SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yamaha Viking

Go down 
+18
riverratrsf
ohsresq
BIG D 57
Woodtick
Cuz
KY. Colonel
njcraddock
GunRunner
AIRBORNE
bush
8ball_99
2Slow4U
DrMud
Big-R
DirtDawber
The Big Show
ridepate
MuddyBuddy
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 1:40 pm

2Slow4U wrote:
AIRBORNE wrote:
Well, the RZR4 is under warranty for 2 more years. Maybe by that time Yammy will have a machine that I am ready to jump into.
Don't get me wrong, I would gladly take one of these Yamahas for deer season and working around a camp, but just not what I expected them to unveil as a new groundbreaking SxS.

But, that is EXACTLY the turf that they are trying to defend.  Notice how they're targeting farmers and hunters who also want to play a bit?  Just like they always have... it's the aftermarket that turned them into serious trail and dune machines, not Yamaha.

Meanwhile, did anyone else pick up on how they're trying to redefine the "class" of sport/utes to mean 3 or more seats?  They defined the original sport/ute class of machine, and it will be interesting to see if they can redefine it...

Not trying to start anything by any means here and saying this with the up most respect but defend what turf?
The ranger has taken all but a very small amount of loyalist to the brand. Its like what honda did with the big red, they made an inferior machine that appealed to no one outside of die hard fans of the brand. Not as handy on the farm as a mule and not as trail capable as a ranger.

Call me crazy but I would of rather them shoved a v twin in the rhino and released that instead of this thing.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 pm

IMO, the Ranger owns the segment the Viking was 'developed' for and Yammy comes out with something that looks like ass, and the Ranger can flick like a booger off it's finger.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Yamaha essentially defined the sport/utility market -- that's the "turf" I'm talking about -- they have to defend a position in that market, and expand from there. 

How do you know this is an inferior machine? Compared to what? IMO, this thing is quite comparable to a STOCK  Teryx for example.  I admit it doesn't have the potential performance improvements of that 750 twin, but it wins in some areas (3-seater, stock) while it loses in others.  It would be interesting to do a spec comparison between the Teryx and this thing, and see how close they compare. 

Can Yamaha win back any of those who've bought other brands?  Can Yamaha win new buyers?  No one knows... perhaps most importantly, can they win the current Rhino owners when it comes time to trade in --  and until people can get their hands on these things, and see what they really are, and what they can do, no one knows how good of a machine they really are...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Hey Kent, you sure we're not related? Sir, I agree with everything you've said. I'm looking forward to being able to see one up close and personal.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Woodtick wrote:
Hey Kent, you sure we're not related? Sir, I agree with everything you've said. I'm looking forward to being able to see one up close and personal.

Thanks, Tick! HatWave

But, what do we know -- we bought 450s to begin with.... thatsright
Back to top Go down
BIG D 57
SSXSRider Member
BIG D 57

Number of posts : 2087
Registration date : 2010-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm

Kent ditto BUT I was still hoping for more , I have been a rhino customer waiting  on this, and I find it lacking, I was planning on a new machine this year but now I don't know, I guess when one comes in I can sit in it and run it, it has some things it does have over my 700 is power steering , 9.1 gal tank and 30 % better fuel economy ,does that warrant a switch and this time it is no!!!
My dealer told me today after I called him to tell him I am  taking my name off the first to order list, he told me YAMAHA IS COMING OUT WITH A NEW MACHINE ONE A YEAR FOR THE NEXT FIVE YEARS.SO WHAT IS NEXT. I hope something more 2cents,
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Big D, I understand completely.  Personally, the T4 is the only machine that has even made me think of trading in my 450.  Personally, I'd like to see something like a mid-size 550 FI Crew, but who knows if that will ever happen....

I have midsize pickup - Nissan Frontier 4WD - I don't need another to haul things.  I don't need a heavy-duty 4WD all-terrain work machine -- I have a Power Trac articulated 4WD tool carrier, similar to baby payloader with almost a dozen attachments.  I have a "sports car" -- a VW-powered MG replica -- for pure open air fun.  The only thing that would interest me is something relatively inexpensive, yet reliable, that I can use for light hauling chores around the farm and that I could load up and hit the trails with the grandkids if I wanted to...

See a pattern here?  I like toys too - but I don't have, nor can I afford the "biggest, baddest" on the market for each of the types of toys/tools that I have... yet, when I do spend the hard earned $$ on toys/tools, I try to research the crap out of them, get the best value I can, and make sure it is as reliable as possible for the long term...

One machine can't please everyone... I just hope Yamaha can please enough people with this machine to keep them competitive in the market for the long term.  I have NOTHING negative to say about my 450, and have no real reason to trade it in.  Maybe Yamaha will entice me, one day...

