireplace had a kit to connect it to the tank using copper line. You will need a flaring kit and be sure to check for leaks well. The line is run outside to 2 100 lb tanks that I can easily load up and take them to be filled. An average winter running the fireplace frequently, but not a lot, empties 1 tank. There are a variety of options with your tank selections but if you go bigger the gas co. will have to send a truck to fill the tank. It all depends on how big and how much you want to run the heater. Mine was installed for emergencies and ROMANTIC times with my Honey thatsright
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:23 pm

have plenty of ventilation, a flame burns up oxygen quicker than ya might think.
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 11:45 pm

You should be able to do is your self. Just call the gas company and ask there guidelines.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 am

Chris, you can do it your self. They may want to inspect the gas lines be for installation.

I would not add gas to the house if was me. That gets very expensive.

Are there any vents form your HVAC system flowing into the basement now?

Have you looked at some of the electric heaters? I have one of these things and they are awesome. It might be all you need for y
our basement.

http://www.pureenergystore.com/?gclid=CNvLjubw-6kCFYrb4AodjhjSYw

P.S. Please talk to me before you guys do anything!!!!!
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:58 am

I thank eltc took 11% rate increase ,and another one this winter. And 11% last winter.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 am

Big-R wrote:
Chris, you can do it your self. They may want to inspect the gas lines be for installation.

I would not add gas to the house if was me. That gets very expensive.

Are there any vents form your HVAC system flowing into the basement now?

Have you looked at some of the electric heaters? I have one of these things and they are awesome. It might be all you need for y
our basement.

http://www.pureenergystore.com/?gclid=CNvLjubw-6kCFYrb4AodjhjSYw

P.S. Please talk to me before you guys do anything!!!!!

There are vents, but the basement stays very cold. It stays cool in the summer too, which I don't mind. I did not plan on adding gas to anything but the wall mount heaters. The amount they would run, I don't think it would be that expensive, but I could be wrong. I just know our electric bill in the winter was 350-ish several times, and that was with us not really spending any time in the basement.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 1:03 pm

The heater above does not use much power at all. Chris, that is what I would get. Really! You would be surprised at how well it works.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Electric is the way to go, add a little cozy to the room with one of these Amish built fireplace models, they work great, my son has one in his basement.
http://www.heatsurge.com/
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 5:09 pm

Chris, I used the ventless natural gas wall mounts in my last house/garage workshop. I also used ventless gas logs in 3 rooms in the house. If you check around, you might like the ventless gas stoves (look like wood logs burning). I had one in the 500 sq ft bedroom at the other house and it ran us out. I had to put a thermostat set up to stop it. Propane tanks can be buried too, if you don't like the above ground ones.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
plumber
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2010-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 8:11 pm

AIRBORNE , You can do it yourself like gimpy said ventless natural gas If you need help let me know.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:06 pm

be nice to have backup when the power goes out, if you got natural gas it will continue to have pressure when the poer goes out, propane is $$$.

all have have pros and cons but i would seriously consider natural gas
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 9:54 pm

plumber wrote:
AIRBORNE , You can do it yourself like gimpy said ventless natural gas If you need help let me know.

You got a trencher? I need to run my gas line someday. It is over 900 feet to the house. I have a natural gas log and box from my last house. It fits inside and antique mirrored mantel with columns.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
plumber
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 7:47 pm

Gimpy wrote:
plumber wrote:

You got a trencher? I need to run my gas line someday. It is over 900 feet to the house. I have a natural gas log and box from my last house. It fits inside and antique mirrored mantel with columns.
No I don't have a trencher but I'm a plumber if you need some help
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:08 pm

plumber wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
plumber wrote:

Hum, I would have never guessed that..... roflmao

Hey do you do new construction?
Back to top Go down
plumber
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:22 pm

Big-R wrote:
plumber wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
plumber wrote:

Yes but I work for a company I'm not in business for myself. What you have
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:32 pm

plumber wrote:
Big-R wrote:
plumber wrote:
Gimpy wrote:
plumber wrote:

Yes but I work for a company I'm not in business for myself. What you have

Who do you work for?
Back to top Go down
plumber
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Nick Hooper Pluming
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue flame gas heaters   Blue flame gas heaters Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue flame gas heaters
Page 1 of 1