SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Choosing a SxS to purchase

Go down 
+11
will_reed
njcraddock
Big-R
8ball_99
pit dog
spud
BIG D 57
Woodtick
2Slow4U
Bigmike
BigRiver
15 posters
AuthorMessage
BigRiver

BigRiver

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-05-31

Choosing a SxS to purchase Empty
PostSubject: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:58 am

This is my first thread I'm posting here.
I currently don't own a SxS ...yet, plan on buying before the hunting season begins. I've only ridden in a few such as Polaris, Kubota. For the past 12 years I'v used my Honda Rubicon to get around but It's time to move up to a SxS.
As I mentioned, my first intent for the machine will be focused primarily on hunting. With that a large dump bed is in order.
I'm likely to get flame sprayed for saying this due to no one here owning one, but I'm heavily considering the new Honda Pioneer. My Rubicon has been great for so many years as well as my Honda powered generator, pressure washer and Accord.
Besides the reliability of a Honda, one big factor is the transmission. My problem with most other makes is that they are belt driven. This past season, I was on a Polaris when the belt broke and we were left stranded till we called for help and had to be towed in. Guess it left a bad impression with me.
Am i wrong about concerns with CVT transmissions?
I'm not looking for speed, in my small circle of people that I know that own SxS's, I know 3 people that have been seriously injured and taken to hospitals due to rolling the machine. One of those guys actually had to be air lifted to a hospital with a severe head injury. So if i want to go fast, I'll jump in my Dodge CTD.
What I'm focused on is reliability and function. I'm guessing that most makes have utility models in their line up so I'm considering all of them but want to research this and buy it right the first time.
Thanks for the replies.
Back to top Go down
Bigmike

Bigmike

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-10-18

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:23 am

I'll chime in about belt driven. The only time I have seen a belt break is when it has been abused. The key is knowing when to use low and high and keeping the belt engaged. What I always tell poeple is if your above idle and the tires aren't moving your slipping the belt. Once the belt has burned or hour glassed it's a grenade ready to explode. I have friends that have had over 4000 miles on the original belt.My rzr has 2400 on the original.

I do like the looks of the new Honda Pioneer but on any of the honda hydraulic trans don't use anything but the honda trans fluid. I know of a few poeple that had the honda 400at rancher and tried going cheap and using regular oil and the trans never ran right after that, even with switching back. The only thing I dislike is the engine, a little weak to me.

Take a look at the Kawasaki teryx. Great machine and kawasakis engine breaking and cvt setup is great!
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 am

Some CVT (i.e. belt systems) are better than others. Some such as the Yamaha or Kawasaki Teryx4 keep tension on the belt at all times, allowing engine braking and longer belt life...

Some CVTs aren't even enclosed, allowing water and mud to get to the belt and pulley, though those are usually on older designs or low-dollar designs...

My ONLY concern with the Honda Pioneer is that it is the first year of a totally new machine. There's typically bugs that will show up in first year models of any machine. Other than that, Hondas are fine, reliable machines.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
BigRiver

BigRiver

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:21 am

I agree that there are different designs regarding the belted CVT transmissions. Does anyone here carry an extra belt out into the field? Is it something that could be changed out there?

As with the Honda Pioneer's first production year, it's very much like the Big Red. Yeah, I think that they are fugly as well, but with the Pioneer, much of the machines are similar. The drive train is the same, but the clearance and shock travel is increased. The parking brake is now on the dash, a digital display and glove box cover is now standard and of course, the new front cap and body moldings are upgraded.
It appears to me that the true nuts and bolts of it are the same. wether one likes it or not. The fact that it only goes up to 40 mph doesn't bother me, I don't want to go that fast in a SxS, that's what my Dodge is for.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm not a "Sport" rider. I enjoy riding trails slow enough that I can look around and see the deer and hawks and stuff. I've had my Rhino since late 08 (its an 09 model) and I wouldn't trade it for a farm in Texas! It does EVERYTHING I want it to do and more. It hauls 2 rifles, 2 day packs, 2 deer, 2 of everything and NEVER complains! With reasonable care they almost bullet proof. RZR's are all the rage now if hauling ass is all you care about and I'll be first to admit that they do that VERY well. I guess that's why they make all different kinds of stuff because not all of us like they same things!
Choosing a SxS to purchase Farm%2011-11-10%20013

Choosing a SxS to purchase Standup
Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:06 pm

WE hunt a lot and work a lot our RHINO 800, not the fastest on the trail but we always get there, 2cents Tuesday the new Yamaha is introduced ?????? Was always a HONDA MAN also, when the big red came out I bought a rhino the next week, has been a great machine.
You will get a lot of opinions on what to buy , do your homework and get what fits your needs and wants
Back to top Go down
spud
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Polaris ranger 900 will do it all. My dealer ask me to drive one and give him my opinion and it is a great machine but I am a rzr owner but I would test drive one if I were you
Back to top Go down
pit dog
SSXSRider Member
pit dog

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:37 pm

You can buy a teryx for around 9000. Great ride v-twin motor is awesome. Will do anything,would be great for what you want. Check e-bay for a deal.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member
8ball_99

Number of posts : 1370
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes lots of people carry spare CVT belts.. Most of the time you can get 2k+ miles out of a belt with trail use.. Most of the time people that blow belts often or with very low miles is cause of driver error.. You need to use low at low speed and climbing hills. Pretty much anytime your putting a load on the machine at slower speeds you should be in low.. I hear guys all the time brag how they did this or that and were able to do it in High. Almost anything you do in Low you can do in high.. But in high you will be slipping your belt a lot..

