SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mattress Shopping

Go down 
+14
slopoke
ridepate
pit dog
launch22
Hollon
chipper
GunRunner
PWM
Foxfire
MarkM
BigMotts
Woodtick
Gimpy
DirtDawber
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Dirt Chic and I have been mattress shopping for a couple weeks. We were hoping to make a decision this past weekend and bring a new one home, but we are still on the fence about what to buy.

She has a messed up back from a vehicle accident from some 12 years ago and needs whatever will support her spine properly.
I have the lazy ass and just want something comfortable.

We have laid on a bunch, foam, spring, pillow, gel, etc and they all seem to feel pretty good, but, which one will give support/comfort far into the future and not be a total crappy ass piece of junk in just 5 years, like the one we have now, that was over $1200. That equals to $240 a year to sleep on the junk ass thang.

Anyway, any of you'uns bought a new'un lately? Do/did you have special needs for it? How you liking it and do you think it will last like a Yamaha? Cool thatsright

Thanks for ANY help!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 8:21 pm

I have bulged disc's in my back. I used to sleep only on a water bed for about 20 years. Got tired of those leaking and burned out heaters. About 6 or 7 years ago we put out for a Sleep Comfort Sleep Number and will never go back to anything else. She makes her side less firm and I can change mine to whatever I like. After about 2 or 3 years I had to put out for one in our travel trailer. We bought the queen with the pillow top for about $1,200. We had the box spring, which is just a plywood box covered with mattress material, from our water bed. You probably don't need an outlet store, as they ship them anyway. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm

My sister in law is a nurse and on her feet ALL day EVERY day on the concrete floors of the hospital. She has a number of back issues from it. She and the B I L
went with a sleep number and she says it's the best thing since sliced bread. I too have been thinking about one for some time now. The wife and I both have had back surgery (me twice) and we are getting due for a new mattress as well. Let us know what you choose and how you end up liking it. Thanks
Back to top Go down
BigMotts
Forum Sponsor
BigMotts

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Tempur Pedic

love mine......I mean ...I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

i have a bad back and now look forward to naps and bedtime Wink
Back to top Go down
MarkM
SSXSRider Member
MarkM

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2009-04-19

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:17 am

The wife and I just bought a new set a month ago. Gotta say I'm really glad we picked this one... Stearns & Foster Ultra Firm. It's a coil in a coil system. No sagging on this one after a yr like alot of them. I hope you pick a good one. allright
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 7:48 am

cheers Good infos y'all... keep it coming! allright
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 am

Sorry DD...can't help ya here as I never get to sleep.....just keep on truckin.
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:36 am

Tempur Pedic
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 am

The sleep number will give her many options and changability for her back, otherwise the temperpedics are highly rated but very expensive. And i figured they just being foam would last forever but a friend has one that is about 6 years old and it is starting to breakdown. allright
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Number of posts : 1035
Registration date : 2010-12-30

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am

GunRunner wrote:
The sleep number will give her many options and changability for her back, otherwise the temperpedics are highly rated but very expensive. And i figured they just being foam would last forever but a friend has one that is about 6 years old and it is starting to breakdown. allright

The wife has been looking at the temperpedic for her bad hips. The do have a 20 year full replacement warranty with their mattress, I did make sure of that before she buys one.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:53 am

Foxfire wrote:
Sorry DD...can't help ya here as I never get to sleep.....just keep on truckin.
Sleep when yer dead? Sleep
GET YER DEAD ASS UP, BRYAN !!! deadhorse
lol!
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 am

chipper wrote:
The wife has been looking at the temperpedic for her bad hips. The do have a 20 year full replacement warranty with their mattress, I did make sure of that before she buys one.

Are you going to/have you already checked your Sleep Outfitters store? We were going to come over there Saturday, but got held up. One of Dirt Chic's Aunt's got a Tempurpedic there a couple weeks ago and said they were able to beat everyone elses price.
If you do shop there, please let me know how the experience went.
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 1:57 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
chipper wrote:

Are you going to/have you already checked your Sleep Outfitters store? We were going to come over there Saturday, but got held up. One of Dirt Chic's Aunt's got a Tempurpedic there a couple weeks ago and said they were able to beat everyone elses price.
If you do shop there, please let me know how the experience went.

We talked with a friend of the wife's up there and she said the temperpedic prices are non negotiable and they raise the prices $40 every 4 months. They do have a 0% interest for 3 years and free delivery with 2 of their pillows right now.

She hasn't decided yet but I just I want to approve it. Good luck and I'll let you know what I come up with.
Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Tempur Pedic
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Anything but the air chambers, will eventualy where down and sag. Pam has had 2 back surgeries and will not sleep on anything but the sleep comfort/sleep number.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
launch22
SSXSRider Member
launch22

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 pm

Sleep number brother! If my back is hurting I make it firm. If I'm feeling good I make it soft. You can make it anything you want it to be. We have had ours two years now. I spent the extra cash and got the one with the cooling pad and memory foam top. I don't like to be hot, and I read some of the cheaper ones without the top were hot.
Back to top Go down
launch22
SSXSRider Member
launch22

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 9:27 pm

BTW, my dad has both a temperpedic and a sleep number. He has had several surgeries on his back. He goes Back and forth between the two, but they use the sleep number the most.
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Paid 1400 for mine,they suck. They are about 3 years old. Wish I had got a sleep number.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:02 am

chipper wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

Might want to read it close, my friend called about his and was told he had to ship it to the factory on his own dime and if they replaced it they would send him a new one.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 am

GunRunner wrote:
chipper wrote:
GunRunner wrote:

Might want to read it close, my friend called about his and was told he had to ship it to the factory on his own dime and if they replaced it they would send him a new one.

Thanks Gunny, I'll check into that. That part was not mentioned to me by the lady. I'll be damned if I spend $3000+ and get jacked around like that.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Both of us having some time off from work today, we played another round of 'mattress roulette'. We've been talking up what each liked and disliked about the ones we tried out today. The store had, Tempurpedic, Restonic, Serta and a couple 'white label' brands.

5th place: 'white labels' Coils with pillow top. Not to bad if price is your only object.
4th place: Serta coils with memory foam topper. A pretty comfortable bed, but just did not feel the support.
3rd place: Restonic coils with memory foam topper. A nice and comfortable bed with good feeling support, but, lying on our sides, it felt to us like it was trying to, roll us over to our bellies.
2nd place: Tempurpedic. Great support, but neither of us could get perfectly comfortable on it.
1st place: Serta i-Comfort memory and gel foam. When we got on this one (Revolution model), we rolled over, face to face with big grins.
Great support and felt, 'right at home' on the comfort level.

After the discussion tonight to finalize our feelings, we will call tomorrow and order up the i-Comfort!
There is a big bummer though... this was the only mattress, out of all our candidates, that they did not have in stock. Mad
So, it will be next week before we get to try it out. Sad

I want to thank you all for the help and support !!!!!!!!

Just remember: When you go on a journey, the only thing you need to bring along with you to survive is:
THE SOUTHERN SIDE BY SIDE RIDERS !!!!!!!!!!!! humper allright Rhino RZR Prowler and bush Cop Mattress Shopping 13435

Last edited by DirtDawber on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixed bed model: is Revolution not Evolution)
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Did ya'll get that from Sleep Outfitters? I don't remember that mattress there. I'll tell the wife to take it for a little test spin. I'm glad ya'll found something you like.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:09 pm

It will be from Kemper's in Hazard. I believe y'all have one too?
Yep, tell her to give it a whirl, it worked for us!
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 pm

I've inspected thousands..................DO NOT buy a Sealy or Serta of ANY flavor nor a Sterns and Foster........

About 70% of poor mattress performance is due to improper set-up. If you buy a bed frame at the furniture store and it only has 3 or 4 thin slats and three or less legs on the slats, add slats.
I recommend at least 6 on a king ,1 x 6's do the best, 1 x 4's are ok as long as you put legs on all of them.

The Tempurpedics are set-up sensitive also. Buy the ergo-base, don't try to cheap out without it, but don't buy the massage ,bells and whistle base, it will break..............
Back to top Go down
chipper
SSXSRider Member
chipper

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
It will be from Kemper's in Hazard. I believe y'all have one too?
Yep, tell her to give it a whirl, it worked for us!

I.think we do and may go tey it out. She was reading.the reviews online and it says there is a long breaking period on them. I guess she says they are comfy in store then hard once It's home and takes several weeks to break in. Maybe we will give it a whirl too. I did like the temperpedic but I hate the price though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mattress Shopping Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mattress Shopping   Mattress Shopping Empty

Back to top Go down

Mattress Shopping
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next