SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

rv roof air

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gary

Gary

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2008-01-25

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:21 am

any body got connections on buying a roof air unit13500btu with a heat strip complete package.Have looked on ebay pretty good deals except for shipping ,with shipping I can buy local .Would even consider a used one am open to suggestons Gary
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:34 am

I paid 680 for mine shipped from FLA. It is a Carrier 15,000 BTU heat pump, putting out as much heat as a/c. It was kinda a pain to install, but not too bad. I have an 8.5x18' trailer and it will freeze you out. I had it going when it was 95 degrees outside. Give it an hour and it was cold in there, even when the trailer was in direct sunlight. I am not sure which dealer on ebay it was, but let me see if I can find out. I got the best one, just did not get the wall remote and ducted version. That was like 150 dollars more. I can reach up and turn it on to save that much money.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Gary

Gary

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 8:39 am

thanks Lt did you have much trouble installing it an what percautions did you use while on the roof
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 am

The hardest thing about the install was getting that heavy SOB up there. Basically what my uncle and I did was back my Dad's dumptruck up beside and stand in the bed. Since the roof is not real strong, I got long 2x6 and made sure that it was resting across the roof supports. once we got it up there, we realized we should use some type of sealant. I got some roof covering from Lowes, gobbed it on there, re-set the unit, and then finished up inside from underneath. My biggest complaint was the unit came with NO DIRECTIONS! We had to shoot from the hip. After it was installed, I could not figure out why it was not throwing air like it was supposed to. Luckily, my stepdad looked at it and said we forgot to install the flexible ductwork to channel the air. After we fixed that.........WOW! I was upset because I thought I wasted all that money, but it works great. I wish I had some pics for you, but I don't have any here with me in Afghanistan. It only sticks down inside about 5". Very happy that I went with the big BTU. I know it will pay dividends when it is cold or hot outside. If you plan on using it when its cold, I would get the heat pump version and not the heat strip version. The heat strips dont throw too much heat so I have been told.
I would say you can handle the install, just maybe need an extra set of hands that can help you line it up right. I wired it to a breaker box along with some fleuroscent lights and receptacles for plugging in microwave, tv and coffee pot. Should be kick ass when I finish it.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-CARRIER-15k-BTU-RV-A-C-AIR-CONDITIONER-HEAT-PUMP_W0QQitemZ130240318639QQihZ003QQcategoryZ50073QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the exact one I bought. Of course it's on sale now after I have mine, but only by 20 bucks. I did my homework and asked several people.....in the end, you get what you pay for. Carrier offers a 2yr warranty with this unit too if you send in the registration card. LIKE I SAID......if you go this route, make them send you some instructions!! Good luck
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 10:05 am

thanks LT I had seen that unit on ebay will more than likely go that route .One last thing did you have to reenfoce where your vent was or was it strong enough. Thanks Gary
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyTue Jul 22, 2008 10:07 am

Actually when I had the trailer custom built I had them add the reinforcements for the unit. I think you would be fine though as long as you just used some angled steel. It seems to do fine with the little pieces they added in mine. I wish I had pics!!
Back to top Go down
Gary

Gary

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 7:53 pm

LT pulled the plywood loose from top the roof has inch an a half square tubeing running from side to side 14 ins apart the same welded in square for roof vent.Could do chin ups at 190 lbs an not guive so I would hope two cross members should hold a 100lb air unit
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air EmptyWed Jul 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Yes, I would say you would be fine. I would go with a new unit. Spend the little extra and get the warranty. It would suck to buy a used one and then it crap out on you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rv roof air Empty
PostSubject: Re: rv roof air   rv roof air Empty

Back to top Go down

rv roof air
Page 1 of 1