The mid-size Ranger didn't give me that reason.  The T4 didn't... I'm content to wait and see if Yamaha can.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 7:27 pm

rzr4 rider wrote:
wonder if you will be able to hear what your passenger is saying in this one

thatsright
Back to top Go down
ohsresq
SSXSRider Member
ohsresq

Number of posts : 1753
Registration date : 2010-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 8:31 pm

It looks like a bigger version of a rhino. Just from what I have read and my persona observations. It looks good. I think the doors could have been made to come up higher than the seats. It needs a turf mode. the wheels and tires could be bigger. just my 2cents
Back to top Go down
http://ohsresq@yahoo.com
riverratrsf

riverratrsf

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 10:14 pm

I think Kawasaki could take a large part of the utility market by taking the T-4 and doing what Honda did with the Pioneer. Make it a long bed with removal rear seats. Their new engine could easily be upped to an 850cc. It would be good for working, maybe 800lbs load in the bed, 1400 lbs towing, and a good trail machine. It would out do the new Honda and Yamaha and be a real challenge to the Ranger 900 XP.
                                                                           Scott
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

Hell , the Rhino looked better than that thing.....Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 pm

I went over to Rhino forums and looked around. Have not been there
in over a year , after the news of this Viking thing came out.
It looked like they were going to start Crying....lol!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:12 pm

2Slow4U wrote:

One machine can't please everyone... I just hope Yamaha can please enough people with this machine to keep them competitive in the market for the long term.  I have NOTHING negative to say about my 450, and have no real reason to trade it in.  Maybe Yamaha will entice me, one day...

Kent, that is a great point.  This machine is everything I thought it would be so I am not disappointed. 

However, I would think that many people will chose other machines do to HP.  I now have a T-4 and it will not go over 50 MPH but it has ten times the torque of the Rhino.  That makes a big difference when trail riding. Yamaha will fall even more behind the game with this machine. 

Now we will have to see what they do over the  next five years.  Maybe this machine will be the replacement for the 450 and next year will have a bigger engine.  Now that would be a step in the right direction.  Then a sport model.  Who knows I guess we will wait and see.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Big-R wrote:
2Slow4U wrote:

Kent, that is a great point.  This machine is everything I thought it would be so I am not disappointed. 

However, I would think that many people will chose other machines do to HP.  I now have a T-4 and it will not go over 50 MPH but it has ten times the torque of the Rhino.  That makes a big difference when trail riding. Yamaha will fall even more behind the game with this machine. 

Now we will have to see what they do over the  next five years.  Maybe this machine will be the replacement for the 450 and next year will have a bigger engine.  Now that would be a step in the right direction.  Then a sport model.  Who knows I guess we will wait and see

You forgot to add............... Meanwhile, Polaris will be raking in the money.  Bottom line.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
T-ROY

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 6:19 pm

DON'T LOSE HOPE JUST YET. ONE OF OUR SALESMAN WAS IN LAS VEGAS FOR THE DEALER MEETING & FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS THE SAID THERE WOULD BE A NEW SXS MODEL OUT EVERY YEAR. SO MAYBE THEY ARE GOING AT IT SLOWLY TO AVOID ANYMORE LAWSUITS. HELL ALL THE LAWSUITS PUT A BE SCARE IN THEM, COST YAMAHA ALOT OF MONEY. SO HOPFULLY THERE WILL BE ONE BADASS RHINO IN THE FUTURE. ALSO I,M GOING TO D.C. FOR THE POLARIS MEETING IN JULY FOR THE UNVEILING OF SOMETHING THEY HAVE NEW
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:33 pm

T-ROY wrote:
............. ALSO I,M GOING TO D.C. FOR THE POLARIS MEETING IN JULY FOR THE UNVEILING OF SOMETHING THEY HAVE NEW

Can I go???? bounce
Back to top Go down
Bill B
SSXSRider Member
Bill B

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2013-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Was driving by the local Yamaha dealer today and they had a red Viking sitting out front so naturaly I had to go back for a closer look . It is the size of a land yacht . The first impression is the suspension appears to be very simular to the rhino , the bed height has been raised alot from the rhino but  does have must more cargo space  . The cab area is simular to the ranger is size and layout .Still not sold on the three seat deal yet  but it should make a nice utility/farm machine , After seeing one in person I have no regret buying a sport machine.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 309
Registration date : 2012-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm

They are big, not sure who the target market is for the thing. IMO the Rhino with a Twin cylinder, long travel suspension, a little wider, shorter bed, better seat ergonomics, would have been a better machine. Throw in a full cage, front to back, four harness seat belts. Recommendation stickers to use the seat belts. Call it good. How hard would that be?
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 14, 2013 9:51 pm

Looked at one today. Pretty impressive.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 9:08 am

ridepate wrote:
Looked at one today. Pretty impressive.
For what it is, yeah.... However it does not stand up to the competition.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yamaha Viking    Yamaha Viking  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Yamaha Viking
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2