SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GPS Unit Reviews

Go down 
+6
njcraddock
bacon
STR8RZR
edge22
Dan
TheGreenMachine11
10 posters
AuthorMessage
TheGreenMachine11

TheGreenMachine11

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2013-12-03

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Please help  Looking into purchasing a GPS unit. Just wondering what was the best bang for the buck. What you have used, what you liked or disliked?  Thanks
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-06-19

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 12:47 pm

The first question you have to answer is, "What do I want to use it for?"
Back to top Go down
edge22

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-10-02

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 2:32 pm

This intrests me also. My friend has a small Garmin with your maps, I honstly dont like the display it is very small and the grapics suck.
I want one to use for trail riding and buy your maps but want a better display and grapics. I have been playing with a Iphone Ipad app called MotionX and I really like the display and grapics on it but I dont think your maps are made to be uploaded to it. I have saved a few tracks at Windrock on it and when I go back to them it is very accurate.
What kind of options do I have?
Back to top Go down
TheGreenMachine11

TheGreenMachine11

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I'll look into the option of my Iphone. Will your app let you mark trails and waypoints without cell service? I wanna be able to mark trails and keep up with tracking as we ride. Nothing real extravagant. I just dont wanna spend $$ on something someone else has tried and didnt work as expected..
Back to top Go down
edge22

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes the MotionX app will work with just the gps reciever in the Iphone or Ipad, no cell service required. It works good but I just wish I had all the trails on it like you can do with Dans maps on a regular gps. But it sounds like the MotionX will do just what you want.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 11:14 pm

If one only wants to navigate, i.e., no mapping, then the best thing I know of the Nuvi 2757 with a 7" display for $220 at www.gpscity.com. The downer is that it is not waterproof, but this usually isn't a problem in a SxS with windshield and roof.

For mapping, then the Oregon series is good. Top of the line is the Montana... but they are still quite proud of those.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenMachine11

TheGreenMachine11

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 7:14 am

The cost in price isn't much between the Nuvi and Oregon that I seen. For the price difference I think I would rather have the Oregon series. Which model of Oregon? With the Oregon and mapping seems lilke a better deal.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenMachine11

TheGreenMachine11

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 7:20 am

Agian I'm GPS dumb.....With the Oregon and mapping, can I map out as we ride and upload to PC?
Back to top Go down
STR8RZR
SSXSRider Staff
STR8RZR

Number of posts : 896
Registration date : 2012-06-13

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 am

I have the Oregon 450 and love the options it has. (At least the ones I know how to use) The only downfall to it is the screen size. It will drive u crazy trying to use the touchscreen when out on the trails. It would be nice to have a bigger screen. But I think the Montana is just too expensive for the use I could get out of it.
Back to top Go down
TheGreenMachine11

TheGreenMachine11

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:17 am

I agree on the cost versus use on the trails. Thanks for the info at least now I have some "general knowledge".  HatWave 
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:19 am

TheGreenMachine11 wrote:
Agian I'm GPS dumb.....With the Oregon and mapping, can I map out as we ride and upload to PC?
Yes, all of the On-the-Trail models have this capability.
Back to top Go down
edge22

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 11:00 am

Dan, I am not so much into mapping trails I would rather just buy yours. What uinit has the best display and will work with your trails?
Back to top Go down
bacon
SSXSRider Member
bacon

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2011-09-06

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyFri Dec 20, 2013 10:08 pm

edge22 wrote:
Dan, I am not so much into mapping trails I would rather just buy yours. What uinit has the best display and will work with your trails?

X2, I cant make my mind up on one.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 7:22 am

When I bought my new truck that has the built-in navigation I started using my old Nuvi in the RZR. I know it doesn't have the biggest screen or the best display, but it works well enough for me just using the suction cup mount on the dash. We aren't going so fast that we can't take our eyes off the trail for a few seconds to look at it anyway. Also, it was good to be able to continue using something that had become otherwise obsolete.
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 am

I have a Montana 600... to which I added CN North America, 24K SE topo, several profiles, friction mount for truck, special RAM mount in RZR, external antenna on RZR... Not for sale...

