SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Smoothing out the ride.

Go down 
+10
cajuncoot
ChrisC
Admin
GunRunner
MarkW
Clayboy
wvyankee2
nocerisdave
Big-R
shawnley1222
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Smoothing out the ride. Empty
PostSubject: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:28 pm

Y'all may or may not know that Dirt Chic has a bum back. (car wreck) Long rides really make her hurt.
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on making the ride smoother for her without loosing any of the vehicle's abilities?
Seat padding? New shocks or adjustment to oem shocks? Mods to seat mounting?
I'm open to any suggestions.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Fancy seats Suspension seats I believe they are called
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Shocks Shocks Shocks. That is the best thing you can do. The progressives will work.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 am

From my experience with the Progessives, the ride is probably stiffer than stock shocks, at slow speeds. Its at higher speeds they are more responsive than the stockers. I suppose you could try to adjust your current shocks to get a more plush ride. I would start there.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 am

DD she will not like the sport-rezzies, the ride is much harsher than the stock-blackies, yes they do soak-up the sharp-edged stuff better without bottoming-out but the over-all ride is a little bit more wagon-like. Whats her complaint?? Just plain harsh, or just hurts in the rough??
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:24 am

Stay with the stock shocks. They are the softest. Run your tires air pressure down to 8 front and 10 rear. no lower. Thats the best your going to do.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 3:42 am

Radial tires and "good" shocks is my recomendation.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 6:58 am

I think what really brings the pain is all the little jolts added together from the day, not just when we hit a bad spot.
I think y'all have given good advice on what a person can do without going crazy with mods or money. clap
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 am

Suspension seats, Like riding around in the recliner.

Costly.

M
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 9:27 am

MarkW wrote:
Suspension seats, Like riding around in the recliner.

Costly.

M

Yep. forgot about those. That would be the ultimate for her DD. They are expensive though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 10:57 am

Ok, let's say my rich uncle dies and I can swing the seats.
From some quick google-ing, looks like I'm gonna need the seats, harnesses, harness bar and better seat bases so the seats can work to the fullest.
Is this the whole nine yards and what brands of the above mentioned do you think offer the best bang?
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 11:41 am

That seems like the entire list, there are plenty of company options basically would have to search on your own.

A few off the top of the heard are PRP, Beard, Twisted Stich(I think), Mastercraft(I believe makes em)

RF has plenty of names or look on Vendor sites from out west they have plenty of them as well
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

DirtDawber wrote:
Ok, let's say my rich uncle dies and I can swing the seats.
From some quick google-ing, looks like I'm gonna need the seats, harnesses, harness bar and better seat bases so the seats can work to the fullest.
Is this the whole nine yards and what brands of the above mentioned do you think offer the best bang?

Best to do some research on Rhinoforums.net for more info on these. I had a set of BS Sands seats and was very impressed by them. I got rid of them because I didn't want to be stuck with the color, and they were the "wide" set. They stuck out 2" outside the cage and would have grabbed on everything coming and going. Most all new seats now will mount right up with your stock seat bases. Beware of sale items on ebay...........some are older discontinued seats that dont mount up to stock seat bases which will cause you some problems finding bases for outdated seats.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 pm

How about just adding gel padded seat covers, im sure they would do some good and be relatively cheap.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:51 pm

2cents

WTF I can't believe you guys think stock shocks are smoother then after market or sport. What did you guys do? Crank those SOB's as stiff as you can get them. My sport shocks ride MUCH better slow or fast. Then are turned down one notch to the soft.

Just because you can go faster with better shocks dose mean they only work better when you are going faster scratch
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:56 pm

Yes R, I'm SHOCKED myself ! lol!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
Yes R, I'm SHOCKED myself ! lol!

DD,

It is night and day between Sport shocks and stock base shocks trust me
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1435
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptyFri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 pm

get the seats..alot better than stock..I PROMISE
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 2:53 am

Big-R wrote:
2cents

WTF I can't believe you guys think stock shocks are smoother then after market or sport. What did you guys do? Crank those SOB's as stiff as you can get them. My sport shocks ride MUCH better slow or fast. Then are turned down one notch to the soft.

Just because you can go faster with better shocks dose mean they only work better when you are going faster scratch

Ronnie, get out of your ride and get in ChrisC's. It will be like getting out of a F-250 and getting in a cadillac. The stockers have the softest ride while riding slowly over rough terrain. I noticed that first thing with my Bilsteins, and Pate said his Yami sports are the same way. You really only notice it the first ride or two after you put them on. then you get used to them and forget..............until you ride in someones with the stockers.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 3:23 am

I respectfully disagree with many statements made in this thread. Until about 2 weeks ago I had 2 Rhino's setting in my garage. 1 with stock shocks and 1 with aftermarket. I could tell the difference backing them out to wash them as of which one had the best ride. I rode my Red Rhino all summer and got used to the nice ride and when my wife wanted to go to Windrock after Thanksgiving, that put me back on the stock shocks of the blue one. I swore after that day that that Rhino would not leave my garage without aftermarket shocks again.

