SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Clutch kit question

Go down 
+5
shawnley1222
hitre
ChrisC
wvyankee2
AIRBORNE
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Clutch kit question Empty
PostSubject: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 7:29 pm

So I talked to Todd at Hunterworks. I have a clutch kit that included a machined sheave, roller weights, and shims that sit in behind the inside primary clutch on the primary output shaft. I don't know if any of you have ever used shims on a CVT setup, but it helped the low end of the King Quad. He advised me not to use the roller weights or shims. The folks I bought it from use their kit for racing, and they are certain it will make a difference. Todd says dont do it. I just am thinking about it, and wanted to get your opinions. Also, anyone using anything besides the aftermarket ignition from Hunterworks?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 7:40 pm

Why is Todd saying not to use it?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyThu Jul 03, 2008 8:24 pm

He says you can't beat the stock setup. I am not sure what that means exactly. He did not know what I meant when I said shims, so I would think that he has never tried that setup. I first learned about it on NYROC, and tried it on my King. It makes a difference, and you don't have to run around the woods in low with that setup on the King. Just makes sense that it would work on the Rhino..........especially since they sold it to me in a high performance clutch kit. It basically "lowers" the gear ratio by making the belt ride a little different on the primary clutch. It gives you a little more grunt at the bottom, while the clutch sheave gives you a little at the top. I don't need 60mph, I would rather have the low-mid throttle response.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:25 am

I talked to scotty at hunter works the other day. and we were talking about this.
he said getting more low end from a clutch is a myth. he said it ant going to happen. he said thay tried different sheeves from different places and it just ant going to happen. if you put a sheeve on you will see a little top end gain. but said the springs and weights dont work as well as factory. i have talked to several people at highlifter , and thay say the factory sheeve is the best one for the rhino if you ride in the woods. and that you can do the washer mod on the clutch that spaces the primary pully a tad and will give a little low end. but will eat the belt quick. and thay said thay tried different thing. and found in the woods the factory sheeve and clutch works the best. The sheeve was only for top end. i heard this said more than once at several forums that have tried different things. i am a woods rider i dont care if it go's 60 MPH eather. mine stock go's about 42 or 43, after the CDI i am told somewhere between 45 and 50 . so for now i am going to leave my sheeve and clutch stock. high lifter sales clutch springs and sheeves. and when thay tell you to leave it alone for the mud and trails. at least for now i am going to listen. even scotty at hunter works said a CDI will do alot more for you , than fooling with the clutch. I am new to all this CVT stuff. so i will just learn as i go along. but i have seen a pattern. sand guys want top end. almost everyone at RF.net has a sheeve . but alot of the dirt guys at Highlifter dont. just thought i would share what i read. so airborn. Tod is telling it like it is. put the sheeve on it you want a few on top. if you want the best bottom end performance leave it alone all together. thats what i been told.

Chris... cheers

Last edited by ChrisC on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 am

Oh as a foot note i forgot to mention , Highlifter make the extream clutch kit. it will give more bottom end. but i had them explain to me how it works. what it does is make the stall speed higher. if any of you ever been in a drag car or hot rod with a big stall converter, you know what i mean. this is what it does. the motor reves higher before it takes off. thay made this so them guy could get RPM's up to turn 29.5 outlaws on a rhino in deep mud. but said for woods and trail rideing it would sux. the motor would be screaming all the time.

Chris.... Wink
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySat Jul 05, 2008 11:28 am

After my Hunterworks Tri-fire CDI and rejetting i'm getting 51MPH and good mid range gains. I decided to not mess with my factory clutch set up at all. I could probably get 56-58MPH with a sheave, but there is not many times where I ride that I get over 51 MPH. I decided to not mess with a good thing and kept the $200 in my pocket for other things. If Todd says not to mess with it I would have to take his advice. He has definately put the testing time in. Rhino
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 12:20 am

I've got the HW sheave, stock rollers. No change in the bottom at all. You have to remember the belt can only ride so low,and so high. There's nothing you can do to change that. How these guys can claim 'More bottom-end", I don't know as I said the belt can only ride so low on the primary and so high on the secondary.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySun Jul 06, 2008 1:01 am

I hear you can make them ride to high with some sheeves. and it will rub a hole in your cover. i just really dont want to fool with all that right now.
not saying i wont change it someday :D . i just have no where i can run 60 MPH.
i just want the best lowend i can get , i am told the CDI with better timeing advance helps the bottom and mid range. this is what i am looking for.

but for you guys that want to sing in the wind. i read somewhere when dynatek
get the fuel map controller finished for the 08's its really going to screem. a 08 700 already has 2 or 3 HP more than a 660. and i read with a sheeve a CDI and with the new fuel map. set up right and maybe a pipe. thay think it will be well in the mid 60's with no motor work. fuel injection will really make a difference then.
its just got to be tuned properly. that would be cool.

Chris..... cheers
Back to top Go down
hitre

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 7:11 pm

AirborneLT - What did you end up going with? Are you happy with the setup?

I used a shim on the KQ and thinking of doing it on the Rhino...

Thanks
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 pm

I havea sheave from HW and no shims or anything and I still pull good down low stock rollers and belt still in use too only way I can get more low end is to go to 27s
Back to top Go down
hunterworks

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:21 am

I suppose I should say that I think the shim may and I say may help between 0-10 mph but that would be it. What you have to watch for is the belt sticking too high out of the secondary sheave and rubbing the case at idle then.

I have never ridden my Rhino under 10 and have no need to crawl around.

Just remember this, "A clutch tuners job is to tune the clutch to the peak power of the engine" This comes from Olav Aean who is probably the best the clutch tuner there is. He didn't say weight of vehicle or tire size.

Yamaha use the exact same components in the Wolverine 450, Grizzly 450 and Rhino 450 clutch system. They all weigh different and have different sized tires but they all have the same engine.

Yamaha ain't stupid!!

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.hunterworks.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:32 am

I only installed a sheave. I did not do anything else to the clutch setup. I still would like to try the shims. It helped on my KQ with low end. We do mostly technical type riding not running wide open. I still feel it needs a little punch on the low end but overall I feel confident in the Rhino.
Back to top Go down
hunterworks

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Airborne LT,

Been to Benning myself for Airborne School. I was in the 20th Special Forces Group.

It is a Army Guard unit, just a 16 jump chump!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hunterworks.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 9:38 pm

I am a 16 jump chump myself!
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Stay stock LT

M
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 6:49 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
I only installed a sheave. I did not do anything else to the clutch setup. I still would like to try the shims. It helped on my KQ with low end. We do mostly technical type riding not running wide open. I still feel it needs a little punch on the low end but overall I feel confident in the Rhino.

These shims work. I installed a set in Mikes 660. The belt rides lower in the primary, and higher in the secondary, not enough to rub the cover. He used to have to ride in our river in low all the time, now he can do it in high. It made a big difference in the 660 anyways.

Clutch kit question E9byav

Clutch kit question 2rdcm79
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question EmptyTue Jul 14, 2009 8:37 pm

I have the same basic thing on my 660. Worked Great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clutch kit question   Clutch kit question Empty

Back to top Go down

Clutch kit question
Page 1 of 1