SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

exhaust cooling fan

Go down 
+7
shawnley1222
rhinomikey
ChrisC
Neuromax
wvyankee2
rcmass
Junkman673
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Junkman673

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-08-18

exhaust cooling fan Empty
PostSubject: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:13 pm

after my first trail ride with my recently bought 05 Rhino, I discovered that it tends to bog down in deep mud. I was told on another forum that it could be the exhaust cooling fan on the right side of the engine. It looks like the only purpose for it is to keep a breeze blowing across the exhaust. I took it off but haven't "trail tested " it yet. I suppose I'm looking for someone who has done the same thing.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 2:50 pm

when I had my 660 - I did the same thing - and even added an alba exhaust.... never ahd any problems with it - and it helped the bog down tremendously....

I had a thread on here with pics - but I guess it got deleted with the server change....

the most oyu may have to do - is buy an extra rubber grommet where the exhaust bolts to the frame - keep it with you - if oyu melt the one on there - replace it on the trail...

HAPPY MUDDIN!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:41 pm

Here is the thread and pics. https://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/photo-and-video-links-f6/fan-on-right-side-removed-t453.htm#4245

I have been thinking about this too, and trying to talk myself out of doing it for a year now. My present thinking is, does this fan help to remove heat from the motor compartment? Did anyone who did this Mod experience the doghouse getting any warmer afterwards. This fan has to also help remove heat from under the doghouse.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 3:58 pm

I took mine off before I went on my first ride, never has had an issue. Take it off!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 4:44 pm

I like yank's thinkin'. That fan just has to remove some of the hot air under the engine cover. That's a good thing. The fan bogging you down in the pits, well, that's a bad thing. How about someone with skills and tools make us up some sort of clutch for the squirrel cage? Then you could have the best of both worlds. I'll avoid the deeeeeep stuff, and keep the fan on.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyTue Sep 09, 2008 10:44 pm

I've debated that too.. I have stuck my hand as close as as I could get to the outlet and it does pull some hot-air from the cover. But again, in water it is a hinderence, but never has stalled the motor, in mud I'd see where it could be a problem.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 am

Must not be a big deal. yamaha must of thought it was not
needed. cause the 08 and 09's 700's dont have it.

Chris..... cheers
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:23 am

ChrisC wrote:
Must not be a big deal. yamaha must of thought it was not
needed. cause the 08 and 09's 700's dont have it.

Chris..... cheers

Very good point Chris.
Back to top Go down
rhinomikey

rhinomikey

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 am

Mine has been off for a while now with no problems except for the fact that it seems to me the bed does get a little hotter than it used to, but no biggy...
Back to top Go down
Junkman673

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-08-18

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 9:11 am

i'll try it without it for now. If it looks like it's getiing too hot I'll "redneck rig" up some sort of 12v electric fan to cool things off.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 9:17 am

OR JUST SPLASH THE BED BY HITTING A DEEP WATER HOLE - problem solved and everything gets clean - including the crappy radiator yami put on these Wink
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 4:43 pm

rcmass wrote:
OR JUST SPLASH THE BED BY HITTING A DEEP WATER HOLE - problem solved and everything gets clean - including the crappy radiator yami put on these Wink

how i fix it :)
Back to top Go down
Bad Behavior

Bad Behavior

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 6:08 pm

I just jerked mine off scratch Embarassed today. The fan, that is. Mine bogged down so bad Sunday that the engine stalled out, and I got water in the tailpipe. Water didn't get in the engine, though. hail We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 8:29 pm

Mine is off. I took it off after the first ride. The Rhino definitely does not need anything that kills the power. With the fan deep, lomg mudholes felt like I was towing 3 extra Rhino's. No problem with the fan gone.

Now if you are a farmer parking in hay fields leave it on....
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyWed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 pm

i took mine off back in may after i got stuck in a mud hole up to the sets and it would only run in N with it to the floor. the fan got into the housing.

exhaust cooling fan 100_1673

exhaust cooling fan 100_1675

Last edited by bush-rhino on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyMon Sep 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Took mine off today. Fan was warped.
Back to top Go down
roadtrip

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-13

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 12:48 am

Thanks for the heads up I will be taking mine off too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: exhaust cooling fan   exhaust cooling fan Empty

Back to top Go down

exhaust cooling fan
Page 1 of 1