SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new riding park opening

Go down 
+3
gullyjumper
RZRS-EDGE
stoneman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
stoneman
SSXSRider Member
stoneman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-05-07

new riding park opening Empty
PostSubject: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:08 pm

talked to jason from eastnatv yesterday and he told me that on sunday he rode with the mayor of mountain city, tn. The town is opening a riding park in january this year, riders will be able to access gas food etc. also he said this was not part of callentee riding park
Back to top Go down
RZRS-EDGE
SUPER P
RZRS-EDGE

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyWed May 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Stoneman, do you know if there is a web site yet??...and do you
mean Jan of next year?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
gullyjumper

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-02-05

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:14 pm

What is the name of the park?
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:22 pm

gullyjumper wrote:
What is the name of the park?

Yeah, Name? Size? Website?
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:33 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
stoneman
SSXSRider Member
stoneman

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:08 am

he did not give me any infomation beyond what i wrote but i call him to get updates and i will let you guys know
Back to top Go down
jasondprice

jasondprice

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:33 am

Its on Doe Mountain I have talked to several people from the area, there is a link talking about mayor riding that area where they will open but I cant post links yet for some reason. I sale Centurylink stuff and talked to a 70 year old lady who said she rides the trails alot, but she lives on land connecting to it. you cant find much on it, but google that, thats where they will be if they open it.
Back to top Go down
jasondprice

jasondprice

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:34 am

Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey says Tennessee’s state government is considering buying an 8,600-acre tract in Johnson County with hopes of developing a “multi-use park for tourism purposes.”

The property, located on Doe Mountain, was a planned residential community that fell through after the developer passed away, Ramsey said.

“They are in bankruptcy now, and we are working with The Nature Conservancy and others to help purchase the property and develop it for ATVs (all-terrain vehicles), mountain biking and hiking,” Ramsey, R-Blountville, said of the venture. “We have to see what we can do to take advantage of Mountain City’s (the county seat of Johnson County) natural beauty, and I think this is something that can happen. ... I do believe this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

The Nature Conservancy is currently doing a feasibility study examining uses for the property, said Ramsey. Gov. Bill Haslam, a Republican, recently visited Mountain City with Ramsey.

“The word is out (about the venture). ... When the governor was there, several people asked about it,” said Ramsey, who as a state senator represents Johnson County.

Ramsey suggested The Nature Conservancy could buy the property, and then the state could acquire it over two or three payments similar to large land acquisitions conducted during the administration of Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen.

Ramsey said the property has been appraised at $17 million but could go for about $8.5 million.
Back to top Go down
jasondprice

jasondprice

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:38 am

This is from April 22, 2012.. Looks like they are definitely ready to do it!!

State Purchase of Doe Mountain for $8.5 Million in the Works

Financial and legislative pieces are coming together for the state of Tennessee and The Nature Conservancy to buy and develop Johnson County's Doe Mountain into a multi-use tourist attraction for all-terrain vehicles, biking, horseback riding and hiking.

Continuing a report by Hank Hayes::

"It's looking good. ... We should know something within a month or so where we are on this. ... I'm trying to keep it low key ... (but) I think everything will be fine," Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, R-Blountville, said of the venture.

Last December, Ramsey said the Doe Mountain venture could have a similar economic impact as Southwest Virginia's 34-mile Virginia Creeper Trail, which is open to hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. He envisioned spin-off businesses like campgrounds, restaurants and bike shops.

The 8,600-acre Doe Mountain property was a planned residential development that fell through, according to Ramsey.

Gov. Bill Haslam's administration has set aside $8.5 million in the state's current budget, plus $300,000 in a supplemental appropriation to pay for the property, according to administration spokesman Dave Smith.

Smith noted the Doe Mountain acquisition is on the State Building Commission Executive Subcommittee's agenda on Monday.

The Nature Conservancy State Director Gina Hancock said the plan is for The Nature Conservancy to buy the property and "hold it until the state buys it from us."

The Tennessee Senate, meanwhile, has passed amended legislation creating a Doe Mountain Recreation Authority to manage the property.

The authority's 15-member board includes appointments by the governor, legislature and local government to reflect conservation , outdoor recreation and economic development interests. The Nature Conservancy will also have a seat on the board.

The authority will have the power to develop the property and issue bonds if needed, according to the legislation, which awaits a floor vote in the House.

"There are still many more steps to take," Hancock said in an e-mail. "The Nature Conservancy, Governor (Bill) Haslam and Lieutenant Governor Ramsey are committed to finding strategies for protecting Doe Mountain while also developing multirecreational opportunities for the public.

