SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What a busted front diff sounds like

Go down 
+3
Goose
Hollon
RickyBobby
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RickyBobby

RickyBobby

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-12-11

What a busted front diff sounds like Empty
PostSubject: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 1:34 am

Coming up my driveway with a busted front diff --was worried I was not going to make it.

Back to top Go down
Hollon
SSXSRider Member
Hollon

Number of posts : 1427
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 am

Yup sprag gone
Back to top Go down
RickyBobby

RickyBobby

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2013-12-11

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 am

I'm curious to what I will find when I open it up. It has a dragon fire billet sprague in it. Has anyone ever broke a billet sprague?
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 6:56 pm

Sad 
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 am

Turns out it was the pinion and ring gear jumping

What a busted front diff sounds like Image-14

What a busted front diff sounds like Image-15

And all that metal was all in the pinion bearing making that grinding sound.

The good news is that the billet sprague looked as good as the first day I put it in. I'm going back with the 1k diff. I think that sprague will work on all the other diffs so If anyone is needing a sprague just let me know.

What a busted front diff sounds like Image-16
Back to top Go down
Dan

Dan

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-06-19

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 10:05 am

I suspect the ring alignment spacer was missing... it's about 1/2" square and slides on the back side of the ring to hold the ring into the pinion. It rides on a set screw that is used to adjust the backlash. This thing is very easy to overlook... and there is no obvious place for it to fit when the case is separated.
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:21 am

Dan wrote:
I suspect the ring alignment spacer was missing... it's about 1/2" square and slides on the back side of the ring to hold the ring into the pinion. It rides on a set screw that is used to adjust the backlash. This thing is very easy to overlook... and there is no obvious place for it to fit when the case is separated.

It did good for five years after putting the sprague in, but it just started getting weak and popping more and more over the past year. I think the abuse just got to it. The housing bolts were loose when I took apart which was the final straw that done this diff in. They were properly torqued when I put the sprague in but over time they loosened- wished I would have used loctite on them, might have bought me more time
Back to top Go down
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 7:13 pm

How many miles are we talking bout? How bout the axle gears? Have you ever replaced them? Just curious cause my last ride an axle popped out and upon closer inspection the "C" clip that holds the axle in is completely wore out. Also there is a lot of wear on the axle splines. Going to clean everything up with new clip and hope everything is good.
Back to top Go down
rocker27

rocker27

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 am

I had the same sound, 1 broke tooth on the ring gear and Sprague all to pieces
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like EmptyFri Feb 21, 2014 9:36 am

samiam wrote:
How many miles are we talking bout?  How bout the axle gears?  Have you ever replaced them?  Just curious cause my last ride an axle popped out and upon closer inspection the "C" clip that holds the axle in is completely wore out.  Also there is a lot of wear on the axle splines.  Going to clean everything up with new clip and hope everything is good.  

Several thousands of miles on that diff and really kinda suprised it lasted as long as it did because, before this latest carnage, it did have two broken teeth on the ring gear that I noticed about two years ago. Ive really tried to baby it since then but just cant seem to do that when riding with the local crew.

I have been thru more axels and cv joints than I can count. The input sockets on that diff have always had a sloppy fit for the axles, and over time the axel splines wear causing more slop.

imo, the best thing you can do is to pack that those axle splines and sockets with that water proof green grease. It seems to help keep down the rust an corrosion that works on the splines an C clip

I haven't cleaned any of the parts up yet, but pretty sure that the diff housing, coil, sprague are in good shape--if anybody needing any of those parts just shoot me a pm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What a busted front diff sounds like   What a busted front diff sounds like Empty

Back to top Go down

What a busted front diff sounds like
Page 1 of 1