Actually, the Montana has the best display even though it is only 4"... probably just a personal thing with me. The Montana is more than adequate for both the RZR and truck. I don't like it's track logging software functions as well as my old 76CSx.
Back to top Go down
edge22

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 7:09 pm

I meant buy your maps Dan. But anyhow I guess I will be saving my pennys for a Montana. You dont have a screen shot of it with the trails you can post do you?
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySat Dec 21, 2013 8:29 pm

edge22 wrote:
I meant buy your maps Dan. But anyhow I guess I will be saving my pennys for a Montana.  You dont have a screen shot of it with the trails you can post do you?

Several... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.223943571050886.42296.223907984387778&type=3

I have changed the CC watermark to WR on the latest updates...
Back to top Go down
Reeko
SSXSRider Member
Reeko

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2012-05-30

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySun Dec 22, 2013 8:14 pm

For this past season I have been using GPS Kit on an old iPhone since my Delorme PN-20 took a crap finally. Surprisingly it does pretty well. Has topos 150K, you can download offline maps as well as all the popular file fomats (gpx,kml,etc). Only major downfall is the gps function sucks batteries so you need to keep it plugged into the power proton the RZR. Cost on iTunes is $9.99.

On a side note, I almost bought an Oregon 450T off of Amazon. Keep an eye on it and the price will float between $238-$280 depending on the seller an inventory levels.
Back to top Go down
southernkyrzr4
SSXSRider Member
southernkyrzr4

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2012-05-28

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 8:19 am

I've got the oregon 450T with dans maps using a ram mount in the rzr and i'm well pleased with it's performance.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 6:48 pm

southernkyrzr4 wrote:
I've got the oregon 450T with dans maps using a ram mount in the rzr and i'm well pleased with it's performance.

I didn't know Kentucky Hillbillies knew how to use a GPS.......  thatsright   roflmao 
Back to top Go down
southernkyrzr4
SSXSRider Member
southernkyrzr4

Number of posts : 268
Registration date : 2012-05-28

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyMon Dec 23, 2013 10:18 pm

Big-R wrote:
southernkyrzr4 wrote:

I didn't know Kentucky Hillbillies knew how to use a GPS.......  thatsright   roflmao 

Lol I ain't real smart but it's got pictures and kinda like a electronic conect the dot book so i got er bout half figured out  thatsright
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 5:58 pm

southernkyrzr4 wrote:
Big-R wrote:
southernkyrzr4 wrote:

Lol I ain't real smart but it's got pictures and kinda like a electronic conect the dot book so i got er bout half figured out  thatsright

thatsright   roflmao study 
Back to top Go down
edge22

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Dan you should try to figure out a way to make your maps work for these Iphone Ipad and Android apps.
They honestly work good just dont have maps to load into them. I would bet you could sell quite a few of them. I would buy it and several friends also that would buy.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2013-11-12

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 8:28 pm

All phone Apps only support gpx file tracks.  There is an Android App (OruxMaps) that you can load a Garmin Map onto, however you lose color and dashing.

You will have to get the map maker to give/sell you his original tracks that he made the map from.

I make the WV ATV Trails map and have converted all of my tracks and waypoints for use with Android App BackCountry Navigator.  Color is not native to the gpx format so I had to recolor them on BCN.  The link below will take you to where you can download my BCN file along with instructions on how to install it.  You can cache the maps so you don't need cell service.  You can colorize gpx tracks but you cannot make some of them dashed so all of my tracks are solid color.  They are all colored by difficulty.

BCN Files   Click Skip Add in Upper Right Corner

Below are some screenshots of what it looks like on a Nexus 7 Tablet.
GPS Unit Reviews 11-10-13_17-25-55_zps2d319cd0

GPS Unit Reviews AshlandRst_zpsf9010a60

GPS Unit Reviews Screenshot_2013-10-21-22-04-50_zpsa748940d

GPS Unit Reviews Welch_zps829e2886
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPS Unit Reviews Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Unit Reviews   GPS Unit Reviews Empty

Back to top Go down

GPS Unit Reviews
Page 1 of 1