SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.

Go down 
+6
Big-R
Foxfire
rcmass
misterp
wvyankee2
ChrisC
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. Empty
PostSubject: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:24 pm

As you all know the front drive shaft on all Rhinos chatters... :evil:
Some worse than others. it is Harmonics that causes it.
I decided to take it back to the dealer. just to hear what thay would say. Rolling Eyes
it was a song and dance. thay pulled the front shaft and greased.
I already knew what it was before i took it. you know investigate very well... Wink
so in the end thay did nothing. said thay called yamaha and yamaha told them
what i already knew. the lenth of the shaft it to long. and the shaft it to small.
so it vibates under the floor.... Rolling Eyes and as thay said its the nature of the beast.
Like Po Po thay have had this problems for years and never addressed it.
but atleast my motor ant going to blow up.... :(lmao:
Sorry i could not help it..... Razz
ok on a serious note. I have decided i cant stand it. and i am going to fix it.
what it needs is a midshaft bearing about hafe way up the front drive shaft.
with the console out. i can put one foot on the drive shaft and one foot on the gas peddle.
and rev up. and it is a quite as a mouse.... allright
so that is the problem. i will haft to weld a subframe for the bearing to mount to.
and press it on the shaft. i will find a greasable piller bearing.
and i think it will take care of it. Yamaha said thay get 2000 complaints a year.
just go to RF.net. and listen to people bitch.
But i am going to fix it.
I will keep you all up to date on the progress.
now to look for a bearing..... allright

Chris..... Wink
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Good luck on the parts. That sounds like a very interesting mod.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:03 pm

I have bad ears but I never heard mine chatter.
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Chris, are you talking about the vibration in 4WD? Mine has done it since day one. Took it back twice and they say it is normal. Mine vibrates anytime in 4WD. More when under a slight load. I don't like running 4WD any more than I have to over it. There should be no vibration. My old Polaris, you could not tell when it was in 4WD.
Mike
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:18 pm

I have no vibration in 4wd. You cannot tell if it's in or out. Is this a problem with the 700's? First I ever heard about it.
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

PostSubject: new ecu   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:21 pm

Chris, I put the dynatek ECU on the Rhino. Did not make much of a difference I thought. Going down hill on pavement It got up to 51 when the REV limiter kicked in. On flat level hard surface it will run 43. Not sure if It is the windshield, (wind resistance) or the 27inch tires. But it seems to be over geared with the new tires. Now when I am on a trail I run in low gear the whole time. Then when climbing I wish it was lower. Love the large tires but don't like the gearing loss. Will a new sheve fix that?
Mike

Last edited by misterp on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 8:48 pm

On the Middlesboro ride was actually the first time I felt ours vibrate. Was kinda freaked at first, but figured it was just mud somewhere it need not be, or just the nature of the machine after breaking it in a little more.
Back to top Go down
rcmass

rcmass

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:05 pm

I never noticed any vibration in 4wd, hi, low, or locked diff.... guess if you got it, it owuld get annoying. but is it hurting anything? just curious - or is it just annoying?
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:22 pm

Any vibration is not your friend......it causes premature failures of things like seals, bearings......anytime one can eliminate a vibration one should.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Yeah, I noticed it on my first ride. Yamaha said it was normal. Now I just turn the I-pod up and give it hell Smiles
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 9:54 pm

If some do it, and some don't.. then in my book it is a problem. I am curious what Chris finds out on his.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:03 pm

It seems like it is a problem with the 08 700's. Their is a thread on it at Rhinoforums.net

http://www.rhinoforums.net/showthread.php?t=19061
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:17 pm

chris when does the vibration take place like the others on here sayin in 4wd or at other times? I know mine rattles like s som b*t*h when i hammer the brakes its annoying but wont go away
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:22 pm

All Rhinos do it. , Yes Marty your does to, Wink
you just got use to it. a 660 does it in a different speed a little higher RPM.
a 700 does it at a little lower RPM. and you dont even haft to be driveing
just rev a little till you hear the floor chatter. it will do it. Yamaha
said thay have all done it since late 2003 when thay came out.
a 700 is a little more notestable cause the motor is lower and the
rubber mounts are bigger. but it is a known fact all rhinos vibrate
the front shaft. more so after a few miles. we cranked 9 brand new ones
and thay all did it. not as much as mine of course because thay never been drove.
but thay all did it. and yes thay have a 660 and it did it too. it has been an on going deal.
most of you that have had them for sometime. have just gotton use to it. and dont think
about it. mainly cause most people just dont know what to do. 😢
Well i am going to try to fix it. one way or another i think i can.
if you dont believe me. take the cover off where the cup holder is.
the tunnal so to speak. its 4 screws. then crank it. in nutreal
rev it up slow. then put your right foot on the front drive shaft. you
will see it. then take your left foot and push the gas slow.
you will think you are in a different machine. it is so much more
quite...... Wink

I am going to give it a try and see..... cheers
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:24 pm

