SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anone up for giving advice?

Go down 
+12
DOG
MuddyBuddy
jasonch
Joe.USMC
Foxfire
Craig_C
wvyankee2
Rhino Rob
theshane_79
ridepate
Stakk
SCRIDER
16 posters
AuthorMessage
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2012-02-09

Anone up for giving advice? Empty
PostSubject: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 pm

Alright fellas, i just joined the forum and i will be buying a Rhino in the next couple of weeks. All i have seen on Craigslist is people selling their Rhinos with this same statement, "will trade for Polaris RZR". I do a lot of hunting and the Rhino seems to be the best fit for me. Is it a lot weaker than a RZR? Just trying to figure out why the RZR seems to be what everyone is going with. The guys that own them even talk about howmuch they tear up. Is the Rhino plenty capable og trail riding at places like Windrock and handle pretty tough terrain? One last question for whoever is kind enough to respond to a new guy, I am buying a used one, is the 700 definitely woth the money or should i save a couple thousand on the 660? Thanks for any info guys, looking forward to hitting the trails with some of you this year.

Last edited by SCRIDER on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:38 pm

Eat
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 10:50 pm

I knew that emoticon would pop up. Give me some feedback Stakk. What's coming my way? RZR guys gonna jump all over this one.
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Ok, my 2 cents, IF you are going to be hunting quite a bit and riding, and your buying used, the Rhino will serve you well. It should be dependable and a jack of all trades master of none type UTV. The RZR craze is for sure in high gear, it is now the pure recreational machine of choice, but is light on utility useage, the RZR popularity is summed up by me by the term "fun factor" they give a thrill no other can match, and because of that owners tolerate more issue's than other brands, I'M NOT SAYING THEY ARE JUNK, just from my research owners have told me, they are just so damn fun you put up with working on them a little more than other brands, I've had a least a dozen owners tell me that during survey work.

The Rhino is capable of going about anywhere a RZR will go, just expect to get there slower. If I were buying a Rhino I would get the 700, the EFI and better airbox design are much better than the old 660
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:10 pm

That pretty much sums it up Stakk. Thanks man.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Don't forget a Ranger. More H.P., More towing/hauling and much better 4wd system.
Back to top Go down
theshane_79

theshane_79

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2011-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:18 am

i agree with considering the Ranger. They are plenty capable and priced very well i think. i think u can get a new 500 ranger for around 8 i think. and i would think the 500 ranger would have just as much power as a 700 rhino considering the rev limiter on the rhino. i have allways been a yamaha man. i think they are tuff and dependable. but now i own 2 polaris. seems to me the polaris is not made near as well as yamaha but they do seem much more simple as far as working on them. i would have bought a new rhino sport if it wasnt for the rev limiter issue. i think they can only go 39 miles an hour, but the 700 motor has much more power that just goes unused. im sure u could bypass it somehow but i dont want to start working on a brand new machine. i bought the rzr s model and i know now that i made the right decision for me. it has all the power i was looking for but most important is the excellent stability it has. the ride is also unmatched in my opinion. just depends on if u think 39 miles an hour will suit you or not. i dont allways go that fast but if i want to i can hit 60 or more very easy. i love my rzr s.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 am

i wouldnt have a polaris is it was given to me.... Yamaha is what started this and always have been dependable and near bulletproof, the only major concern has been the issue of bearings. They dont catch on fire from the factory . suck dust thru the airbox destroying the engine like 08s like polaris..... Every body that has been on here for awhile started on a rhino, and when something newer came out they jumped on the bandwagon, an lobehold, all the threads with what they tore up on the last ride and what needs to be replaced with stronger aftermarket parts...

Hey but i always go for value when i spend my money, I use my rhino more for hunting and riding around on the farm and some solo riding to areas where you break down, you better have matches to build a fire. I went for reliability. not speed.

Now having said that, i do tip my hat to polaris for having the best trail riding machine,, according to what all the short bus drivers say in their posts.

But it really comes down to what you want to do with your side by side and with that i hope you continue to do your research into what you want. They all are good machines and its just what you want to do with your money. spend it on gas for riding or gas and repairs.

That was for the popcorn kernel eaters and their left handed comments... hmm i think i was a little lefty there too. lol!

Good luck with your decision, but IMO your on the right track
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:50 am

Rhino Rob wrote:

Now having said that, i do tip my hat to polaris for having the best trail riding machine,, according to what all the short bus drivers say in their posts.

roflmao
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 am

If your set on a Rhino, Id go for the 700 for the advantages that come from EFI,,,,especially being a hunter and needed it to start on cold mornings!

