Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Snorkle Jetting

Go down 
AuthorMessage
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 6:15 pm

quick question about jetting on a snorkle. does the snorkle create a lean or rich condition? just need to know which direction to go. it has two brothers duals so im thinking its already running a little lean because it will have the temp light come on every now and then on longer rides.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10317
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 7:08 pm

If it does anything at all it may richen it up. This is why. If you have a Carb model the Rhino uses a CV ( Constant velocity /Constant vacuum) Carb. This Carb is highly dependant on having Atmospheric pressure at the inlet of the airbox. This pressure is 14.7psia. The airflow generated by this pressure creates velocity thru a venturi in the Carb that then causes a vacuum that pulls the gas up thru your jet. When you snorkel, you create a situation where the pressure at the inlet to the airbox is reduced to less than 14.7 psia. The 14.7 psia will be at the opening to your snorkel and the actual pressure at the inlet of the airbox will be less than that, and will drop furthur the farther you run the snorkel. Now less pressure means less velocity across the venturi, which means less fuel pulled up thru your jet. That means that going to a larger jet will do you no good, because the performance of the Carb is already being restricted. I would not touch the Carb until after you snorkel, and see how it does. I would also take the 2inch snorkel to 3 inches as soon as you have the room to do it.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5481
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 9:20 pm

Moto to be honist. from what i have read. most people never
can find the right combination of jetting after a snorkel job. and just cant get them
to run the same. and some end up takeing them off. atleast in my reading,
thats what i have found... Wink
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5293
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 10:38 am

Only way to tell is do it and take spark plug chops. If you know how to do it you can dial it in easy, Ive done many big air and free flowing pipes on harleys with carbs and efis its all the same. I do disagree with yank though. If you open up the exhaust it runs leaner, if you open up the carb to more air it runs leaner. I think the rhino uses the Kehin carb same as harleys. So id say with both you need to go up one number on the idle jet, then you need to add 2 # 4 brass washers (ace hardware) to jack up the needle jet this covers mid range and up one number on the main which only comes into play at full throttle. Ive been doing this for over 20 years and its fairly simple.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 1:51 pm

Chris hit it on the head. The Rhino 660 does not like snorkeling the air intake. Many users take the snorks off since the CV carb will behave different at different throttle positions. Those differences make plugs chops inaccurate except at full throttle.

Last edited by roamerr on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting EmptyFri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 pm

The only way to do it right, IMO, is get a Air-Fuel Ratio meter from Hunterworks, it is expensive, $250, and you have to weld a bung into your header to accept a O2 sensor, but you probably, with the aid of it, and a DYNO-JET jet kit,could get jetting spot-on with a snork, otherwise without it you'll probably never get it right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snorkle Jetting Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snorkle Jetting   Snorkle Jetting Empty

Back to top Go down

Snorkle Jetting
Page 1 of 1