SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cigarette Tax increase

Go down 
+8
Rhino Rob
Big-R
bush
CaptMorgansgirl
shawnley1222
wvyankee2
Foxfire
Dirt Chic
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Dirt Chic
SSXSRider Member
Dirt Chic

Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-09-20

Cigarette Tax increase Empty
PostSubject: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 pm

Effective as of April 1st, 2009, two new tobacco taxes kick in. The Federal Tobacco Tax on cigarettes is $6.21 per carton, on any and every carton of cigarettes sold in the USA.

Also effective April 1st, 2009, the State of Kentucky's new tobacco tax which is $3.00. Add the Federal Tax of $6.21 a carton and the Sate's $3.00 a carton and on April 1st, 2009, smokers will be paying $9.21 MORE for any carton of cigarette they smoke.

Easily $1.00 on the pack and $10.00 on the carton increase plus whatever the cigarette companies decide to raise.

Roll your own bags of tobacco has been taxed severely. Almost $24.00 tax on a pound bad of roll your own. Cheaper to buy the cartons already rolled.

This isn't just a cigarette tax by the way. It is a tobacco tax and all forms of tobacco is taxed and will increase.
Back to top Go down
Dirt Chic
SSXSRider Member
Dirt Chic

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:24 pm

I am not a smoker, but this is bull crap......good way to get the economy going again....this will hurt business owners & probably be more job losses as result.
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Man I gotta quit!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Yep, vote in the party that is the friend of the working man. Give you $13 a week extra in your paycheck and take back $14 in consumer taxes.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:32 pm

I am glad I have already quit snuff now king
Back to top Go down
CaptMorgansgirl
SSXSRider Member
CaptMorgansgirl

Number of posts : 1573
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 10:52 pm

Foxfire wrote:
Man I gotta quit!!!!!!!!!!!! roflmao

Ditto
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:07 pm

i say tax it. make people qiut using it. tobacco cost this country billions in medical bills each year and the working people ar just buying the cigarettes for all the people that get a check
in the mail and then get sick fromsmoking and then we end up paying the DR bills. i grew up
growin tobacco and it has bought me a lot of things but i have never even took a hit of a cigarette or took a dip. the said thig is these people go out and buy cigarettes with all there money that the goverment sends them but dont buy food for there kids.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:12 pm

bush wrote:
the said thig is these people go out and buy cigarettes with all there money that the goverment sends them but dont buy food for there kids.

Or some wacky tobaccy
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:23 pm

bush, what if everyone quit. Do you think the government will reduce their spending. They will find something else to tax. They tax cigs and alcohol because most people think the same thing you do. However, the Government just sees a easy way to tax. Give them time and they will find your pocket.
Back to top Go down
CaptMorgansgirl
SSXSRider Member
CaptMorgansgirl

Number of posts : 1573
Registration date : 2008-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 11:32 pm

Increasing the price of cigarettes is not going to make people quit smoking. It might some that were thinking of quitting anyway......and for the parents that would buy a carton of cigarettes instead of feeding their kids are just #!*#@! losers!
Back to top Go down
Dirt Chic
SSXSRider Member
Dirt Chic

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:31 am

We have ppl in this area who buy bunches of Pepsi with their food stamps, & turn around & sell it for cash. Price increases will not bother some....they will still buy them & let their families suffer.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 am

2yrs ago on the 19th feb. woo hoo

I quit becuase i knew it was killing me one puff at a time, i was hurting my loved ones by subjecting them to my smoke.

Mainly i did not want to deprive my friends and loved ones of my presence for (hopefully) years to come. bahhhaaaaha

And TN's higher tax was instrumental in making my decision easier.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 10:33 am

shawnley1222 wrote:

I didnt , its going to cost me.... Sad
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 11:28 am

ChrisC wrote:
shawnley1222 wrote:

I didnt , its going to cost me.... Sad

it was really hard but forced myslef to do it and its still hard its been almost a year and still hard at times esp when I think about it like right now Mad Sad
Back to top Go down
Last Chance Rhino
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 4:51 pm

I would guess all states will be hitting tobacco and alcohol hard this year to fill spending holes. As someone mentioned, both are easy targets and generally too many don't fuss about it. I don't use tobacco so it will not effect me, but I don't like any tax increase.
Another thing to watch is traffic tickets. Some states have put out the word to write as many tickets as possible to get the revenue up. I don't imagine there will be too many more warning tickets in some areas. Down here everybody with a badge is trying to write speeding tickets.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:04 pm

bush wrote:
i say tax it. make people qiut using it. tobacco cost this country billions in medical bills each year and the working people ar just buying the cigarettes for all the people that get a check
in the mail and then get sick fromsmoking and then we end up paying the DR bills. i grew up
growin tobacco and it has bought me a lot of things but i have never even took a hit of a cigarette or took a dip. the said thig is these people go out and buy cigarettes with all there money that the goverment sends them but dont buy food for there kids.

If you feel that way, then change the word tobacco to alcohol and you have the same argument. After that it will be something else. This kind of thing hurts more than it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:23 pm

GunRunner wrote:
bush wrote:

If you feel that way, then change the word tobacco to alcohol and you have the same argument. After that it will be something else. This kind of thing hurts more than it helps.

We are tax enough as it is. That is if you pay taxes.

P.S. I smoke and I have my own heath insurance. Moreover, I pay for it out of my own pocket.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Yeah, lets tax all consumer behaviour that leads to increased health insurance costs for the General population. First thing would be all snack foods as they increase body mass unneccesarily causing heart disease and Diabetes. I say about a $1 tax per bag of Chips or box of snack cakes will be cool. Then we should place at least a $1000 tax on all equipment for parasailing or bungy jumping. We need at least $200 placed on all hunting weapons to pay for accidental shooting medical costs. Not last or least, but finally for me would be to place a $2000 tax on all UTV's and ATV's to cover the cost of all those emergency room visits every year that are caused by them. The Government shit list can go on for ever and ever................ Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
rubicon05

rubicon05

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 8:01 pm

i also do not agree singling alcohol or tobacco out and increasing taxes is fair either. whether it's easy or not.....

i smoke occasionaly, more so when i drink, and think that increasing taxes on them is bs, but than again 1/2 of these bailout plans are bs as well...giving the banks money to ease large payments for the morons who got themselves in the messes their in....great idea...

..the people who pay their bills on time every time, again, will get nothing. if they are going to give, give fairly.
i'm not into politics at all, but i think it's going to be a long 4 years.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm

GunRunner wrote:
bush wrote:

im not saying that i dont care if they increase taxes. im just saying that if they have to increase taxes on something add it to tobacco or alcohol. i would rather have tobacco/alcohol taxes increased than property tax or sells tax. 2cents

and yes i pay taxes. i may not pay as much taxes as most of you guys but thats because i dont make that much money. i make 2200 a month before taxes,after taxes i get 1600 a month.i dont care to tell that because its public record anyways.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cigarette Tax increase   Cigarette Tax increase Empty

Back to top Go down

Cigarette Tax increase
Page 1 of 1