SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? Empty
PostSubject: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 12:18 pm

Are radials meant to roll just one way? I just put a set of Duro Power Grip radials on the Rhino. This is a NON-DIRECTIONAL tread pattern very much like that of the Maxxis Bighorns. To me they should go as good backwards as they do forwards due to the NON-DIRECTIONAL nature of their tread pattern. Yet, there are arrows on the side wall showing, I'm assuming, the direction they want the tire mounted. Why should it make a difference?? Once again it's time to help the dummy guys! Thanks...
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 pm

If they have arrows they are not non directional. They must be mounted in the direction shown by the arrows. Bighorns are non directional and have no arrows. allright

Last edited by GunRunner on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Duros are directional and should be mounted by the arrows.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 6:19 pm

I can say this if you dont use those arrows correctly you will be stuck often, and wondering what the hell is going on. Thats experience talking.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 6:25 pm

Phil I ran them both ways just to keep the edges squared-off, but in soft sandy river-bottom they did work better in the proper orentation. I know you look at them and think..........."They have to work the same" but they don't.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:45 pm

I mounted them the way they are supposed be and wouldn't doubt the word of any of you guys, I just simply don't understand is all. Looking at that tire, I can't make myself understand how they could be directional tires. But indeed they must be?? Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

nopics
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Power Grip:

Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? Dur_08_tir_pow_gri

Bighorn:

Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? T_big_tire
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:56 pm

We want to see your Rhino with them mounted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 7:58 pm

ha ha ha! It's too dirty from this past weekend and it's pouring down the rain too much to get it cleaned up for a while! Maybe between showers tomorrow if we get a break I'll shoot a pic or two of the dirty rascal.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

My understanding of directional arrows are tied to both the tread pattern and the wear patterns of a tire. Directional tires, that are identical in tread pattern, if they are installed with the arrows in the right direction or not is more for wear patterns, and so you or your tire guy doesnt put them on in the other direction. The directional arrow insures that a tire can be re-fitted in the original direction.

That said in our case if your tread pattern is the same either way it wont make much difference, at first, if you point them in the direction of the arrow or not, unless your tread pattern is one way only.

If the tread pattern is the same in either direction It may not be a bad idea to flip them every now and then......It would make sense that if you could do this it may extend tread life......

Pate, do you think it extends the life to flip them?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

"Pate, do you think it extends the life to flip them?"

Dave, I don't think it's a bad idea... The forward edges get rounded-off. When I flip them, it kind of evens out the wear and re-squares the former-forward edges.......
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 pm

Not sure if this follows suite but.....on truck "unidirectional tires" you are to mount the direction of the arrow because of the way the ply and belts are constructed...in other words the tires are made to roll in one direction @ speed. 2cents
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??   Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can someone "School" me a little on radial tires??
Page 1 of 1