Id maybe also consider a Ranger, I see them cheap on CL alot.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 am

Rhino is a great machine......Ranger is a great machine......the Prowler is a great machine...
all super for all around fun/work. I may have a nice Prowler for sale.....shoot me a pm if you have any interest.
Back to top Go down
Joe.USMC

Joe.USMC

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2012-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 am

If you are going to be putting it in the woods allot and riding on old four wheeler trails, not old logging roads Id say Rhino. I didnt consider a ranger due to how wide it is. My first accessory would have been a chainsaw if I would have tried to hunt out of a ranger. RZR's are fun as hell but they are not worth a damn as far as totting you and your buddy and your hunting gear in the bed. Iv read lots of post on here about wheel bearings going bad but I guess iv been lucky, 1,500 miles and they are still good. You can bypass the rev limiter if you want more speed. My 08 700 only did 39 MPH as others have stated. Mine is 4 seated and caged running 26 ITP XTR's and I wanted more low end TQ. I went with this
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/588/23694

AND THIS
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/588/34145

AND THIS
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/588/34146
AND THIS
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/588/34146

and a 2mm primary shim.

It made a drastic improvement. Iv seen 52 MPH with me and a buddy and still didnt hit the rev limiter. He has full install videos on how to do the kit. If you do not know someone with it already you would need a clutch tool for the secondary
http://www.hunterworks.com/inc/sdetail/588/27908
It really helped out the bottom end, which i really needed due to it being weighted down with kids, and almost 400 lbs of adults in it. Here is a pic of my Rhino.
Anone up for giving advice? IMG_1484
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:41 am

I went from a rhino to ranger last year. They are in two different worlds as far as utility and recreation goes, I would take the ranger any day. Just my thoughts though.
I did love my rhino though, good memories, my first side by side. Very reliable machine!
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 pm

If you plan on just trial riding and doing nothing else get a rzr, if you want to trail ride better than a rzr and still haul lots of stuff and be the coolest guy out there get a commander!!! Haha in all seriousness the best balance of work and play in my eyes is the commander. If your more work then get a ranger, if your all play get a rzr. If you dont want to break things every weekend get a rex or a rhino. The rex's and rhinos are amazing machines and yes trust me get a 700 if you can! Hell last weekend we had a rhino with us that kept up just fine!! I miss my old one it takes alot to kill em and they are dependable and will keep up just fine!!

Whatever you buy you will be pleased and we will all be here to help you out when ya need some good info! Or a beer on the trail, or to bend your tie rod back straight, or find your tire cause it broke off and rolled down the trail, or fix your fuel pump with a mtn. dew bottle, or if you feel like shooting something, etc etc........
Back to top Go down
Craig_C

Craig_C

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 1:46 pm

I gotta hear more about this mountain dew fuel pump mod!!!

And the whole tire rolling down the trail....I know all about that!! Took us 30 mins to find the tire!
Back to top Go down
SCRIDER

SCRIDER

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 6:37 pm

This is some great advice, i will be posting pics within a couple of weeks of the machine i choose to go with. The Rhino seems to be the perfect fit for me, we'll see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:54 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Rhino Rob wrote:

roflmao
sup bro ?? cheers
Back to top Go down
DOG
SSXSRider Member
DOG

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2010-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:01 pm

smith 700 has a nic erhino for sale with every mod under the sun already done to it. u might want to send him a message if you want a used rhino for sure his is and 09 700
Back to top Go down
Dean
SSXSRider Member
Dean

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 pm

My old RHINO has 11,000 on it runs like a champ go with the 700
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Just get you a teryx! Big v twin,well made. And less money seen a new one on e-bay 8900.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 10:38 am

ridepate wrote:
Don't forget a Ranger. More H.P., More towing/hauling and much better 4wd system.

I agree with the Ranger. ARMY rides more/worse stuff than I will with his Ranger versus my RZRS.

Here he is showing off

Anone up for giving advice? E62cf8
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:07 pm

2cents Have had my Rhino three years we do every thing with the Rhino, haul firewood, and deer,WE take it to Brimstone, Windrock and Black mountain. Three thousand miles all I have done is brakes and whelel bearings. Put a shroud on the radiator to keep mud off or they will over heat.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Craig_C wrote:

And the whole tire rolling down the trail....I know all about that!! Took us 30 mins to find the tire!

Haha a mod of necessity.... i went through 3 fuel pumps in 2 months for some reason and one left me stranded at the bottom of a hill on brimstone so AIRBORN and Heith took a mtn dew bottle cleaned it out poked a hole in it I had a spare air line nipple that we attached to it and used a gravity fed system to get me back home. It actually worked pretty good!
Back to top Go down
Dean
SSXSRider Member
Dean

Number of posts : 1210
Registration date : 2010-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Ride Pate could take the guy above uplaugh
Back to top Go down
jasonch

jasonch

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm

MuddyBuddy wrote:
Craig_C wrote:

Haha a mod of necessity.... i went through 3 fuel pumps in 2 months for some reason and one left me stranded at the bottom of a hill on brimstone so AIRBORN and Heith took a mtn dew bottle cleaned it out poked a hole in it I had a spare air line nipple that we attached to it and used a gravity fed system to get me back home. It actually worked pretty good!

Can't stop a country boy! Good thinking
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anone up for giving advice?   Anone up for giving advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anone up for giving advice?
Page 1 of 1