SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

aluminum welding

Go down 
+2
Foxfire
winchworm
6 posters
AuthorMessage
winchworm

winchworm

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-12-10

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Does anyone have any useful info in welding aluminum with a gas-less wire feed mig welder? I have a small 120v mig, added the aluminum welding kit, reversed polarity on the wire and preheated the aluminum. Nothing seems to be working very well. Any suggestions would be helpful!!!!!!!!!!! Help
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 8:57 pm

scratch What seems to be happening Winchworm Question
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 pm

Never tried it with a gas less .

with a gas welder , it works pretty good..... Wink
Back to top Go down
winchworm

winchworm

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 9:22 pm

With a pre-heated, cleaned butt joint, the aluminum wire tends to just ball up with little or no penetration. I'm holding roughly perpindicular to the seam and using a gun push method. wire speed seems to be fast enough and movement as well. Any help?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 9:25 pm

Winch, 120v just aint enough for good penetration. Maybe for some thin .020 or less sheet, but thats about it.
Back to top Go down
winchworm

winchworm

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 9:33 pm

That's what I was afraid of. I taught myself to weld mild steel and thought I would give this a try. I always enjoy playing with new concepts. Will have to get a 220v set-up and try again. Thanks for the info and if anymore ideas come your way, I would appreciate if you would pass them my way. Thanks
Back to top Go down
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-09-01

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 12:30 am

Winch, here is a short video from Miller that may help. Set the argon to about 20cfh. Watch how fast the guy moves the torch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_MiGrL9350
Back to top Go down
firejunky

firejunky

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-11-04

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 1:05 pm

I have one of those welders. I am ready to throw it in the trash. It is not good for anything but small stuff. I broke the rear diff. support on my rhino. I replaced it with a peice of 1" solid stock and I couldn't get the 120v mig to penetrate at all. I could lay a bead down and turn right around and knock it off right after I get done. I woulod not try to do the aluminum with that type welder. Just my 2 cents worth.
Back to top Go down
http://www.southernmudslingers.com
RickV

RickV

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2008-09-01

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 7:07 pm

Winch, I don't know what happened to one of my threads it disappeared. However it was basically what the video above says. Remember clean, clean, clean is your friend.
Back to top Go down
tommy20/69

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-06-30

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 10:40 pm

i have a linchon mig 140 with the spool mate 100 gun set up with aluminum welding and it does pretty good on 5/16 on down thickness.and i use my mig 100 for my metal jobs like bumpers and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

aluminum welding Empty
PostSubject: Re: aluminum welding   aluminum welding Empty

Back to top Go down

aluminum welding
Page 1 of 1