Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Ignition boxes make me confused

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Ignition boxes make me confused Empty
PostSubject: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Ok here's the deal. As you all know I am new to this Rhino stuff. I am looking to get some more power from my 700 particuarly bottom end. From what I have seen on all the different forums using a programmable controller is the way to go, then exhaust. So that brings up the question, which one? Seems the most popular is the Dynatek. Is there any out there that have selectible multiple maps? Come on guys help a newbie out.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6264
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Well, I recommend the VDI, especially if you are going to add an exhaust. I know some will argue this and that, but the VDI unit has served me very well on my King Quad and I am adding one to my Rhino once I get back. The VDI is a programmable unit, but it will come set from the factory with two maps. One will be the factory settings with the limiters, and the other will be the advance timing map with no limiters. It has a switch you can flip to choose between the two. You can also tweak your own map with the USB interface and a computer if you like to make it feel "right" to you. Units run differently so the ability to tune is a plus for some, especially if you add a high-flow airfilter or exhaust. If you want the bottom end, you can always try shims behind the primary clutch, but you will lose a little on the top end.
I don't think you would be disappointed with the VDI, but it is a little pricey. Right now with the exchange rate they are a little over 400 dollars. They normally sell for around 500 bucks.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 9:19 pm

if you want bottom end. dont screw with the exaust
you dont need a programmer unless you plan on doing alot of mods.
like a big bore and a pipe. and intake and other stuff. if you just want more bottom
end. get eather a Dynatek or a MSD. its plug and play.
the VDI is fine too.

Dynatek is $225. need programmer. another $220
MSD is $355 Programable
VDI is $500. programable.

Frankly a Dynatek is all you need.

Chris..... allright

Last edited by ChrisC on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 10:55 pm

I might be coco but I think I agree with Chris on this one. If you plan on modding your rhino out, then the VDI is for you. If you want to plug something in and go......Dynatek. Many people are happy with it and the price is right.

Disclaimer...... These are things I have read and only 2cents I will probably get a Dynatek myself.

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Lucky Rabbit Foot Key Chain Club
Red Rhino keychain club  

SouthernSxSRider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 12:15 am

Dyna-Tek........... without the programmer. Plug and play........go from 41/42 to 48ish.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 1:08 am

ridepate wrote:
Dyna-Tek........... without the programmer. Plug and play........go from 41/42 to 48ish.

50-51 with a good tail wind. on 27 i might add.... allright
Back to top Go down
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:33 pm

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Maybe 🎅 will bring one. I have to finish farkle #4 first, I am building a 14 1/2 by 7 hydraulic tilting tailer with winch, it is currently on the saw horses, top frame is done except welding on hinges and paint. The sub frame is coming together one more cross member to cut out and it is ready to start welding together. Couple weeks (hopefully)
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 7:32 pm

RickV wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply guys. Maybe 🎅 will bring one. I have to finish farkle #4 first, I am building a 14 1/2 by 7 hydraulic tilting tailer with winch, it is currently on the saw horses, top frame is done except welding on hinges and paint. The sub frame is coming together one more cross member to cut out and it is ready to start welding together. Couple weeks (hopefully)

I wish I knew how to work with metal. Now I know wood working but that does no good with Rhinos.....

14 RZR XP 900 4
2012 Teryx 4
11 RZR XP 900 sold
08 RZR S 820 sold
08 Rhino 700EFI sold
2013 Teryx 4 LE sold

Lucky Rabbit Foot Key Chain Club
Red Rhino keychain club  

SouthernSxSRider Member # 1
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 7:40 pm

ChrisC wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Check your six................................... lol!
Ignition boxes make me confused 11aips1
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 8:05 pm

ridepate wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
ridepate wrote:

Check your six................................... lol!
Ignition boxes make me confused 11aips1

I am never going to see that Jimbo..... allright
I am never going to fool with my clutch or sheave.
i am a woods machine. you can stay the king of speed..... king

Chris..... cheers
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 1:59 pm

I am a woods machine too Chris. I just like the tunnel-vision maybe a little more than you............... :D
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 8:19 pm

uplaugh uplaugh uplaugh clap clap hail hail allright allright coco coco
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ignition boxes make me confused   Ignition boxes make me confused Empty

Back to top Go down

Ignition boxes make me confused
Page 1 of 1