SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dual battery set up?

Go down 
+5
PWM
RZR_Joe
8ball_99
wvregulators
RangeRover
9 posters
AuthorMessage
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2010-12-29

Dual battery set up? Empty
PostSubject: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:04 pm

Who on here has a dual battery set up and how did you go about doing it. I have a PC925 odyssey on the way along with a Sur Power 1315 Battery Separator in mind for the set up, thoughts?
Back to top Go down
wvregulators
SSXSRider Member
wvregulators

Number of posts : 825
Registration date : 2012-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 pm

range if you find out anything on a dual battery setup please let me know too.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

wvregulators wrote:
range if you find out anything on a dual battery setup please let me know too.
I'm up to my neck in poo on doing the mod at this time, fill you in when I finish!!!
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

I've got two in my XP4.. One is a PC925 the other is the stocker. The stock battery in the XP4 is pretty decent looking. Its even rated for a little more then the PC925.. I didn't use a surepower though cause it didnt' look like it was very sealed. I went with this one http://www.dfna.info/smart-battery-isolator.html Its a smart battery separator. Works the same way. Keeps the aux battery from draining the the starting battery by watching the voltage.. When the starting battery voltage is above a certain voltage it allows the aux battery to charge. If the voltage drops for anyreason it separates the batteries again. Very simple to hook up and its a sealed unit.. The surepower does the same thing pretty much. I'm just not sure its sealed. My second battery and my battery separator is mounted under my rear seat so its going to get wet from time to time..

Once you get your stuff in your hands it will be pretty straight forward.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:55 pm

I liked the Sur Power because you can add a switch which lets you use the aux bat to jump the main one if needed.
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:10 am

I use an alternator on the RZR so no need but on the Rhino I use dual batteries with a Battery Doctor Isolator. Isolates the batteries, automatically charges the secondary battery when the primary is above 12.8v, cuts out when the primary is below 11.5v, and features a manual override to allow the seconday to start the vehicle if the primary is dead.

Battery Doctor
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 8:49 am

Where did you get that one Joe?
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am

If you run your radio, winch ect off the aux battery and reserve the starter battery for just the machine. Chances are the only battery that will ever be low is the Aux battery inless the starter battery just goes bad.

Joe its not really about having enough charging. Xps have a larger stator then the 800s. On mine I got a second so I can leave my 2 way on at camp all night if I want or play the radio out on the trail with the machine off and not worry about it starting. With my old machine I always had to remember to turn it off before we went to bed.. I kind of like leaving the 2way on incase guys are out on a night ride and have problems. That and people always talk BS late at night on the radio's lol
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 10:16 am

So do you use the PC925L as the main or AUX? I'm thinking my stocker might be going bad
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 11:57 am

Well on mine I just used the stock battery as the AUX. Again though on the xp4 its a bigger battery. Its rated for more then my PC925 in both cca and reserve. Doing it that way also ment I didn't have to move the stock battery.. My 925 is mounted under the seat about 8" from the starter solenoid. So it made since for the Aux battery to be in the stock location and the starter battery to be under the seat close to the solenoid. On the Xp4 the stock battery has about 5' of battery cable between it and the solenoid.

Course the stock battery could be junk and I might kill it before long. Guess I'll find out. If it does I'll probably get one of those oddessy knock offs. I know several guys with them and they seem to hold up just as good. They just don't have the warranty the oddessy does.. For the price though and since I have two batteries anyway.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 pm

Good find on the Battery Doctor Joe!!!

They have a 75 amp/ 100 peak or 125 amp/150 peak.
Guessing the 75 would work just fine?
Back to top Go down
Baditude
SSXSRider Member
Baditude

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2010-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 pm

I assume the battery in my 2011 XP is the same a XP4?
How long should the stocker last?
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm

I use the 125/150A model. I got mine at Graingers but they can be bought off the web at various places.

Correct, if you want to leave acc on for extended periods an aux battery is a good idea. Run the acc off the aux and the isolator will cut off from the main to prevent draining it.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 6:03 pm

Battery Doctor on the way, thanks again Joe for the find.....btw, amazon had them the cheapest if anybody else is looking for one.
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm

I'm getting there

Dual battery set up? Half_w10
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 11:19 pm

Looks great D. allright
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm

It's all up and running. Now it's time for drive
Back to top Go down
wvregulators
SSXSRider Member
wvregulators

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 pm

range can you show a few more pics of your install please
Back to top Go down
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 pm

wvregulators wrote:
range can you show a few more pics of your install please

NO!!!!!! ownedsm

Dual battery set up? 13435 hold on, I took a few pics allright
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Wheres the best place to get the wires and ends for the wires from the auxiliary battery hot and ground?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
RangeRover
SSXSRider Member
RangeRover

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 10:04 pm

I went to local auto zone.
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:15 am

Let me throw my two cents in.

Run all your acc off the aux battery and use the main for just the engine/ecu. This way when the isloator is monitoring the main and the voltage drops it will disconnect the aux and prevent the main from being drained. Now, there is a done side to this, the acc will be hot all the time even with the key off. This is desirable for some acc but not all (if you want to run acc while the key iss off). I put a White-Rogers 150a 12v soleniod inline before the fused acc panel. I have it tied to the keyed ign circuit so when the key is on it makes and sends power to the acc fuse block. This will prevent the aux from being drained when the key is off.

Dual battery set up? 20092_LR_diagram150
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I got mine installed today. Very easy to do.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
pitbull8151

pitbull8151

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 am

Has anyone installed a full sized Optima battery on their rig?
Back to top Go down
wvregulators
SSXSRider Member
wvregulators

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? EmptySun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

i know in a wildcat im not sure theres a spot big enough for one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dual battery set up?   Dual battery set up? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dual battery set up?
Page 1 of 1