SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anybody ......

Go down 
+3
crs
njcraddock
Goose
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 6:49 am

Who tows a hauler use a transfer fuel tank in their truck bed? Looking to reduce the stops I make. Opinions please.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:07 am

I have thought about it. But I usually travel with kids, which means I'll be stopping for pee breaks anyway. My F-250 shortbed only holds 24 gallons and could certainly use a longer range. It would also be nice to be able to fill up here in SC where fuel is much cheaper and have enough to go to TN and back. One could also use a transfer tank if they were contemplating using a WVO setup.
Back to top Go down
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-08-08

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:38 am

First thing is, are you using it for gas or diesel?  Some saddle tanks are not " supposed " to be used for gasoline.  Just saying.  Check out a company called Transfer Flow.  They make replacement oversize fuel tanks that mount in stock location.  High $$$$, but seem to have good quality and reviews.  The other option, is a "in bed" saddle tank.  Tons of options available, pending how much bed space you want to give up.  Check out Northern tool for options.  Northern also sells a "gravity feed" kit that you plumb into your filler next.  It has some mixed reviews but overall pretty good.  My plan with my '06 is to install the "skinny"  60 gallon tank that mounts up in front of truck bed. Install a small electric fuel pump with a T and shut off on one side.  That way i can fuel something else if needed. Off the other side of T, plumb it into the filler neck.  Wire it off relay to ignition hot with a light. That way i don't forget if i get out of truck.  It fills slower but who cares , your driving down the road anyway. just watch your gauge.  I should then have a bit over 90 gallons of fuel to run on.  My '12 Dodge cab and chassis, came factory with a 52 gallon fuel tank.  I added a 70 gallon tool box / tank combo with a regular pump to fuel equipment. After being spoiled with that i knew i had to increase the '06. If you fuel when prices are low or if you shop price on a trip, having that much fuel will help offset the cost over the time period that you have the tank / pump.It's nice to pick your fuel stop by price, not necessity. Be cautious about this purchase, the wife might not appreciate the length between pee breaks. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Raccer
SSXSRider Member
Raccer

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2013-08-24

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 2:01 pm

I have 45 gallon tank I got from Northern that I used to run in my other truck. Norhtern also makes a "T" , ball valve and check valve that allows you to tie into the filler neck of your truck. Works great just crack open the ball valve a little so it is constantly filling your tank. It is good on longer trips also so can buy cheaper fuel when you are going to where you know it is more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 5:56 pm

Like Corey said, I read about Transfer Flow in Trailer Life magazine a lot. I think they might be the ones who make a bed tool box fuel tank combo too.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
aweisgarber
SSXSRider Member
aweisgarber

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I bought a used dually from RCR's Nascar team in Charlotte.It had a Transfer flow in it.It held 100 gallons and would transfer into the stock tank as you were driving.It had a guage pod in the truck that showed how many gallons were in the stock tank and the transfer tank.It was really nice,but I think they cost about $1000.
http://www.transferflow.com/fuel-tanks/in-bed
Back to top Go down
RZR_Joe
SSXSRider Member
RZR_Joe

Number of posts : 1991
Registration date : 2011-04-25

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:30 pm

Goose -  I looked into this also when I first got my F250. I did not want to give up my tool box or take up anymore room in the bed. The best solution I cam up with was a replacement tank from Titan tanks. I replaced the stock 26g with a 50g and had Ford reprogram the ECU for the added capacity. So now it calculates exactly miles to go using the 50g tank. Awesome seeing 868 miles to empty LOL. I have never checked the exact miles to TE but I can go from Raleigh to TE and not stop for fuel - 7.5 hours averaging 9.6mpg thatsright
Back to top Go down
Goose
SSXSRider Member
Goose

Number of posts : 2971
Registration date : 2010-03-15

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Thanks guys. Good ideas I just have to sort it all out. I was looking at the portable poly tank ( diesel) northern has. The one that has a pump system that you hookup to your battery. Very nice but not as nice as an automatic system.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anybody ...... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anybody ......   Anybody ...... Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody ......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: Other BS-
Jump to: