SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

front end noise on 2008 RZR

Go down 
+13
DirtDawber
ridepate
S
sstandefer
Big-R
AIRBORNE
ChrisC
roadiestar
wvyankee2
GunRunner
bush
tim
Showtime
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Showtime

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-02-10

front end noise on 2008 RZR Empty
PostSubject: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Has anyone had any front end noise issues?
My 2008 RZR has 558 miles on it and something in the front end is making a binding type noise. It kind of sounds like a car when it needs a CV joint replaced, but its not really a clicking noise, its more of a binding sound. It does not necessarly get worse when turning sharp, just turning. I have put it up in the air and carefully checked for loose parts, torn boots, etc. and found nothing. I have greased everything two times in 500 miles and just replaced ALL FLUIDS. Could the bearings inside the boot just be dry or could the wheel bearings need repacking???? Any help or suggestions would be great. I can usually fix my oun stuff, I just dont want to start throwing parts at this in hopes of finding the problem.
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:37 am

I remember reading something on this a while back. I might have read it on the rzrfourms.net but can't remmber. You might chck there.

Tim
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:05 am

mine makes a poping/clicking noise when i back up and turn and hit the brakes. everything is tight that i can find. i think its just the u-joints in the drive shaft. scratch

check the tierod ends. i done replaced both of mine, they made a clicking noise also. i also just replaced the front brake pads and on the drivers front the mount for the caliper was bent and making the pads rub all the time and that was clicking also. No dang popo Shocked
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:56 am

its the brake pads, you can adjust the Allen head screw that takes up the slack on the outer pad.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 2:01 pm

GunRunner wrote:
its the brake pads, you can adjust the Allen head screw that takes up the slack on the outer pad.

Slack...........in your brake Pads? Shocked affraid lol!
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:07 pm

Make sure the front hubs are tight ,my friends was doing the samething and the hub busted.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:19 pm

GunRunner wrote:

thanks gunny, i was wondering what that screw was for.

and now thinking about how and when mine makes the pop it makes sense that its slack in the pads and they get in a bind. i will tighten the screw up and see what it does. cheers
Back to top Go down
Showtime

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks everyone, I will check everything suggested and let you know what I find. Where exactly is this allen head? Thrill seeker got the same advise from Gunny for his and he said it helped, but when we had mine up in the air he could not identify the allen on mine. Are the brakes the same on the 08 and 09 S ? I can't imagine there would be a difference. I will put it up again and remove the wheels and look closer. cool study
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 pm

the allen bolt is on the caliper and only adjusts the outer pad closest to the wheel.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 10:23 pm

i turned the allen bolt in 2 turns. will see if i still have the noise tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 am

I also heard after so many miles.
you need to take the front hub nut off,
and flip the washer over cause it gets concaved.
and lets the hub get loose.
thay talk about it over at the RZR forum alot... Wink
Back to top Go down
Showtime

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 7:34 am

Thanks for that info Chris. When I first got the RZR after about 10 hrs. it startrd a different type of clicking on the left side only during a sharp turn. The dealer said they did know of that and installed an additional washer (had a factory part #) in the location you described. This solved the problem, so I just ordered one for the right side and put it on to see if it would help. IT DID NOT. I will pull the hub and check the bearings. I think Gunny has it right with the break pads, so will try that before pulling the hub. Hopefully this weekend. I wish I rode this thing as much as I work on it!! Motorcycles seem to require less attention. Also, I have no type of lift and am getting to old to lay on the hard garage floor to work on this thing. Would be a more enjoyable project with a lift. Anybody out there use a lift they like? How much, what brand and where did you get it.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:55 am

its just the brake pads, as they ware the outside one needs to be tightned up a little to take out the slack.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Showtime wrote:
Thanks for that info Chris. When I first got the RZR after about 10 hrs. it startrd a different type of clicking on the left side only during a sharp turn. The dealer said they did know of that and installed an additional washer (had a factory part #) in the location you described. This solved the problem, so I just ordered one for the right side and put it on to see if it would help. IT DID NOT. I will pull the hub and check the bearings. I think Gunny has it right with the break pads, so will try that before pulling the hub. Hopefully this weekend. I wish I rode this thing as much as I work on it!! Motorcycles seem to require less attention. Also, I have no type of lift and am getting to old to lay on the hard garage floor to work on this thing. Would be a more enjoyable project with a lift. Anybody out there use a lift they like? How much, what brand and where did you get it.

Exactly why I am still unsure of buying a RZR! I have had so many friends with Polaris and they always seem to have more issues than anything else out there. That is not bashing......just stating what I have seen in my years of riding. That is one awesome machine out on the trails though!
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:42 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
Showtime wrote:

Exactly why I am still unsure of buying a RZR! I have had so many friends with Polaris and they always seem to have more issues than anything else out there. That is not bashing......just stating what I have seen in my years of riding. That is one awesome machine out on the trails though!

LT
i was the same way. all the polaris's i had owned and rode with always had something wrong with them.
i was in the market for a new 700 rhino untill i rode in the rzr. so i just had to give the rzr a try.
my rzr has 1100+ miles in under 5 months and the only trouble i have had was that the tierod ends wore out at around 900 miles. but my lift had a little to do with that. i also replaced the front brake pads at 1000 miles but no big deal there. and right now i have a seal in front diff that is leaking.
IMO the rhino is built a little better but is no where near as fun to ride on the trails.
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 1:34 am

Thats pretty good Bush.
cause you could tear up a battle ship
with a tooth pick..... roflmao
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:45 am

bush wrote:

IMO the rhino is built a little better but is no where near as fun to ride on the trails.

I would have to agree with you here bush. I too do not think the RZR is built as good as a rhino. However, it is the best trail machine on the market.
Back to top Go down
sstandefer
SSXSRider Member
sstandefer

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2008-12-08

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:58 am

I have same problem a clicking kind of sound never noticed until installed 2" lift kit. Took it back to dealer they tore into both hubs found no problems noted in my warranty file and said if it gets worse bring it back. I also bought extended warranty. So far no more issues only time I notice sound is turning
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 am

To be honest, ive heard of many more rhino problems than rzr ones, both bigr and bush had total failure of the drive systems, the first rzrs had dust issues but that was a bad design and not bad mechanical parts. Ive read many forums and read of many falures , axels, frame gussetts, cooling issues and so on that i think its clear, no one machine is better than the other, they all have issues from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 pm

GunRunner wrote:
To be honest, ive heard of many more rhino problems than rzr ones, both bigr and bush had total failure of the drive systems, .......

It was not a total failure of the drive system. It was a broken middle drive shaft. It was a bad break but fixed fairly easy.

The RZR has not been out long enough to know the full extent of its durability. The Rhino has been out since 04. There has been big improvements made along the way. The RZR started with engine rebuilds. IMO that is not a good start. I am not bashing just pointing out facts. Moreover, if po po can prove their reliability to me I will buy one (I mean my wife will buy one).

I know a Rhino is a tough machine and I still break things on it. I am not sure just yet if the RZR can take my abuse. bush, DoddS and WV Rider will be a good test for the RZR.
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

BigR's wife really wants a RZRS Eat
Don't blame her, mine does too hide
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:24 pm

My wife would settle for the RZR LE I test drove today.......
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Black or Red? I got too get mine for a test drive. LE's are alot cheaper.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Big-R wrote:

It was not a total failure of the drive system. It was a broken middle drive shaft. It was a bad break but fixed fairly easy.

roflmao If it stops moving in any direction and it has to be towed out, what do you call it then??? It totally failed to drive did it not thatsright lol!

Big-R wrote:

Moreover, if po po can prove their reliability to me I will buy one (I mean my wife will buy one).

Maybe she can get the pregnant ladies discount roflmao Funny how a lot of rhino boyz all of a sudden have wifes that want a RZR, front end noise on 2008 RZR 13435
Back to top Go down
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR EmptyFri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Maybe she can get the pregnant ladies discount Funny how a lot of rhino boyz all of a sudden have wifes that want a RZR,

PostSubject: Re: front end noise on 2008 RZR   front end noise on 2008 RZR Empty

Back to top Go down

front end noise on 2008 RZR
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next