SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that

Go down 
+5
GunRunner
bush
Neuromax
Big-R
Woodtick
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that Empty
PostSubject: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:35 pm

have been there done that so to speak. What is the reason that most of you pick 14 inch tires when you replace your worn out stock tires? Do the taller tires hurt your power in a noticeable manner? I'm sure not "due" to replace my tires yet as my buggy is only a little over a month old, but I think that I like the ITP TerraCross radial. My nephew has a set and is very pleased with his. I'm trying to avoid having to buy new wheels if there isn't a real advantage to the 14's. I figured my best bet was to ask the guys that would know. That would be you boys! Like to hear all your pro's and con's please. Thanks for your time guys.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:48 pm

Woodtick,

I am guessing that you are refering to 14" wheels? The only reason for 14" wheels is the look. Actualy, I think you get more sidewall pinch/puncture flats then 12" wheels.

As for tires. The bigger you go the slower you go. I have 26" tries.
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm

many have gone to 14" but many or probably most are still running 12's. The 14" and 12" measurement isn't the height of the tire its the rim size (14" is just a bigger hole in the rim, the tire height is usually 25, 26, or 27") Personally, I still have 12" wheels and am quite happy with them. With the 14" wheels there is less side wall to hit but that leaves more exposed rim to damage. I really think its just a personal choice.

As for taller tires effecting your power, the taller they are the more power it takes to turn them.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 11:09 pm

i have the 14'' rims now but if i was going to buy a set of rims now i would go with the 12s. the 14 are many for looks but the only good they do is have less sidewall flex but then you get more wheel/rim damage. and i think you also get more sidewall pinch. also the tire selection on the 14 are limited and they are more $$. when i buy a new sxs i am going with the 12 rims. 2cents

most also go with the taller tires for more ground clearance and a more aggressive tread pattern.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 11:47 pm

You'll see a lot of people that buy 14's end up wanting to get rid of them and go back to 12's. yeh they look nice but they (14) weight more, resulting in a power-loss, maybe not a huge one, but a loss none the less. And as said ,the choices for tires are triple with 12's.

Last edited by ridepate on Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 am

I differ on some of these opinions, it doesn't matter if you run a 12'' rim or a 14'' rim, the tire size in diameter is the same. A 26'' bighorn on a 12'' rim is the same height as a 26'' bighorn on a 14'' rim. Most times the extra weight of the 12'' tire(distance from bead to rim will equal the added weight of the 2'' larger aluminum rim so power loss will be the same on either one. The advantages to a 14'' rim is less sidewall flex of the tire, this is a good thing on a heavy sxs but the flex of the bigger sidewalls on a 12'' is good on an atv giving you more manuverability. I like the control i get with the 14'' on the sxs, also the 14'' tire market is going full speed, most any tread pattern is now available.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Thanks guys, good information all.   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 12:02 pm

I really appreciate the patience you guys have shown me asking all these questions. Being new to a side X side though, some of this stuff I just wouldn't have any idea about if I didn't ask. While they are both off roaders, there is worlds of difference between an ATV like I rode for years and my new Rhino. I can sure tell ya'll one thing! After an all day ride the comfort level isn't even close. My old back and neck have enough sheet metal and screws in there to build the drive train on one of these things. The Rhino is that much more comfortable.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 pm

No problem, youre now one of the family cheers I would suggest being you have the 450 you not go bigger than a 26'' tire so as to not impact your power range.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 9:30 pm

I'm with Gunny, no more than a 26''. If you plan on a black rhino performance package, you can move on up to 27''s.
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Thats a great point GunRunner i was going to say the same exact thing but you beat me to it, There is alot of people that do not realize that it doesnt matter what size wheel you have 10 inch or 20 inch if you put a 27 inch tall tire on them you still have a 27 inch tire, the ground clearance is the same. you just have more or less side wall. Rhino Nut
Back to top Go down
greenhead

greenhead

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 7:19 pm

You will notice some power issues if you go any bigger you just can't avoid it, but you can ride a little lighter foot due to ground clearance but big tires are also hard on CV joints trust me been there no fun.
Back to top Go down
tommy20/69

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun May 10, 2009 11:52 am

i sold my buddy my 14"ss108's with some 27"swamp lites mounted on them and he has a 450 and that thing turns them like they was stockers the one good thing about the 450 is the lower gearing. now you have to consider the swamplite is a very lite tire too.. i have 08, 700 and for everyday riding i have a set of 25"mudlites mounted on my stock rims and for the mud i just bought some 26"outlaws and had them mounted on some vision buckshots rims. the mudlites are wearing really fast so i plan on replaceing them with those moto mtc tires soon i looked at them in the store and they look like they will last a life time the rubber is as hard as a rock and for trail riding thats what i need. [b]
Back to top Go down
rhino nut
SSXSRider Member
rhino nut

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2009-03-21

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:41 am

The only diffence is the look there are 9 of us that ride regularly an there are a mixture of 12s an 14s an we ride ruff rocks we all either run big horns or XTRs an there has not been any one size 12 or 14 that has been worse to cut side walls. The look is the only difference i like the 14s myself but keep in mind if you go to the 14 it will cut your tire choices by about a 1/3 Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that   I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm trying to learn about tires and have some questions for you guys that
Page 1 of 1