SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?

Go down 
+6
MuddyBuddy
Foxfire
BigAlCash
Gimpy
stealth
DirtDawber
10 posters
AuthorMessage
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Our Frontier (which, according to forums is acting normal for the vehicle) has 2 big annoyances for me.

1. Jittery idle that drives me crazy.
2. It launches like a pig stuck to a glue trap, off the line.

Some research led me to the Superchips Cortex 4950 (Nissan specific model #) tuner, that, according to users, let's me cure problem #1 with an idle rpm bump up by 50 rpm and #2 disabling Nissans WOT restriction, where the fuel pedal is really unresponsive until around 40mph. That WOT thing it supposed to keep you from spinning the tires, as pickup trucks like to do at the drop of a hat.

I just checked UPS and the one I ordered is on my porch, as I type.
I probably will not get a chance to play around with it until tomorrow, I was just right now wanting any feedback on these tools that y'all may care to share.
Back to top Go down
stealth
SSXSRider Staff
stealth

Number of posts : 2219
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:27 pm

I run the super chips cortex on my 08 duramax. It makes a world of difference in mileage when towering.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm

I run the Duramaxtuner.com, EFI Live, preprogrammed ECM in my 04 Duramax. Makes of big differance, like Stealth said.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
BigAlCash
SSXSRider Member
BigAlCash

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2012-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 10:28 pm

I work on diesels for a living and duramaxtuner. Com/Nick has some good tunes.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 pm

STC tuner on the 7.3, DD......power, response, fuel economy ......and one hell of a sweet spot on the throttle. Will never be without again.
I have around 800 hp in my mechanical 855ci Big Cam lll Cummins, and it blows me away how this little box can do so much in comparison ......almost not fair. WTF

Last edited by Foxfire on Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:00 am

EDGE on my gas burner F-150 and its night and day. With diesels its even more of a difference
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:36 am

BigAlCash wrote:
I work on diesels for a living and duramaxtuner. Com/Nick has some good tunes.

Like me and BigAlCash forgot, the preprogrammed tuner ECM is on the fly. Not turn the key in a sequence that might mess up your ECM like some others. I have to have it simple. I dealt with Bob at DURAMAXTUNER.COM.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
d6nlpg
SSXSRider Member
d6nlpg

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2012-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:20 am

I run a super chips on my 2010 F150. Mostly to change the shift points.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:20 pm

2007 Duramax Lbz
EFILive by our shop
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:23 pm

DD's asking about gas.......not diesel...Whole different thing. And hey DD I just got me one of those things..if you are still within warranty, don't do it!! You may think you can re-load the stock programming and not get busted......wrong. Ask my neighbor with a DURATURD who smoked his tranny at 15k and got caught by the dealer....LOL They even knew what programmer he had used!!!

Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? 103eura
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 am

You can put a EFI Live on about any car,gas or diesel. Mom's 2010 Yukon Denali with the 6.2 has a efilive tune on it
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:23 am

ridepate wrote:
DD's asking about gas.......not diesel...Whole different thing. And hey DD I just got me one of those things..if you are still within warranty, don't do it!! You may think you can re-load the stock programming and not get busted......wrong. Ask my neighbor with a DURATURD who smoked his tranny at 15k and got caught by the dealer....LOL They even knew what programmer he had used!!!

Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? 103eura
Nice rig, Jimbo!!

By the time Nissans need any kind of service, (somewhere between 250 and 300 thousand miles) the warranty is long gone anyway. Cool

I bumped the idle up, disabled the WOT restriction, filled 'er up with Super and installed the 91 octane tune. I can't say that I really feel any more power, but the idle is way smoother and being able to make a quick launch is always handy.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:16 am

The DURATURD reference is what my neighbor calls his, Sorry. He has not had the best service out of it, but then again, he's one of those people that can break anything!!

I love mine so far DD. Getting used to something small was/is sorta wierd still tho.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 am

ridepate wrote:
The DURATURD reference is what my neighbor calls his, Sorry. He has not had the best service out of it, but then again, he's one of those people that can break anything!!

I love mine so far DD. Getting used to something small was/is sorta wierd still tho.

Its not hard to cause problems with tuners.. Most of the guys I know with diesels that have had trouble were all running tuners.. They also had them cranked up a lot of the time or trying to make them smoke on purpose..

On gas trucks I don't think it makes all that much difference.. Well unless your wanting to adjust something out of the factory settings. As far as getting a bunch of HP or milage out of them just cause of a Tune. I've never seen it..
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:02 pm

My nephew has a tuner on his F150.....made a noticeable difference on his ride.....and he beats the snot out of the thing every minute it's on the road....
just saying.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 9:17 pm

I had one on an old 6.0 Gas, but the biggest difference was when I put a Banks intake, and true dual exhaust, along with the programmer. I got 3 more mpg.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Foxfire wrote:
My nephew has a tuner on his F150.....made a noticeable difference on his ride.....and he beats the snot out of the thing every minute it's on the road....
just saying.

Like I said ive got an edge on mine, also air intake and exhaust. It makes a huge difference in fuel economy and hp when i need it. Shes no diesel but she will still shit n git.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?   Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone using a performance/options tuner on their truck?
Page 1 of 1