As far as what machine, Can't really help you. Rhino, Teryx, and Ranger will all do what your wanting. I would say most of the guys on here do more sport riding then just tooling around. If you just want a good machine and not looking for speed or suspension, I would think a Rhino would be hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 9:41 pm

I hope you understand that we are not all sport riders on this site. Although we do ride a lot in the woods. But many on this site are very experienced with all SxS's and their abilities.

The RZR models are very good for trail riding but I would never mislead anyone. If a utility machine is what you need they you should buy one and the RZR is lacking in that department.

There are many great choses now. I for one have a 08 Rhino 700. It has been a great machine. It will work until the cows come home and they you can do a night ride with it. It will climb most any hill and rock crawl too.

However, if I were in the market for a utility machine that could trail ride too it would be the Kawasaki Teryx or the Polaris Ranger. Now that thought may change after tomorrow when Yamaha introduces their new machine.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 pm

Rhinos are also comparatively cheap now too. You can find 660s all day long for a little over 5 grand. And after tomorrow they may go down even more, maybe.
Back to top Go down
will_reed

will_reed

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 1:20 am

I'll chime in here. I've spent my whole life on Honda ATVs and have owned at least one of every Foreman produced, including the 2012 and up model. I've had my Ranger for about a year now and don't see myself ever going back. My use is about 75% trail riding and 25% hunting/working around our property.

The Ranger has worked out so well that my dad (who had continuously owned a Honda since back when they only had one front wheel) sold his Foreman and bought one too.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 am

If I were wanting one for utility, hands down I would buy a Polaris Ranger. I loved my Rhino, but the Ranger is smoother, more powerful machine, and with the bench seat it is more suitable for larger folks and a passenger in the middle (if you have a smaller hunter with you).

Rhino and Teryx are both great machines. You could not go wrong with either of those, but if you buy used I would stay away from the 08 Teryx. Lots of guys had problems with the belt/CVT on that one.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
BigRiver

BigRiver

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks for the replies there guys, I appreciate the thoughts and opinions.
Besides it being a new production year model, is there any reason to not buy the Honda Pioneer?
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 am

BigRiver wrote:
Thanks for the replies there guys, I appreciate the thoughts and opinions.
Besides it being a new production year model, is there any reason to not buy the Honda Pioneer?
Haven't really seen one yet, but I love Honda reliability. I personally will not buy another single cylinder SxS. Just not enough power for me. I have the RZR4 and I made the mistake of driving a 900. It's only a matter of time for me most likely...........
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
KY. Colonel
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 4:04 pm

I was in the same boat as you are, I needed a Hunting/working sxs but I also wanted one that could be used for trail riding as well. I chose the Teryx and haven't had a second thought yet. However, as has been previously mentioned several utility models are available and will undoubtably do a good job for you. It is a great time to be in the market, lot's of good choices out there.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Ranger-Hands-down.... The Pioneer is just a Big-Red with a different-dress.
Back to top Go down
BigRiver

BigRiver

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:34 pm

ridepate wrote:

So your saying that the Ranger is more dependable and functional than the Honda?

Last edited by BigRiver on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
will_reed

will_reed

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:37 pm

With the increased suspension travel in the Pioneer, I'd put it on par with my Ranger 500. But I'm still not a fan of that transmission. It's the reason I never owned a Rincon.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 pm

BigRiver wrote:
ridepate wrote:

So your saying that the Ranger is more dependable and functional that the Honda?

Dependability is all up to the user. I could break a Honda or a Ranger in-half if I wanted to. Do not go by internet opinions. Get what YOU want.
Back to top Go down
BigRiver

BigRiver

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 8:16 am

ridepate, your right in what you've stated. I imagine that every make operates fine when they're new, it's up to the personal preferences of what an individual enjoys and how well the machine is maintained. They're only vehicular off road machines but engineered and designed somewhat differently. 
I want to think that they all have somewhat different strengths and weaknesses, and that's what I'm considering for what I see as my specific needs at this time. 
Of course, with this forum, I see another aspect of means to enjoy the nature of these machines, as with the organized trail rides, which I see as being very cool. I look forward to meeting and joining some of y'all as time permits. 
Again, it s true in saying to get what "YOU" want, not what some may suggest you get.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 pm

go ride them all. not just a test drive. 
if you got all the work you plan to do done with a atv a rzr will do that and more.if you want to do the work of your atv and some of the work you would do with your truck get a ranger,teryx,rhino,ect.  like most have said it would be between the ranger and teryx and i would pic the ranger. my dad and brother have 800 rangers and both have over 3000 mile and no trouble at all and they have been worked hard.  good luck its a great time to get into the sxs market
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

I see nobody is suggesting a Viking.....
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

njcraddock wrote:
I see nobody is suggesting a Viking.....

Why would anyone recommend something that won't be available until late August or September - at the same time that they're recommending he go drive them all to see what suits him best?
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
BigRiver

BigRiver

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Talked to Honda of Brookhaven, MS. They'll have the new Pioneer-2 in a few weeks, much sooner than the shops near by.

If all goes well, I may be the first Honda SxS owner here.

We'll see?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a SxS to purchase   Choosing a SxS to purchase Empty

Back to top Go down

Choosing a SxS to purchase
Page 1 of 1