No Chris, I have zero vibrations out of my driveline. I could put tape over my speedo and you could not tell me whether I was in 4wd or not.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:27 pm

misterp wrote:
Chris, I put the dynatek ECU on the Rhino. Did not make much of a difference I thought. Going down hill on pavement It got up to 51 when the REV limiter kicked in. On flat level hard surface it will run 43. Not sure if It is the windshield, (wind resistance) or the 27inch tires. But it seems to be over geared with the new tires. Now when I am on a trail I run in low gear the whole time. Then when climbing I wish it was lower. Love the large tires but don't like the gearing loss. Will a new sheve fix that?
Mike

Mosterp , i dont know what to say. the ECU really woke mine
up. even with 27 's it will skeet pretty good. i feel i have more power
with the ECU and 27's than with no ECU and stock 25's.
Marty can tell you it runs well even with big tire.
i can hit around 50 to 51 on flate pavement.
i could only hit 42 before the ECU with 25's or 27's
I have alot more bottom end. dont screw with the sheeve
leave the clutch and sheeve alone.

Chris..... Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:33 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
No Chris, I have zero vibrations out of my driveline. I could put tape over my speedo and you could not tell me whether I was in 4wd or not.

Marty it has nothing to do with being in 4wd.... :D
Rhinos Vibrate. even in nutreal. thay just vibrate.
everyone ever made does. and its the front drive shaft.
it vibrates setting still. Wink

if your rhino has no vibration what so ever.
you are about to be a rich man. because out of the
nearly 1,000.000 that has been sold you have the only one ever
made that dont have vibration in it...... cheers

Marty , i am not saying your lieing.
i honistly think you dont know what to look for.
and have just excepted the way it is.
if i could show you it would blow your mind. it is as
smooth as a motorcycle without the front drive shaft in it.... :D
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:37 pm

your speedo could be off cause of the tires... my speedo reads 47 but the gps says 55 Smiles

all a sheave will do it up the top end speed nothing to the bottom end just fyi and i have a sheave and cdi so if you want more top end get the sheave if not might as well leave it stock and i have to agree with chris leave the clutch from alllll the lookin i did it seemed like the stock clutch setup was the best all around setup i have stock clutch and roller weights and i got 29s and i can spin them in mud and climb hills yes you loose some bottom end but not as bad as people make it seem sorry chris :hijacked: just tryin to help a brother out .....

-----> so chris your sayin it vibrates alllll the time i only hear mine rattle when i hit the brakes HARD but a bearing in the middle should fix it just nice good thing fabin comes easy to some Wink
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:46 pm

shawnley1222 wrote:
your speedo could be off cause of the tires... my speedo reads 47 but the gps says 55 Smiles

You may be right shawn. but i know its a bit faster than 43.
but i dont like that crap. No i dont like winding the motor
that hard. i dont care if it runs 35. you never get much over 25 in the woods.
and thats what i bought it for. to climb over rocks.. Wink
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 10:50 pm

well a riding spot close to home is county proptery but got some good hills, creek, big bowl, trails it has it all but gotta run down the road and across a somewhat major highway(4 laner) and cops tend to get mad and show up so gotta be able to getty up and go when you see Cop but the sheave actually makes it run faster at a lower RPM thats why it can run faster mainly
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Everyone said to not put a sheeve on if you are a woods rider.
that it will hurt bottom some by ingaugeing to quick. Wink
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 11:14 pm

well my ride has no problem in the woods so dunno
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 11:44 am

Well chris, make a fix and do it in a cost efective way and something that can be bolted on and then build and sell units to all those rhino guys that have the problem, might be a good side business!
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 2:18 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Everyone said to not put a sheeve on if you are a woods rider.
that it will hurt bottom some by ingaugeing to quick. Wink

I'll have to respectfully disagree with "everyone"?? A sheave changes nothing on the bottom, period. At least H/W's does not. Maybe some of the dune sheaves are machined a little different, but I've never heard of it. Nothing ingauges any quicker either unless you change the weights. All a modified sheave does is let the rollers go out further which in turn lets the belt ride higher on the primary giving you higher top-end at lower rpms.

Last edited by ridepate on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. EmptyTue Sep 30, 2008 6:21 pm

I did not look at the GPS this last ride while driving. My speedo was slow before the new tires. And with the 27's it was dead on. at 40 anyway. I am not looking for a speed demon. But like to ride fast from time to time. enjoy the trail much more. 10 - 20 if my favorite riding speed. I was just expecting more from the new ECU from what everyone was saying. I got it from Hunterworks. First thing I noticed was that the backfiring going down hill while engine braking has quit. Looks like it advances the timing and changes the curve, plus changes the rev limiter to 8K from 6,500. And sets the speed gov to 199 MPH> One of the guys I work with just sold his 660 and had done quite a bit of work to it. He says that I went wrong getting the 700. says you could do much more with the carb. He wants me to get the programmer and an O2 Sensor. Says I can do much more with that over the ECU. Think I will put my money somewhere else though. Looking at lowering the cage for the next project. Thanks guys... Rhino's rock!!!!!1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.   The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Dam Drive Shaft. I am going to fix it.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next