"The vision for Doe Mountain involves engaging the state's land managers and the local community in developing a multi-use recreation approach that will include scenic touring by ATVs, mountain biking, hiking, horseback riding and other activities. Our goal will be to develop a management plan for the mountain that will set up the appropriate locations for different activities as well as build in protective management approaches that protect water quality and maintain a largely intact forest cover.

"We view this project as an opportunity to work with the state to develop conservation opportunities that also help promote tourism and help economic development."

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency Assistant Director Nat Johnson pointed out TWRA used to oversee Doe Mountain as a wildlife management area.

Johnson noted the authority's board will be unique because TWRA will hold a seat as well as the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation and Department of Economic and Community Development.

"We have been on the side of developing that (authority) legislation," Johnson said. "We will be part of the management authority developed to run it. We're very excited about this new way of managing a piece of property where it can be managed for economic development and make sure the resources are saved. ... This will make sure all the voices are heard in the best way possible."
Back to top Go down
jasondprice

jasondprice

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:40 am

From May 9th 2012

Local News

Story published: 05-09-2012 • Print Article • E-mail Story to a Friend

Doe Mountain safe at last

By Jonathan Pleasant
After months of debate, discussion, and worry about its future, the more than 8,600 acres that make up Doe Mountain have been bought and saved by the state of Tennessee to preserve for Johnson County’s future. Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey was a key element in helping to secure the mountain, which takes up a significant central portion of the county. At 8.8 million dollars, some members of the state legislature have been understandably concerned about including the project in the state’s proposed budget, but thankfully Ramsey has been a bastion of support for East Tennessee.

Having passed the Senate, the appropriation hit a snag in the House, as Western Democrats and some Republicans debated the expense. Fortunately, State Representative Scotty Campbell was able to work with Ramsey to gain the necessary support to pass the funding. “This is the biggest thing that has happened to Johnson County in a long time,” said Ramsey. “Not only will it promote their natural beauty, it will be a huge economic boon to them. We’ve studied what other places have done for ATV parks and bike paths and walking paths. When we get this structure put together, it will provide a lot of jobs for Johnson County.”

In addition to the funding the state also passed a bill creating a Doe Mountain Board of Authority. Unlike other similar land acquisitions in the past, Doe Mountain will become its own entity and will not be under another department such as the TWRA or TDEC. According to County Mayor Larry Potter, who has been heavily involved in the project since the land first became available, the board of authority will include both the county and city mayors, representatives from the TWRA, TDEC, and other state departments including economic development.

Although nothing is yet official Potter has already been looking extensively into the possibilities. The primary goal for Doe Mountain will be to create a network of multiuse trails. The first will likely be geared toward hikers and mountain bikers, because those trails are the easiest to construct, but Potter also sees ATV and OHV trails becoming very popular in the project.

There are several destinations that are currently being looked at including most prominently a retired forest service fire tower on one of the mountain’s main peaks as well as more scenic and localized areas such as Chimney Rock on the southern end of the mountain. Trails will likely be developed with different difficulties in mind to provide access to a wide variety of people. Potter has been researching examples of other such projects in the area, including the Hatfield-McCoy Trails system and the Pinnacle Trail in Unicoi County.

Access to the trails will likely be fee based with options for day use or extended period permits. The trailhead will probably be in the former headquarters of the Daniel’s Trace development off Harbin Hill Road. This would have also been the access point to the development if it had succeeded. Unfortunately, poor planning and the sudden death of one of the major developers led that project into foreclosure and began the race to save the mountain.

As the banks began looking for buyers, some of the first and most prominent were logging companies who sought to buy the land, clear cut it, and then salvage it for whatever price they could get after they were done. A couple of offers came very close to succeeding, but thankfully county and state officials acted quickly and helped prevent what could have been an environmental and economic disaster.

To read the entire story, pick up a copy of this week's Tomahawk.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:41 am

8,600 acres would get my interest. I wish I had 8.5 million.
Back to top Go down
jasondprice

jasondprice

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 1:14 am

When they open stoneman and I will go first weekend and let you all know what it's like, that's only like 40 minutes away from us.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:54 am

jasondprice wrote:
When they open stoneman and I will go first weekend and let you all know what it's like, that's only like 40 minutes away from us.

Cool, I can't wait to hear a report......
Back to top Go down
navestoy

navestoy

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening EmptyTue May 29, 2012 5:39 am

i have rode there a few times already my parents live at the bottom of the mountain. Right now its all flat easy cruising trails. But looks to have many places to make some very good trails.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new riding park opening   new riding park opening Empty

Back to top Go down

new riding park opening
Page 1 of 1