SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Axle/Cv curve ball

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jerrzr

jerrzr

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:07 am

Here is the story. My 800 rzr only had power on passenger side rear in 2wheel drive. The passenger wheel would spin but the driver rear would not.. Ok, I got out to look and expected a broke cv or axle. To my surprise, the axle and cvs looked good. I grabbed the axle, couldn't turn it and it plunged in both the inner and outer cv joints smoothly and both boots were in perfect shape.... WTF was going on? Ok , I thought maybe hub striped or spool in rear diff stripe - really just scratching my head about it. Oh , and it made no noise of any kind.

Jacked it up, started the rzr and it worked fine. Both rear tires pulling good. I grabbed the driver rear and could not stop it- so now I am really baffled. Set the rzr on back on the ground and driver wheel wouldn't pull. Got back out to look and all looks and feel fine. I have replaced more more broken cvs and axles on my rzr and friends rzr that I can't count that high- thought I was an expert on the subject matter...Lol...

Ok, now was time to take apart and see what's going on. The UtV billet hub and outer CV splines where in perfect shape. The inner cv splines and rear diff spool in perfect shape. And both CV boots in perfect shape. Now I am really scratching my head.

Put the axle in a vice and played with it some. and here was the deal. The inner cv joint star was slipping on the axle spline but only when axle was at a shallow angle. The more angle you would put on the cv it would not slip. When it did slip, the cv cup would just spin inside the boot so the boot never twisted but always stayed air right.

Thought I'd share--oddest symptoms of a bad axle/cv that I have encountered
Back to top Go down
Hiteckredneckxp
SSXSRider Member
Hiteckredneckxp

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2013-11-14

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 am

You have some of the best luck Jerry! Hope you get it fixed soon!
Back to top Go down
jerrzr

jerrzr

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

Hiteckredneckxp wrote:
You have some of the best luck Jerry! Hope you get it fixed soon!
 lol!  I'm just trying to limp this POS along until the new ones come out but hell I've made it practically new again-- but it will be nice to have a "dependable" (  Axle/Cv curve ball 13435 ) spare so I don't have to miss rides.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:59 pm

I would have sworn it was the spindle. Wow that is crazy!!!
Back to top Go down
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 pm

I would be sitting with all my hair pulled out still scratching my now bald head thatsright 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Axle/Cv curve ball Empty
PostSubject: Re: Axle/Cv curve ball   Axle/Cv curve ball Empty

Back to top Go down

Axle/Cv curve ball
Page 1 of 1