SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

1000 S Review

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: 1000 S Review   1000 S Review EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 6:04 pm

This is the one. This is the one to get. Read no further if you were considering the purchase. Don't waste your time. Do it and you won't regret it for a second. Trust me.  The rest of the words here are for those that don't trust me.

This release was overshadowed by the Turbo machine and that is a shame because I think this is the absolute best sub-$20k machine on the market. I almost hesitate to even put the "sub-$20k" designation on it. It is that good. If you have followed my ramblings in the past, you know that I am a fan of the RZR S. The S 1000 has addressed every single compromise that you encounter with the S as opposed to the XP1.

The S 1000 is an absolute scalpel where the XP1000 is a 8 lb sledge. Brimstone's 19,196 acres of mountains in TN is where I got to flog the ever-loving piss out of this machine.  I literally never wanted to get out of it. I am certain that these mountains were carved out knowing that Polaris was going to build the S 1000. From moment one, the suspension offered the feedback from each corner that inspired me to push harder and harder. It was the closest to rally driving that I might ever get (I hope that I get to eat those words). I can't say that I ever felt like I was in a hairy situation short of ham fisted input from the terrible driver (me).  This is a tremendous machine.

Luckily many of my readers here already know all of the specs of this machine as compared to the other models, so I don't have to make this a spec-fest.  The Fox Podium 2.0 shocks in all four corners offer fantastic feedback that allows you to feel your way through the path directly underfoot.  Driving hard along trails littered with what could be miles-deep puddles was not an issue as the steering was precise enough to thread the needle, slam the front tire onto the lip of the puddle and pedal the rear end around.  I love the feel that you get through the suspension and the Dirt Commanders' stiff sidewalls and aggressive bite gives confidence to push into corners without fear of washing the front end out.  The way that the S 1000 is set up, the front tires are on rails and the available under the right foot determines the line of the rear of the vehicle.  It is absolutely exhilarating to drive this thing fast.

The RZR S 1000 adopts the same transmission that was introduced in last year's S 900, and that is a very very good thing.  Polaris spent a lot of time developing a new transmission that more closely fit their customers' driving habits.  Low gear will allow you to run up to 45 mph and then softly hover on the rev limiter without the jarring fuel cuts that is common with other limiters.  There were times that I had to physically look at the speedo to find that I was at my max speed.  After looking at some of the footage the technical trails of Brimstone very rarely saw me needing more than 45mph.  Polaris hit the nail on the absolute head with the gearing offered in Low.  The engine is at peak power almost all the time, offering up the full 100 horses at the twitch of the right foot.

I cannot speak highly enough about the power of this machine.  At 8.1 horsepower for every 100 pounds of weight, this thing is just asking to take on more and more aggressive terrain.  It's like trying to keep up with a new-found girlfriend that is 10 years your junior in all of the best ways that I can mean that.  In the steep stuff, where the S 900 is pinned to the floor, the 1000 requires a little more finesse about the throttle as she is a little more sensitive to muddled attempts at flattery.  When matted, the rear tires of the S 1000 generally tilled parallel flower beds all the way up the hill and put a smile on my face the whole time.  Driving the S 1000 requires deliberate and mindful delivery of throttle as corners are overcooked quickly.  Luckily the brakes are good to bring the speed to heal and keep the machine on the trail.  I'm not going to say that I lifted the right rear tire while trying to pull down into a heavy hairpin, because that would be irresponsible.  But if I did, I could tell you that the machine kept it's composure and kept me out of the woods.  Did I say that this machine was good already?  Well, just in case... This machine is really... Really good.  I spent most of the day tearing through the woods like a wounded hog retreating to the underbrush.  I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

The model that I was driving had all of the things that I love to be included on my machine.  The standard hard door is a welcomed change from the net that was offered on the original S model.  I would have loved to have the lower half doors installed on this machine as they would have alleviated some of the mud flinging into the cab and stiffened up the closure of the door.  There was a little jiggle and noise coming from the closure.  

I was afforded the new Graphic Sport Roof as well.  This was a semi-transparent polycarbonate sun roof that allowed you to see branches and obstacles above the cab through a dot matrix window at the center of the roof while still blocking the sun.  I saw some blows to the roof watching others drive the S 1000, and the roof flexed and took the punishment only to bounce right back into shape, and shy of a scratch was not worse for the wear.  

Lastly, I would have loved for the machine to be fitted with the retractable Click-6 Harness.  The stock 3 point is good, but there is something about a multi-point harness that holds you in the seat.  

Speaking of the seat, the stock seats just keep getting more and more comfortable and I love it.  I do wish that the seats offered a little more lateral torsion resistance, but that could be somewhat sorted with the 6 point harness and/or a performance seat.

If you are going to have a single machine in your garage and spend time in multiple styles of trail systems, I feel like you would be hard pressed to not own the RZR S 1000.  Virtually all of the concerns and wants from last year's S 900 update were addressed with the S 1000.  The 900 was good, great really, but the bump in horsepower and torque are exactly what the segment needed.

This machine checks all of the boxes for me.  It is wide enough to handle it's power and aggressive driving.  It is powerful enough to break traction on dry pavement, kick sideways, and run up to 60 in the bink of an eye.  It fits into the back of a pickup with ease for quick weekend trips.  Starting at $17,999, it is priced aggressively with the competition while offering proven performance and industry-leading innovation.

This machine has all the power. Literally all of it.  Go get one.  You won't regret it for a moment.
Back to top Go down
samiam
SSXSRider Member
samiam

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2010-02-16

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 S Review   1000 S Review EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Should have said this is from over on the other board. Not sure who and what the credentials of the reviewer.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 S Review   1000 S Review EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 7:44 pm

I'll take the ground clearance of the XP 1000
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 S Review   1000 S Review EmptySun Sep 27, 2015 8:57 pm

Good review man! It's a shame that Polaris did that to to 900s owners though. Out-dated their machine in a year.....
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1000 S Review   1000 S Review EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 pm

ridepate wrote:
Good review man! It's a shame that Polaris did that to to 900s owners though. Out-dated their machine in a year.....

I have to agree with you on that one. Wow!
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

1000 S Review Empty
PostSubject: 1000 S review   1000 S Review EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 3:29 pm

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Sponsored content

1000 S Review Empty