SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rhino Rear Brake?????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Rhino Rear Brake????? Empty
PostSubject: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:30 am

Well I guess it's time for rear brake replacement on the Rhino (640 miles). Got the dreaded Grinding (Like the whole back end is coming out affraid ) funny it only happens when I'm just about at a complete stop though, not at medium or high speed braking. Anyway before I tear into this thing, I thought I would ask you guys for any info that would be helpful. such as what pads, anything I should do with the rotor while i'm in there, ETC.... Any info is appreciated study .......Thanks, Yank
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:48 am

Well, I really like the EBC Severe Duty pads on mine. I also had a set on my Grizzly for over 900 miles. No issues. When I replaced mine, I found that my caliper was stuck. I had to completely remove the caliper and use some "forced persuasion" and a few "choice words" to fee it up. Other than that, it was no big deal. It's a good idea to drop the rear most skid, just for more access.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:58 am

EBC Sever Duty...just take the rear skid off easier to change just drop the caliper down and change from underneath
Back to top Go down
kykult64

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 2:20 pm

Make sure that you don't try to force the piston back into the caliper. Use a twisting motion in case the threaded piece inside the caliper is completely extended. I tried to force mine in with a C clamp, like I always did with my race bikes, and messed up the threaded piece attached to the piston. I am still trying to get it to work right. I was told that you cannot buy the parts on the inside of the caliper.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 4:05 pm

OK, I got the pads off. The one pad has about 1/8 inch of pad left, and the other pad is completely gone ( source of my awful noise). See pic's. Is that normal, and if not do you have any ideas why it is like that?

Rhino Rear Brake????? Rhinobrakerear001mf6
Rhino Rear Brake????? Rhinobrakerear001mf6.1a91bb115d

Rhino Rear Brake????? Rhinobrakerear002ne9
Rhino Rear Brake????? Rhinobrakerear002ne9.43c47ddab2
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 4:50 pm

That's just how mine looked, except I had a little more wear on the "good" pad.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 5:14 pm

Get the EBC Severe Duty Yankee you will like them :) Also both of my pads were worn about the same.The one thats wore the worse might be the one you used going down hill the most Rolling Eyes scratch study lol!
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 8:53 pm

mine was that bad but again worse on the other one...
Back to top Go down
broknbonz

broknbonz

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 9:12 pm

I'm sure these calipers are the floating design, if so there are pins or bolts with sleeves that the caliper moves back and forth (float's) on. If these become seized from mud,sand or just lack of lubrication they will seize in a fixed position and severely wear one side of the pads verses the other. They should move freely

told you guys I hate the mud Razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptySun May 18, 2008 11:03 pm

"told you guys I hate the mud "

Me too man,
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 4:41 pm

Do you all replace the shims with the pads or not?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Well I used the same shims and put on the new pads. Everything worked out and I am on the trail again cheers
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:52 pm

i reused my shims but mine didnt come with new ones
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 5:18 pm

A little Anti-Squeal between the shim and piston might cut down on a little niose too??
rebel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake?????   Rhino Rear Brake????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhino Rear Brake?????
Page 1 of 1