Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hey reloaders.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Goose
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2892
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Hey reloaders.......   Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm getting into reloading what is your opinion on brass polishers? Sonic or media?
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 1855
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:00 pm

My choices are: First choice is a wet media tumbler with stainless steel pins (best finish but messy). Second is a dry tumbler with walnut media (good quality shine) . I would not use a sonic cleaner for brass.

I've got a Lyman tumbler I got in some trading that I do not need if your interested.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 5279
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Depends on how long you have, with dry media tumblers you tumble and can immediately dump the brass and start loading, with wet or sonic you clean the brass then you dump it out on a towel, shake it all around then if your lucky a few days latter its dry and you can reload it. I use dry, ive tried several tumblers from the best Dillon has down, best one ive found and I have two is the 40-50. one made by frankford arsenal, it and some corn cobb or walnut media, a few drops of liquid car wax and I can clean 200 45 acp cases in a couple of hours.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 1855
Registration date : 2011-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:14 pm

The expense part is a good tumbler. I use a Raytech AV-25SS with 6-8lbs of coarse #12 walnut media and use 4 caps of Nu-Finish car polish I usually run 10-12lbs of brass at a time. With the Ryatech I run run it wet or dry but I prefer dry because it's easier. Nu-Finsh car polish is a lot cheaper than reloader brass polish and does a better job. The walnut media can be picked up at Harbor Freight dirt cheap. After a few hours it comes out very clean and with a good shine. Down side of dry media is the primer pockets and inside of the casings are not cleaned. I prefer this method as the brass is clean/shiny enough for me and it's easy with no mess.

I've also used a wet rotary tumbler with SS pins with a combo of Lemon-Sine & dawn. When the brass comes out it looks new. The shine is incredible and the primer pockets are also clean. Down side is it's messy and you have to air dry or bake the brass to dry it. This method is for the anal reloaders who want like new brass or for reselling brass.

If you want I'll set you up with a NEW Lee Pro 1000, 9mm dies, Lyman 1200 Tumbler w/media, Lyman Universal case trimmer w/power adapter & all the pilots & several spare cutter heads (new), digital scale (new), Hornady powder trickler, RCBS large & small case chamfers (like new), primer pocket cleaner, - basically everything you need to start reloading for $400. If your interested let me know and I'll post some pictures.
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:35 pm

I just use a Lyman tumbler with dry media. Honestly I've had good luck with the green media. It cost more then corn cobb. But it seems to last for ever and my brass comes out looking brand new with out adding anything else to it.

My Press is also a Lyman. I think its a T-mag 2 turrent press if I remember right. Seems to work pretty well. I have extra turrents for it so I can leave my dies set up and just swap out the turrent. I bought a kit from midway a couple years ago. I've loaded several thousand rounds with it so far.. Everything from .223 to 9mm and colt 45. Its kind of fun to me to load my own.. Don't do it just to save money but consider it kind of a hobby.
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2892
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:05 pm

What is your green media Will?
Back to top Go down
8ball_99
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 1364
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 am

Its just Lyman Turbo Treated corn cob media. I've used some cheap corn cob media and it seems to take longer and doesn't clean as well. It also turns to dust pretty quick. If you do a little reading around on some different forums. Guys use ALL kinds of stuff to clean their brass. I guess some of it would depend on how much brass you go through.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hey reloaders.......   

Back to top Go down

Hey reloaders.......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: Other BS-
Jump to: