SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stainless Steel Tie rodes

Go down 
+2
Big-R
Wally Jones
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Wally Jones

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-03

Stainless Steel Tie rodes Empty
PostSubject: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 7:20 pm

I now have new Big Horn tires on my prowler and have bent my right tie rod in a large mud hole. I have ordered new tie rods but my son in law suggested that we take the dementions of the tie rod and make it in Stainless Steel, match the threading at the end where it seems to bend. Has anyone tried this? I read in one of the sites about someones brother who was making sleeves to go over the tie rod but nothing about Stainless Steel. Would anyone else be interested? I have a 2007 Prowler XT and wonder if the tie rods are the same in any newer modles. Wally - Adams County Ohio
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Wally,

I know nothing about AC. However, we have a few guys on here that do. So hang in there and someone will chime in soon. study
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Stainless would not be my metal of choice. It is too soft. I would check into those sleeves your talking about. A friend of mine put one on his Jeep Wrangler, and it worked great.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyTue Jun 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Ya....I gotta agree with Yank....no stainless for those parts. Wally....I do believe that all the Tie Rods are the same on all the Prowlers. ( I shouldn't say this cause I'll jinx myself) where did it break Wally? I've got almost 4000 miles and that has been one area that has given me no trouble.

woo hoo

Foxfire
Back to top Go down
Wally Jones

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptySat Jun 28, 2008 7:19 pm

The tie rod bent at the threaded end by the wheel. I ended up ordering replacement rods from Babbitts Sports center for about $16 a rod. Wally - Adams County Ohio
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptySun Jun 29, 2008 2:27 am

Foxfire......4ooo miles. That is impressive. Just curious........what kind of problems have you had with your Prowler? I know AC is making much better products these days.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 9:14 am

Well LT....had a few but let me first say that EVERYTHING that has broke Cat has covered 100 % both parts and labor!!
2 problems is all that I've had, however they were big...... Broke a tooth on the driver gear and when it broke it cracked the bottom of the block. So they did an R&R on the block and at the same time the driven clutch was replaced because the disk had beaten up the rivets that hold it to the hub( bad design ) but they were out of the new designed. Then 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere, about a year later, the driven clutch busted in 2 and when it did it took the primary with it. All of this was totally covered by Cat LONG after the Prowler had been out of warranty.

Ya, I had the rear brake chatter that they all had, so they did the brake chatter repair, but that's it.....nothin else.

I totally love the machine and have been super happy with the attention and service I have received after the sale, but of coarse, I wish that it had never broke!!! :(lmao:
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 9:38 am

Well, that is cool that they backed you the way they did. I know if that had been Suzuki-America you would have gotten hosed. I know I just went ahead and skipped the X-warranty on the second King because they do not cover crap. I hope Yammy is better cause I am buying the X-warranty here at the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes EmptyMon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Stainless would not be my metal of choice. It is too soft. I would check into those sleeves your talking about. A friend of mine put one on his Jeep Wrangler, and it worked great.

Yank is right stainless is too soft. You can get different grades just like any metal. Stainless in a grade that would be suitable would have to be twice the size of the stockers in diameter. It would also have to be annealed to get the strenth you would need. SS also moves or distortes with any heat transfer and there is a lot of heat transfer at the tie rods. I am not saying it wouldnt work but to do it right it would cost you lots more that a steel one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stainless Steel Tie rodes   Stainless Steel Tie rodes Empty

Back to top Go down

Stainless Steel Tie rodes
Page 1 of 1