If you have aftermarket shocks of any kind and feel that they are rougher that stock then I ask you to take a look at your sag. Sag is a hard thing to explain and I am sure that I am going to say something that is incorrect so bare with me here. Sag is the distance that the shock will compress from the time it receives pressure to the place where it settles in and stops compressing. All shocks should have at least an inch of sag. More sag equals softer ride to a certain point. Each shock manufacturer should have this information on their website so you can get the recommended sag for your brand.

Anyone that does not believe me is welcome to take a ride in my Rhino and see for yourself and if you do not agree, then I'll buy you a beer. Chug
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 7:29 am

My first ride report with my Bilsteins.

Subject: Re: New Bilsteins on the Rhino Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:43 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Ok, some have asked for a trail report, and I got one for ya. I went on my first ride today since the Bilsteins were installed. Rode 48 miles across a wide variety of terrain. There are some things I liked and some things I am going to have to learn to like Rolling Eyes First the negative. The best way I can describe it is when going slow over rough terrain these shocks are like riding in a 3/4 ton pickup instead of a half ton when the regular shocks were on. They are very firm, and thus make slow rock crawling rougher than the stock shocks. Now the positive which is what these shocks are designed for. The faster and harder you push them the better they are cheers The ability to keep the tires on the ground with these shocks compared to the stockers is incredible. Like I said the harder you push them the better they like it. Bottom line is this. If you like to take it easy with your sidexside, and drive it within it's limits. Keep your stock shocks and save your money to buy some other Mod. If you like to push the limits of your machine on the trail, I would highly recommend these shocks.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 7:44 am

Clay. It's called static-sag ,or droop as some call it. These are both old M/X terms in the suspension dept. It does apply to a Rhino tho also and different shocks require different amounts. Any sag is going to be better than none, if you have none, your pre-load is too stiff, back off on the spring.
I put a wire-tie around the shock-shaft, old M/X trick, then you can see sag and travel amounts.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 8:37 am

wvyankee2 wrote:
My first ride report with my Bilsteins.

Subject: Re: New Bilsteins on the Rhino Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:43 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Ok, some have asked for a trail report, and I got one for ya. I went on my first ride today since the Bilsteins were installed. Rode 48 miles across a wide variety of terrain. There are some things I liked and some things I am going to have to learn to like Rolling Eyes First the negative. The best way I can describe it is when going slow over rough terrain these shocks are like riding in a 3/4 ton pickup instead of a half ton when the regular shocks were on. They are very firm, and thus make slow rock crawling rougher than the stock shocks. Now the positive which is what these shocks are designed for. The faster and harder you push them the better they are cheers The ability to keep the tires on the ground with these shocks compared to the stockers is incredible. Like I said the harder you push them the better they like it. Bottom line is this. If you like to take it easy with your sidexside, and drive it within it's limits. Keep your stock shocks and save your money to buy some other Mod. If you like to push the limits of your machine on the trail, I would highly recommend these shocks.

Then you should have saved some money and bought yourself sport shocks. There is no comparison between the two shocks slow or fast. Now, I can cruse much faster with the sport shocks. However, that does not mean they only work better when I am cruising faster.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySat Jan 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Big-R wrote:
Then you should have saved some money and bought yourself sport shocks. There is no comparison between the two shocks slow or fast. Now, I can cruse much faster with the sport shocks. However, that does not mean they only work better when I am cruising faster.

ridepate wrote:
DD she will not like the sport-rezzies, the ride is much harsher than the stock-blackies, yes they do soak-up the sharp-edged stuff better without bottoming-out but the over-all ride is a little bit more wagon-like. Whats her complaint?? Just plain harsh, or just hurts in the rough??

I dont have the Sport shocks and have never ridin in one with them. Just going by what this guy told me. I experienced the same thing with the Bilsteins.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. EmptySun Jan 25, 2009 4:11 am

You can go to RF.net and just do some reading. No performance
shock rides as smooth as the stockers going slow..... Rolling Eyes
Thats why i never changed mine. Now at some speed. the SE or
any perfomance shock will blow the stock ones away. I learned this
on 4 wheelers and motorcycles many years ago. and its no different to day.
Pate has been through the same thing and he understands. cause he is an old racer
too. if i just wanted the best ride going fast. i would buy some expensive shocks.
i like it slow and rough. ( i will catch shit for that saying Rolling Eyes ) so i will
stay with stock shocks.... Eat

As a foot note. Ronnie only thinks his Rhino rides good.
there is no way in hell it rides trails as good as mine.
I dont care what shock you have. cause he
still has that dam Swaybar on.... Rolling Eyes
You pull the swaybar off a Rhino. and it will ride trails 30% smoother.. Wink
I know cause i did it. and i know it does.

When he finally listens , then it will ride good..... Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoothing out the ride.   Smoothing out the ride. Empty

Back to top Go down

Smoothing out the ride.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next