SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changing Secondary spring

Go down 
+3
ridepate
greenhead
Triple J
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triple J

Triple J

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Changing Secondary spring Empty
PostSubject: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:09 pm

Got a buddy that is planning on changing the secondary spring on his 06 - 660.

Any hints on getting it out as it looks like it will be a tight squeeze past the seat frame.
Back to top Go down
greenhead

greenhead

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-31

PostSubject: spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 pm

The way I did it is loosen the front motor mount and pry up on the motor it just needs about an 1\8 of an inch it looks like it will go but if you have the trouble that I did with getting everthing tight like your primary and secondary nuts I would pay close attention to those or you will be putting a new shaft in that thang and that didn't look easy mine wasn't that bad I just used a tap for the nut and run a die on the shaft but thtas not the case here so just take the front motor mount bolt out trust me!
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:48 pm

I did not mess with the motor-mounts at-all. Remove the seat-mounting plate .You will have the primary-off already, gently use a pry-bar aginst the frame and the primary-shaft, the secondary will slip right off. I did look at loosening the motor-mounts, but did so more research and found that trick, much easyier.
To change the spring, draft the nut just a little loose, use a stock Rhino wheel, press-down on the secondary with the nut in the center of the wheel. I did index the nut with a Sharpie before drafting it loose , so I was sure to get it back as tight on the re-install.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:53 pm

Everything ridepate just said plus a pic! I laid down a 2x6 then put the sheave on it then the wheel. Press down with both knees the loosen the nut.

Changing Secondary spring 2009_0208FEBHARLAN0004
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Clayboy wrote:
Everything ridepate just said plus a pic! I laid down a 2x6 then put the sheave on it then the wheel. Press down with both knees the loosen the nut.

Changing Secondary spring 2009_0208FEBHARLAN0004

Yep that rocks!!!!!!!! I forgot to take pics, as usual..........
Back to top Go down
Triple J

Triple J

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 5:35 am

Thanks guys. Will make it much easier going in with a little knowledge
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 7:26 pm

I cannot seem to find a 1-13/16th socket for my impact. What does everyone else use?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 8:27 pm

Just going off memory here but I think its a 22mm. And I did it the same way RIdepate did
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 8:41 pm

yes its a 22mm.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 9:55 pm

I just popped mine loose with a punch. It only takes a 1/4 turn. When you do the rim-press, then it will be finger-off, finger-on, then re-punch back to your Sharpie-mark.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 10:06 pm

I tried an old trailer rim, but the hole is too big. I don't have my Rhino stockers here. I called a buddy and he told me to swing it by the motor pool in the morning. With any luck it will be a quick swap of the spring and I can throw it all back together tomorrow night when I get off work.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing Secondary spring   Changing Secondary spring Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing Secondary spring
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: