SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EMP front bumper

Go down 
+8
jodyt
ridepate
roadiestar
GunRunner
Dan
chipper
mason
AIRBORNE
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 6:08 am

Do you need any additional mounting hardware to mount a winch on the EMP front bumper (additional plate or bolts)? Any good pics of your setup would be nice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
mason
SSXSRider Member
mason

Number of posts : 2247
Registration date : 2009-04-07

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 am

no extra pieces winch bolts right to it
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 7:53 am

mason wrote:
no extra pieces winch bolts right to it

What about the piece that catches the winch hook. Dodd has a piece on the front of his where the fairlead is normally showing. Do you know what I am talking about?
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 9:58 am

I've seen a video of emp installing the bumper. It was either on rzr forums or on their web site. Looks simple and straight forward. Roadiestar on here, I think is his name has one now. He is the only one i've read that has had problems with it. The bumper is on my list of to gets.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-06-19

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:04 am

The rear cross bracket is very weak. I bent mine the first time I used it... and then I welded stiffeners across the weak spots...

EMP front bumper Dsc00510

I used four pieces of 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 6" long channel. This hasn't shown any sign of weakness the last 13 months since I added the stiffeners...
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 11:30 am

The emp bumper doesnt come with a fairlead mount, you will need that if you dont have one.

Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Dan

Dan

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:37 pm

The two winches I have bought came with a fairlead and mounting bracket.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:48 pm

I am sure the winch comes with a fairlead. His looked like it had some sort of a metal channel looking plate instead of a fairlead. Was just wondering what it was.
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Dan wrote:
The rear cross bracket is very weak. I bent mine the first time I used it... and then I welded stiffeners across the weak spots...

EMP front bumper Dsc00510

I used four pieces of 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 6" long channel. This hasn't shown any sign of weakness the last 13 months since I added the stiffeners...

Glad to see i'm not the first one to bend there bumper. They were giving me a rash of shit about bending mine. Now one of the braces cracked also, so I had to weld it back together.
Service sucks, bumper sucks,and the guy is a D@c%.

Bumper and servise = poo
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm

AIRBORNE wrote:
I am sure the winch comes with a fairlead. His looked like it had some sort of a metal channel looking plate instead of a fairlead. Was just wondering what it was.

Chris, that was probaly a syn-rope fairlead. No rollers when using the synthetic ropes.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 pm

I understand Pate. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
jodyt
SSXSRider Member
jodyt

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2009-03-01

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 am

Well, I am with Roadiestar...My connecting braces are broke all to pcs. I sent pictures of the breaks to EMP. They told me the breaks were not a flaw or desighn Failure...I call BS. It's costing me $40 to get new arms, I will pull the bumper off and fix their desighn flaws. You can bet your last Dollar I will never buy from them again! 2cents
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:35 am

I don't know about the EMP bumper. It is just a question because it is on the machine I am buying. But I always found Rick to be very courteous and helpful. I have talked to him on the phone and in PMs and never had a problem. I have never asked him to fix a mistake or problem though. Customer service does go a long way in my book.

Racertech fixed my broken lift kit........no questions asked. That is EXCELLENT customer service. Maybe EMP would do the same if you talked directly to the man. Worth a try anyway.
Back to top Go down
jodyt
SSXSRider Member
jodyt

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:48 am

I guess....but I shouldn't have to go to the Owner of the Company to get what is clearly a defective part fixed...I will just take my $$$ and spend it elswhere.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:19 pm

jodyt wrote:
I guess....but I shouldn't have to go to the Owner of the Company to get what is clearly a defective part fixed...I will just take my $$$ and spend it elswhere.
I am not a business owner, but when you have consumers like this group, I would do my best to make sure my employees remedied customer service issues. Most guys on this forum buy new machines frequently and LOTS of accessories. Word of mouth goes a loooooooooong way when it comes to where they spend money. I hate that your bumper is jacked up. I hope mine does not do this.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 pm

rick is the ower of EMP. call and talk with him. or PM him on this site. Clevelandemp

i have rode with him several times and is a great guy.
i do beleave that he says not to use a winch bigger than a 3000lb on the bumpers.

chris. all you need to mount the winch is the fairlead plate. if you dont have one let me know. i think i have one. allright
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Dan

Dan

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 12:45 pm

My winch is a 3K Warn. It bent the cross bracket the first time I used the winch.

I complained about the rear bracket bending... EMP wouldn't do squat about it...

I've examined Jody's photos. Both side plates have tensile tears caused by the flex of the cross bracket... see photo...
EMP front bumper Photo310
The inside corner where the crack starts is almost a perfect stress riser...
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 pm

You guys are having the same problems as me. He said on some post that I must work for a different company and am bashing his product.
There is no need to bash his product it speeks for it self. poo
It goes to show you you don't always get what you pay for.
Back to top Go down
jodyt
SSXSRider Member
jodyt

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Aug 19, 2011 7:52 am

After getting in the replacement arms I pulled the bumper off to replace the broken parts. I have a 3500# Viper winch mounted on this bumper, this POS was so weak that the plate the winch was mounted to had been pulled up almost 1". I took it to a welder and had it fixed the way it should have come from the MFG...Next week I will pull it back off and have the rest of the Weak points reinforced so I don't have any more issues out of this thing.

EMP front bumper Bumper10
EMP front bumper Bumper11
EMP front bumper Bumper12
Back to top Go down
ollie
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-04-18

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 11:54 am

Has anyone tried the warn bumper?
Back to top Go down
jodyt
SSXSRider Member
jodyt

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Finally got around to fixing the other weak links in this bumper...
EMP front bumper Rzr_bu10

EMP front bumper Rzr_bu11
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 2:12 pm

OMG Is that your RZR bumper?. If you guys want a super strong 150Lb bumper. Your probably better off building your own or just adding steel to one you buy. I my self would not want something that heavy on the front of my RZR. Have you ever had the plastics of a RZR and seen the frame including where the bumper mounts in the front. Its not that much there.
I've got a racer tech bumper thats reinforced. It was over priced, But I like it pretty well. It only weights 23Lbs so although its braced pretty well its not bullet proof I'm sure. I'd rather the bumper give then my frame.. Just something to consider when your adding bracing.
I wouldn't want it to break using the winch either. Might not want to beef it up to much though. cause then your moving the weak point back to the frame...
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm

Wow that totally sucks. I am sure glad I can say we have NEVER had one of our bumpers come back with any type of problem. I know if we ever did have any type of problem, we would fix it at no cost to the customer and fix it right the first time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
Dan

Dan

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 3:35 pm

The problem with the EMP is the flex at the upper frame attachment point... this flexing causes the side brackets to break at the rear ends...

I used 2 pieces on 6" long 1½ x ½ channel on the back side of each attachment point to stop the flex.

My 3K Warn has rolled the mounting surface on the bumper upward ~½" at the rear edge.

Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 6:34 am

Dan wrote:
The problem with the EMP is the flex at the upper frame attachment point... this flexing causes the side brackets to break at the rear ends...

I used 2 pieces on 6" long 1½ x ½ channel on the back side of each attachment point to stop the flex.

My 3K Warn has rolled the mounting surface on the bumper upward ~½" at the rear edge.

Got any pictures? I am starting to get concerned. I don't want to trash this bumper the first time I go to pull a heavy winching job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

EMP front bumper Empty
PostSubject: Re: EMP front bumper   EMP front bumper Empty

Back to top Go down

EMP front bumper
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next