SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)

Go down 
+5
Woodtick
crs
bush
Big-R
GSD677
9 posters
AuthorMessage
GSD677

GSD677

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2015-12-25

What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) Empty
PostSubject: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 5:55 pm

So i need so info. I'm going to take a trip this spring on the Trans American Trail two weeks we would like to take sxs to do this trip. We have done simular trips on motorcycles but my dad is getting older and we think the sxs will be better. We don't have any experience with them and don't know what to buy. I was thinking something like RZR or wild cats but i don't know.
what would you buy if you were going to do a camping trip with sxs self supported (camping out of the sxs) and what mods?

thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I am not sure how hard the trails are. On really tough trails the RZR seems to do the best. If you need storage buy a four seater and use the back seats for all your stuff. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions.

good luck on your ride.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 8:28 pm

polaris General.    it a mix of a rzr and ranger. nice size bed but still sporty
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2013-08-08

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 9:46 am

The real question is how do you ride in general. You going to use the machine, mostly utility or just trail riding? Any machine will do the T.A.T. What dealers are close to your house? Some people rely heavily on dealers/some don't. Figure out what fits you, then make it work. Most folks end up more on the sport side than utility in the long run.

To do the ride i would first start printing off copies of all laws pertaining to UTV's, to be legal, from each state.Carry them with you. Outfit the machine for that,CYA!

This year i did the Paiute Trail and portion of Great Western Trail and surrounding area. Camped off 2 atv's for a week. Didn't pack too heavy. Carried MRE'S, 3 gals fuel and 2 gals of water, regular trail items, tent, tarp, folding chair ,per bike. We rode into the towns along the way to restock fuel/ water. Never had a issue.

I believe you could do similar to do the TAT. Just change the math for, people (2)/machine (100 mile range)/ distance(4800 miles). It's not a hard trail, just an adventure. Keep us posted. Love trips like this .
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 5:05 pm

crs wrote:
....... Love trips like this .

Me too. I would love to ride from Trails End to Evarts one day.
Back to top Go down
GSD677

GSD677

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Thank we were looking at getting a 2 seat and a 4 seater i guess more asking is there a brand that is known to have issues and for riding we tend to break things Wink
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 8:55 am

Yamaha makes about as bullet proof machine as there is out there. Are there faster buggies? sure are. But none any more built to last than Yamaha.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 7:11 pm

GSD677 wrote:
Thank we were looking at getting  a 2 seat and a 4 seater i guess more asking is there a brand that is known to have issues and for riding we tend to break things Wink

All Brands have issues. I have a Polaris XP 900 4 and have had great luck with it. I have owned three different brands, yamaha, kawasaki and polaris. All of them are good and bad in their own ways. However, as far as ability polaris has been the best. I am not knocking the others because I have never owned one but Cam Am and Cat seem to have the ability also.

2cents
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptySun Dec 27, 2015 10:21 pm

if you ride rough , and want the best climber and power, get an XP 1000.
if you need to carry a lot of stuff , and still want a good trail
machine , Get a Polaris General..... allright
What ever you get , Get a Polaris , The 4wd system is unmatched.
And parts are easy to get , And has the best after market supply there is.
Back to top Go down
PWM
SSXSRider Member
PWM

Number of posts : 1082
Registration date : 2008-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 8:32 am

ALL of them break and have their issues. Your riding style/area and the most important is the dealer network in your area that you are happy with. No matter what you get, you will not be happy if you do not trust your dealer.

I've had many different ones as well. My 800 Ranger went anywhere I put it even though it was not built for that and broke many things although the warranty paid most of it.
Back to top Go down
http://cumberland-mudders.forumotion.com/index.htm
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 10:53 am

Not going to start one of "those" conversations here. Just my experience.
Commander; 4500 miles one bearing, one steering rack.(defect)

Maverick; 1200 miles, nothing but oil changes

Big-r....what about starting a thread on the TE-Evarets run. Windrock to Ride Royal Blue is no biggie. I know nothing past that.have others imput on this to make this happen. What you think?
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 1:54 pm

The main limiting factor for most folks would be how much gas they can carry. If we do a run like that Budweiser is going to have to send a truck out to wherever we are going to be camping each night.
Back to top Go down
njcraddock
SSXSRider Staff
njcraddock

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-04-26

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 2:11 pm

GSD677 wrote:
 and what mods?

thanks for the help
Regardless of whatever buggy you end up with you are going to need to make it street legal. Each state varies on what they require, my understanding is that some of the western states are much easier, CO excepted. You will also need lots of storage area. A longer wheelbase vehicle is naturally going to give you more. And before I would even think about attempting this I would do a few trial runs, such as Windrock to RRB one day and back the next. There was a thread on rzrforums.net a few years ago where a couple guys from AZ did the whole cross-country trail. They did a pretty good job documenting the builds with the RZRs and from the trip itself. If I remember the only time they had issues with the popo was in CO, where their poop doesn't stink.

http://www.rzrforums.net/utv-inc/41286-4800-mile-utv-ride-across-america.html
Back to top Go down
reevesr
SSXSRider Member
reevesr

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Arkansas does not let you ride SXS on public roads.

Whenever the group did the 4800 mile ride across America, Arkansas was letting us ride on the streets with a registration.
The Attorney General took this away from us.
Back to top Go down
GSD677

GSD677

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 6:52 pm

Thanks for the info guys we will definitely do some weekend trips when we get them. I have a feeling some of y'all may be convinced to come on a ride or two just to show me what can be done in a sxs.
Back to top Go down
crs
SSXSRider Member
crs

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 9:07 am

njcraddock wrote:
The main limiting factor for most folks would be how much gas they can carry. If we do a run like that Budweiser is going to have to send a truck out to wherever we are going to be camping each night.
roflmao I guess there is only one way to find out. The Captain has a strange way of hiding in some pretty small locations also. HNY
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2015 10:10 pm

GSD677 wrote:
Thanks for the info guys we will definitely do some weekend trips when we get them. I have a feeling some of y'all may be convinced to come on a ride or two just to show me what can be done in a sxs.

That's a great idea. Just let us know when you are ready to ride. There is always someone in this group out riding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)   What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs) Empty

Back to top Go down

What sxs would you buy(newbie looking for sxs)
Page 1 of 1