SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fuel Controllers Don't make power

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hunterworks

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Fuel Controllers Don't make power Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Controllers Don't make power   Fuel Controllers Don't make power EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 7:20 am

I really like to have people totally understand what it is they want to buy and why they want it then know what to do with it when they get it.

When someone calls me and wants any kind of fuel controller for their EFI UTV I ask them why they want it. If their answer is because I want to add more power then I usually talk them out of buying it.

A fuel controller is to EFI what a jet kit is to a carb. A fuel controller is simply a tool to adjust fuel.

If you have a totally stock vehicle and you have not done any engine mods that would require fuel changes you would not rejet if it was a carb model and you would not on a EFI model.

Let's assume that the air/fuel ratio is correct from the factory and you didn't add a pipe, intake, cam etc. So you don't need to change anything and if you do you would be getting less performance.

With that being said most fuel controllers come to you zeroed out which means they add nothing so putting one on does nothing. Again it is a tool to use to add or take away fuel from the stock fuel map. With that being said all fuel controllers don't take away only add and sometimes you need to take it away.

Ok, say you did buy a exhaust or some other engine mod that would change your fueling requirements and you really do need a fuel controller. What do you set it to?? No one can tell you for sure, you will have to purchase a air/fuel gauge to read the air/fuel ratio and shoot for a ratio of 12.5 to 13 throughout the rpm range.

The only time you won't have to do this is when you buy a matching engine mod with a fuel controller that has been pre-programmed or pre-set for you otherwise you are on your own.

Also some think the EFI systems auto adjust like our cars do but they don't, they don't have a O2 sensor to read air/fuel ratio so they can adjust on the fly. This technology is coming though. Expensive but coming!! They do however adjust for elevation and temp.

Just simply think of a fuel controller as the jet kit for EFI.

Todd
Back to top Go down
http://www.hunterworks.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Controllers Don't make power   Fuel Controllers Don't make power EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Todd does that 12.5 to 13 apply to carb'ed units also??? I would think it would, fuels fuel no matter what puts it in the motor?? Correct?
Back to top Go down
Stakk

Stakk

Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Controllers Don't make power   Fuel Controllers Don't make power EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 3:49 pm

It applay's to carb models as well as EFI.....The Kaw V-twins like slightly rich, they tend to make the most power at 12.5-12.7-1 AF ratio
Back to top Go down
hunterworks

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Controllers Don't make power   Fuel Controllers Don't make power EmptyTue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 pm

Same
Back to top Go down
http://www.hunterworks.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuel Controllers Don't make power   Fuel Controllers Don't make power Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Controllers Don't make power
Page 1 of 1