SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability

Go down 
+9
GunRunner
RZRS-EDGE
AIRBORNE
Big-R
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Smith700
Hollon
Stakk
wvyankee2
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  Empty
PostSubject: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:21 am

Third Party Study Proves Yamaha’s Longstanding Claim of Most Durable CVT Transmission

CYPRESS, Calif. – Aug. 15, 2011 – Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A., has long touted its ATV and Side-by-Side (SxS) vehicles as being the toughest of their kind, and now a third party study conducted by ADP Lightspeed has proved that claim. More specifically, the ADP Lightspeed study shows that Yamaha has the most durable belt driven drivetrain in the industry.

Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  Yamaharhino20081

“A lot of companies say they make the toughest ATVs, but now Yamaha can clearly prove that claim in our CVT transmission system,” said Steve Nessl, Yamaha’s ATV and SxS group marketing manager. “The ADP study proves once and for all that our vehicles have the best CVT drivetrain reliability in the industry.”

Yamaha’s claim is based specifically on an ADP Lightspeed competitive comparison study of Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) belt components reported in warranty and non-warranty repair order records for 2007 to 2010 model year CVT belt-driven 4x4 ATVs with engines 400cc and above.
Yamaha’s reliable Ultramatic® automatic transmission system features an exclusive centrifugal clutch that allows the drive belt to remain under constant tension providing a key point of durability – something that sets it apart from competing models. Also exclusive to Yamaha’s Ultramatic system is the one way sprag clutch that not only aides in durability but provides the most natural feeling four wheel engine braking for maximum traction and rider confidence. This exclusive system is used in Yamaha’s toughest, most off-road capable ATVs and SxS vehicles including the Grizzly 700 ATV, Grizzly 550 ATV, Grizzly 450 ATV and Rhino 700 SxS vehicle.
A video on Yamaha’s website demonstrates how the Ultramatic system works as compared to the competition:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/advantages/534/1/0/advantages.aspx
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Ok, I gotta take this one and Yea I'm gonna get some flack......

Yes, this design is very durable, centrifugal clutch running in oil, belt stay's tight, clutch gets the machine moving and then belt pretty much takes care of the rolling momentum and shifting ratio.

I got all that......But it is funny how the most durable CVT system gets that rating form being used in the industries least powerful engines? the Ultramatic Yami system is used on single cylinder engines with the lowest horsepower and torque ratings in their class.... the Rhino has about 40hp.....Of course the CVT belt is going to last a long time. that isn't enough power to hurt anything. put that identical system in one of the bigger horsepower twin's. and guess what the result will be? more issue's......that's common sense.

Would it still be more durable that the Kawi/Polaris/Can Am systems that dont use a wet clutch? Maybe Yea, but my point is Yamaha is using fuzzy marketing and spinning facts here. all things considered, thier lack of power and torque form thier engines has as much to do with this ranking as the clutch design does.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:45 pm

they use the wet clutch system on the Arctic Cat 1000 XTZ and of all the things I bitched about with my Arctic Cat I gotta say the clutch wasnt really a problem, after I did the Airdam stage 3 mods on it that thing was a beast out of the hole considering the load it was carrying and after about 1500 miles of my lead foot the belt looked brand new. I could even shift from low to high without stopping or high to low if needed without stopping so something in there worked. but having 2 clutches robs power, gotta give somewhere to get something else
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:05 pm

No, A stock Rhino 700 has just over 25 HP to the wheels. But 40.2 the motor puts out. But HP numbers do not mean anything on a Rhino, it's all in your clutch tuning and how you have it set up. Yes, claiming big HP numbers sounds good, but really does not mean everything.....Ask anyone on RF.net, and thats what you will get.
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Smith700 wrote:
No, A stock Rhino 700 has just over 25 HP to the wheels. But 40.2 the motor puts out. But HP numbers do not mean anything on a Rhino, it's all in your clutch tuning and how you have it set up. Yes, claiming big HP numbers sounds good, but really does not mean everything.....Ask anyone on RF.net, and thats what you will get.

My point was not HP performance but durability issues. you take an actual Rhino CVT and hook it to a Teryx engine or a RZR 800 engine you will have more durability issues cause it's powering a 40 hp machine now slap the Commander 1000 or RZR 900 engine around the Rhino CVT and even more problems would come from the added power. I was trying to say it's pretty easy to have high durability when you don't have high horsepower tearing away at it.

As far as the Prowler CVT Yes it's a wet clutch CVT like the Yami system but it isn't the Yami system, If the Teryx, RZR, Prowler, Commanders all had just 40 hp they wouldn't have any belt slippage issues either.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino

WV Hot Rod Rhino

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2011-01-04

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I have tons of hp with no clutch issues...6700 miles
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino

WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:33 pm

I have seen them blow apart too..
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 pm

Smith700 wrote:
But HP numbers do not mean anything on a Rhino, it's all in your clutch tuning and how you have it set up.

Really?????
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:08 am

Big-R wrote:
Smith700 wrote:
But HP numbers do not mean anything on a Rhino, it's all in your clutch tuning and how you have it set up.

Really?????

I'm wondering the same thing. so you're saying HP doesn't matter with a properly tunes Yami CVT?

I guess a 10-12 hp Brigg's and Stratton or Kohler lawnmower engine would accelerate fine with a properly tuned Yami CVT?

Listen I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here, but All you have to do is go to Yamaha's site and watch the ATV comparisons and you'll just shake your head at the marketing BS. I never thought Yamaha would go down to that level. there have the Brute Force 750 and Sportman 850 as the direct comparison models and you can see the rider's on the Brute and Sportsman purposly make the machine's look like they are struggling and the Grizzly rider is having no problems, then they appear to be holding the brake on the Sportman with the CVT cover off while reving it to get the belt to slip and start smoking, along with having it in a ride shot locked against a rock or something in high range and then holding the throttle just above engagement to get the belt to smoke and fry.

I can go out and smoke the Grizzly belt as easy doing the same tactics. I'm just disappointed in Yamaha, I thought they had more class and integrity than to try and pull that type of marketing bullshit, I thought they were a more professional company that that.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 11:30 am

I agree. Yamaha Rhino was also downing the Polaris AWD system, saying it was not as reliable and predictable as the Yamaha's. I have not had any issues with my front wheels engaging on the RZR. I did like the diff lock option on the Rhino, but the way they did the clip was total BS and not accurate by my experience.

Yammy is a durable machine though! I never had any real issues with my Rhino.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 2:29 pm

My RHINO sucked!!!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm

RZRS-EDGE wrote:
My RHINO sucked!!!
roflmao
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Stakk

Stakk

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:13 pm

FYI:::::

Just reading thru the Sept 2011 issue of Dirt Wheels. they did a shootout between the 2012 Grizz 700 EPS and the 2012 Kawi 750 Brute EPS. They start by saying that since 2006-07 Yamaha has been fending off all other big bore (Dirt Wheels REALLY likes Yamaha, bear that in mind I nover thought they would say anything negative) stating there have been faster machines (Can Am) better storage (Sportsman) but none have had a more compete package.

Now the New redeseigned Brute steps up...

They recorded a top speed of 70mph on the Grizz and 75mph on the Brute.

Fuels economy was even, handling was about even, with the shocks on the grizz being slightly plusher.

They gave storage and ease of maintanance to the Kawi along with better airbox design.

on a 2/10th mile drag run, the Grizz reached 60mph, the Brute reached 64mph, so not even close.

The most interesting thing is this::: I am quoting after they on purpose sank both to the handlebars to take on water in the CVT's.

On another positive note with the Brute is with a wet CVT. the kawi was still able to pull itself to dry land to be drained. We had to PUSH the Grizz up onto dry land get it in position to drain the CVT system.
roflmao

An awesome durable troublefree system huh?

and their conclusion:::

Yamaha's Grizz 700 has met it's match with the Brute 750 EPS. The Kawi is not all around better but it's close. it has more exciting power, handles great, provides good fuel mileage, has better storage and is just plain fun to ride.

The Grizz has better brakes, more ground clearance, and plusher suspension. Yamah could stand to improve storage, and air filter access on the Grizz. Although we and many others like the smooth nature of the grizz 700, the power seems tame compared to the rest of the big bore 4x4's out there.

It took 5 years for someone to build a utility ATV as good as the Grizzly. Kawasaki did itwith the 2012 Brute force 750i EPS.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I would put my King Quad 700 up against a Grizzly any day of the week. It was faster, more nimble, and a better overall stance and feel (at least in my opinion). I don't like the Grizzly at all, especially the handlebars.
Back to top Go down
ollie
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:47 am

AIRBORNE wrote:
I would put my King Quad 700 up against a Grizzly any day of the week. It was faster, more nimble, and a better overall stance and feel (at least in my opinion). I don't like the Grizzly at all, especially the handlebars.

Ditto!
Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 am

My 08 700 RHINO has served us well, we work it it more then we play, we have pulled 8 cord of wood up a rocky 600 ft hill this summer with a trailer, cvt with belt has never slipped. WE also trail ride, the only issue i have with the 700 is mud and over heating, now carry a pump sprayer. WE are not about speed but power to the wheels and it does a graet job. Its mine , and paid for and I love it. Have 2600 miles , brakes and a tie rod, and thats it. Look foward to hauling deer up the same hill this fall.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino

WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 8:43 am

GunRunner wrote:
RZRS-EDGE wrote:
My RHINO sucked!!!
roflmao

all my buddys hate their oil burning rzrs roflmao roflmao roflmao
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:09 am

To be fair and balanced here, i have to report that the so called third party study was a little biased. Read below......

ADP Lightspeed DMS now integrated with Yamaha

Powersports Business
Tuesday August 23, 2011

ADP Lightspeed announced a data interface with Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. This integration allows dealers on the LightspeedNXT DMS to search Yamaha warehouse data within the Parts module.

By adding Yamaha data to the locator’s database, dealers will now be able to view availability of Yamaha products in regional warehouses without having to leave the invoicing screen in LightspeedNXT. Stocking data is loaded into LightspeedNXT’s locator database daily, keeping the information updated.

“The success of Yamaha has been built on a foundation of innovation and great customer service,” said Mo Murray, general manager, Yamaha Customer Support Group. “This new initiative taps into both and will allow our dealers to see at the parts counter, the availability of Genuine Yamaha Parts, Genuine Yamaha Accessories, GYTR, Star Custom Accessories and a host of vendor-branded items in our domestic warehouse network. This commitment to customer service excellence is found throughout our operations and is reflected in the operations of Yamaha dealers throughout the country. This new collaboration with ADP Lightspeed will benefit our dealers as well as our loyal owners.”

“We see this data interface with Yamaha as an enormous benefit to their dealers,” said Dave Johnson, manufacturer solutions and consulting with ADP Lightspeed. “By working together we will be able to deliver warehouse information right to the point of purchase, saving the dealer time and helping increase sales.”
ADP Lightspeed’s locator has become a popular tool for dealers, with over 1 million individual part searches to date. With this integration, Yamaha warehouse availability data will now be automatically added to relevant searches.
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:22 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
To be fair and balanced here, i have to report that the so called third party study was a little biased. Read below......

ADP Lightspeed DMS now integrated with Yamaha

Powersports Business
Tuesday August 23, 2011

ADP Lightspeed announced a data interface with Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A. This integration allows dealers on the LightspeedNXT DMS to search Yamaha warehouse data within the Parts module.

By adding Yamaha data to the locator’s database, dealers will now be able to view availability of Yamaha products in regional warehouses without having to leave the invoicing screen in LightspeedNXT. Stocking data is loaded into LightspeedNXT’s locator database daily, keeping the information updated.

“The success of Yamaha has been built on a foundation of innovation and great customer service,” said Mo Murray, general manager, Yamaha Customer Support Group. “This new initiative taps into both and will allow our dealers to see at the parts counter, the availability of Genuine Yamaha Parts, Genuine Yamaha Accessories, GYTR, Star Custom Accessories and a host of vendor-branded items in our domestic warehouse network. This commitment to customer service excellence is found throughout our operations and is reflected in the operations of Yamaha dealers throughout the country. This new collaboration with ADP Lightspeed will benefit our dealers as well as our loyal owners.”

“We see this data interface with Yamaha as an enormous benefit to their dealers,” said Dave Johnson, manufacturer solutions and consulting with ADP Lightspeed. “By working together we will be able to deliver warehouse information right to the point of purchase, saving the dealer time and helping increase sales.”
ADP Lightspeed’s locator has become a popular tool for dealers, with over 1 million individual part searches to date. With this integration, Yamaha warehouse availability data will now be automatically added to relevant searches.

I read this report weeks ago before it went public actually. Like I said Yes they have the higest rating, but it's rel easy to have a durable belt CVT when you don't have any real horsepower tearing away at it.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:27 am

I loved my Rhino. If it had not been such a slug I would have kept it. I hauled firewood, tree stands, dead deer, a large cooler full of "beverages" and just about anything else I wanted in that thing. It was a great machine. However, it was a 4 out of 10 on the fun scale whereas the RZR is a solid 9. That is my opinion after owning both and putting almost 2k miles on each.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 11:28 am

I should have gotten someone to hop up the motor in my Rhino!!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino

WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Ours was a 4 when we got it too ... but some $$$ later & it's an 11 lol ... 6700 hard miles too.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino

WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 12:38 pm

AIRBORNE wrote:
I should have gotten someone to hop up the motor in my Rhino!!

AIRBORNE ... just read all of your sig ... you from Huntington? Whats with the autobody specialist shout out ... you know any good ones in the area? I'm hurting for some good employees ... it seems like everybody around here is addicted to pills & don't want to work. WTF, you wouldn't know unemployment was through the roof @ my shop ... I'm willing to pay up to $20 an hour for a skilled, hard worker & can't even find applicants!!! If your from Huntington, next time your in we could strap you a roof to the top of the Rhino & meet you in Montgomery LOL.
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:16 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
GunRunner wrote:
RZRS-EDGE wrote:
My RHINO sucked!!!
roflmao

I've had both Rhino & RZR....Rhino with 750 miles slipped the belt at Callalantee
trying to climb some rocks in low range & 4wd...piece of Shit!!!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 10:32 pm

RZRS-EDGE wrote:
WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
GunRunner wrote:
RZRS-EDGE wrote:
My RHINO sucked!!!
roflmao

I've had both Rhino & RZR....Rhino with 750 miles slipped the belt at Callalantee
trying to climb some rocks in low range & 4wd...piece of Shit!!!

Yeah, I would like to see the hill you were trying to climb.......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability    Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability  Empty

Back to top Go down

Yamaha ATV and SxS Vehicles have Industry's Best Drivetrain Durability
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next