SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?

Go down 
+3
Neuromax
ChrisC
Tiger Rag
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tiger Rag

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2008-01-26

Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? Empty
PostSubject: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 pm

I have a creaking type squeaky noise out of the steering. It is loud. I greased the steering box components under the boot as was suggested by another guy during a conversation. That didn't fix it. I changed the brakes; no change. I checeked the bearings and they have very little play. My Rhino does have wheel spacers and c-series wheels so I'm sure there is some additional pressure in the area. My thought now are that it may be the balljoints. Anyone have any history of symptoms of failing balljoints? Any help is greatly appreciated, Matt
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 8:32 pm

the joints are sealed. but you might be able to grease the ball joints
with a grease needle. just slide it under the rubber and fill her up.. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 8:48 pm

ChrisC wrote:
the joints are sealed. but you might be able to grease the ball joints
with a grease needle. just slide it under the rubber and fill her up.. Wink

Might be worth a try. Wonder if they're damaged though? However, everything seems tight.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 9:26 pm

Tiger,

The bushings in A-Arms will creak/squeak too if they get too dry. Might try lubing them too.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Matt I got your message and will call you back tomorrow.

I have heard the squeaking on his Rhino, I don't think its the bushings because it does it sitting still in the garage just by moving the steering wheel slightly.

NO WAIT, Its lack of use!!! RIDE more, squeak less!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 10:41 pm

its eather the tie rod ends are dry or the ball joints are dry.
Grease everything you can get to..... Wink
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 10:44 pm

Check the ball joint nuts to see if they are loose.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Sep 17, 2008 10:47 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:

10-4 on that. Mine have been loose more than a few times..........
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 7:25 am

ridepate wrote:
Tiger,

The bushings in A-Arms will creak/squeak too if they get too dry. Might try lubing them too.

That's the same thing that Todd at Hunteworks said. I think that is it. I went up to the garage and just did a brief test last night with a can of WD-40. Seemed to help. I probably need to pull everything apart so I can lube it better.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 9:59 am

Neuromax wrote:
Matt I got your message and will call you back tomorrow.

I have heard the squeaking on his Rhino, I don't think its the bushings because it does it sitting still in the garage just by moving the steering wheel slightly.

NO WAIT, Its lack of use!!! RIDE more, squeak less!

That could be Daryl. It's just too hot in the summer for me to want to ride.

Also the guy I bought it from kept it spotless...literally better than showroom appearance. He probably had the pressure washer to it often. Wonder if that could affect the a-arm bushings. After having my wife turn the wheel and listening closely, that is where is sounds like it is coming from. It's just going to be difficult to lube without pulling it all apart.
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyThu Sep 18, 2008 10:00 am

wvyankee2 wrote:

They appear to be tight.
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Ok, I've continued to spray wd-40 2 or 3 times and it seems to have helped. Must be dry bushings. Thinking about a penetrating oil like a PB Blaster that might get in there better. Not completely gone but certainly better.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 12:08 pm

I got some new wheels and tires and while I pulled the old ones off, I went ahead and pulled the A-arms off to grease the bushings. After reassembling that was not, it was still squeaking.

My friend "Neuromax" came over to pick up a part I grabbed for him when I went to get my new wheels and tires and we looked at it briefly. I turned the wheel and we compressed the steering while he looked. I had totally missed it by Daryl saw the skid plate on the a-arm flexing. I guess it had moved and gotten in a bind. I haven't moved it yet to veryify that is the issue but it does look like that is the problem. I will update later. Thanks for the help Daryl!
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 12:12 pm

wow. simple fix....

I have heard that the metal a arm guard will move a lil and cause a lil squeak...didnt even think about that until you just mentioned it...

NOW, EVERYONE GO QUICK AND TIGHTEN YOUR A ARM GUARDS Wink
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 1:45 pm

You are welcome Matt, it was just one of those things that is hard to find by yourself. I just happened to see it flexing. I am certain that is the cause of the noise.

I think I am going to replace the brakes on mine now, they aren't gone but they can't be far from it. Lets go ride!
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Neuromax wrote:
You are welcome Matt, it was just one of those things that is hard to find by yourself. I just happened to see it flexing. I am certain that is the cause of the noise.

I think I am going to replace the brakes on mine now, they aren't gone but they can't be far from it. Lets go ride!

Trust me, I'm dying to ride,.....but after seeing a big buck last night with nothing but moonlight and a silouette.....I'm dying to hunt too.

Last edited by Tiger Rag on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 2:34 pm

I saw 2 deer this weekend, combine them! Ride with a gun and you can do both!
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 4:57 pm

Mud would have stopped the noise..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyTue Oct 14, 2008 5:13 pm

roamerr wrote:
Mud would have stopped the noise..... Laughing

Now you tell me....and after all that wrenching.... Tools Embarassed Smiles
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Ok, I adjusted the skid plates and that corrected it. Man, what a relief...that was worrying the dog out of me.

Now on lubing the bushings......that worked great on my old Honda Foreman at the hunt club this weekend! Thanks for the advice there, now I'm back to a fairly stealthy machine again to transport me hunting! Just a squirt of WD-40 on all the A-arm joints did the trick!
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 pm

yeah but now the deer will smell the WD40 LOL
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyWed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Neuromax wrote:
yeah but now the deer will smell the WD40 LOL

That's true enough but I just park where it'll run them to my stand :afro:

I actually have a gun cleaning kit that is supposed to be scent free so that deer cannot smell my fire iron.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyThu Oct 16, 2008 10:12 pm

spray some doe in heat on them joints Wink humper
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 12:14 am

ridepate wrote:
Tiger,

Patting my own back..........................................Listen to the man :afro: when he talks.............
Back to top Go down
Tiger Rag

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? EmptyFri Oct 17, 2008 8:54 am

ridepate wrote:
ridepate wrote:
Tiger,

Patting my own back..........................................Listen to the man :afro: when he talks.............

I appreciate the suggestion, it defintely worked on the old Honda. No luck with that method on the Rhino though.

As a matter of fact I've got the right a-arm quiet now on the Rhino but still some squeaking on the drivers side...it is about to drive me crazy. I may just pull the alum skid off all together and see if that is definitely it....I still think it is. It must have moved when I tightened it and now it squeaks again. May have to trim a little with the grinder, just need to look at it and see where it is marred and that will probably be where it is rubbing/squeaking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?   Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Creaking type noise in steering on Rhino....balljoints maybe?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: