SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changed sheaves,

Go down 
+2
pit dog
Mud-and-Guts
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 am

Shortly after getting my bike I ordered the whiterhino cut sheave with 12 gram rollers and was really impressed but keep my stock sheave just in case. After seeing everyone with such good luck with James sheaves and the greaseless weights I decided it was time for a change. With over 2000 miles on my whiterhino cut I sent James my stock sheave and told him I wanted everything I needed with his cut, a new cam plate, and the 12 gram greaseless sliders. I got out today and did a few runs before changing the sheave's and then a few after to see just how they compared in a drag race setup and the JBS sheave came out on top every-time. There wasn't a huge difference but it was noticeable.. The big gain was in performance just off idle, the rhino has a lot more wheel spin than it did with the whiterhino cut sheave and 12 gram rollers, it actually feels like the belt is slipping just off idle because the rpms jump so fast.

I found two holes in the belt cover due to the belt riding so high in the secondary with the old sheave. After finding this I expected the JBS sheave to lag behind on take off but found just the opposite the JBS sheave actually pulls better, even has more wheel spin. You can feel a big difference down low on the trails and climbing hills but on level ground in the video you can't see it, in the video on the road there isn't much difference in speed gain down low but the JBS sheave pulls better on top. I wish I had gotten some video on an uphill grade..

The JBS sheave looks to be cut smoother and a little deeper on the bottom and not cut at all on the outer edge like the old sheave was. I suppose the rough cutting on the outer edge was what caused the shift/lag at 30-32 and it also allowed the weights to sling out further/harder causing less acceleration from 32+. With more power I assume this cutting would allow a faster accel but on my bike just not enough power to pull it.

The shading sucks in my video but maybe it will give you an idea..

Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:25 pm

James does great work. A lot of good reviews on it. Rhino forum has a good video compared to a hunterworks sheave,and it really shined.
Back to top Go down
Sporto
SSXSRider Member
Sporto

Number of posts : 688
Registration date : 2009-07-10

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I know it woke my Rhino up when I put one of his sheaves in. It was a totally different machine at every level.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Love my Hot Rod Sheave, with 16gr OD weights, and a Gold EPI secondary sheave spring...... cheers cheers

Money well spent for any Rhino.. Chug
Back to top Go down
TBONE21
SSXSRider Member
TBONE21

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2011-02-15

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 8:45 pm

James builds a great product. It really wakes up a rhino and I think the motor likes it! Sounds great!
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2008-11-08

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 12:42 pm

I hope to get 1 for my 450 SOON from him
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/minor37617
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 9:07 pm

jerr_81 wrote:
I hope to get 1 for my 450 SOON from him

I don't guess I had 100 mile son my 450 when I changed mine the first time and I got to say it is the best money you can spend on the 450 rhino, and a simple task to install..

Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Yea I've already been in there I put a clutch kit in it. That's the only thing I haven't done to mine besides breaking into motor
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:35 pm

jerr_81 wrote:
Yea I've already been in there I put a clutch kit in it. That's the only thing I haven't done to mine besides breaking into motor

I am not at all happy with this video due to the shading so I mentioned to Brandon next weekend I was thinking about redoing it and we got to talking between the two of us we have a stock sheave, JBS sheave, a unleashed utv sheave, and the whiterhino sheave. If all goes well and the rain holds off next Saturday we have plans of cleaning them all up and then running them all one at a time in my bike to see which one we like best along with which one gives the best performance. I wish we had some 14 gram stock weights so I could do a test with basically a stock setup but we do not so I guess we will use the 12 grams in the stock sheave..
Back to top Go down
jerr_81
SSXSRider Member
jerr_81

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Ok sweet I'll watch for it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changed sheaves, Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changed sheaves,   Changed sheaves, Empty

Back to top Go down

Changed sheaves,
Page 1 of 1