SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trailer Decking Upkeep

Go down 
+5
mudbug59
shawnley1222
2Slow4U
wvyankee2
DirtDawber
9 posters
AuthorMessage
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Trailer Decking Upkeep Empty
PostSubject: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 7:34 pm

I blasted the crud off the Rhino yesterday and then hit the trailer. Pressure washed the thing top and bottom, front and back. The wood deck, although having some nice cracks, still looks really good and solid after 3 years of Sun. I decided I'd better start coating it with something yearly, or replace the stuff before it's time.

I started checking out reviews on water sealers/proofers and as usual, they are all the best and are all the worst.

So, I turn to the Southern SxS Riders again for words of wisdom on what trailer decking weather proofer to use.

hail Help
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:24 pm

Thompsons Water sealer. There are others just as good though.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 8:26 pm

The basic dilemma you face is that any sealant you put on it will make it slicker than owl grease when it's wet...

If you want to be cheap, just brush it with used motor oil and let it soak in. It'll last longer than Thompsons and cost ya nothing... just may not look as good.

Redneck 101 -- but it also wouldn't show any oil stains that might get on it... thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 9:08 pm

I think mine is BEHR stainer/sealent looks purrty and does the trick usually do it once or so a year to keep it in tip top dont want my rhino falling through my trailer at 70mph affraid because of a little pot hole in the road
Back to top Go down
mudbug59

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 9:38 am

I spray my trailer with dieselfuel,and the floor has been in it for about 8 years now and it,s still solid.it,s a whole lot cheaper than water seal and it does work....
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 am

mudbug59 wrote:
I spray my trailer with dieselfuel,and the floor has been in it for about 8 years now and it,s still solid.it,s a whole lot cheaper than water seal and it does work....
Yep -- basically anything that will repel water will work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
Big Ed
SSXSRider Member
Big Ed

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 am

as mentioned, save your $ and use your old motor oil and some diesel fuel. I have a small trailer that came with a 3/4" plywood floor in it. It was used when I bought it 5 years ago and the floor is still nice and solid. I brush my old motor oil on it and it has done great. Once it soaks in after 1 or 2 days, it's not slick at all.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyTue Jun 16, 2009 5:11 pm

mix up diesel and tranny fluid for a western cedar look, and it also keeps the critters out. but beware you better have a 4 point tie down system or the buggy will slide in wet bumpy weather/roads
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 12:23 pm

I thank you all for the great suggestions !!!! allright
However, it looks like it is not going to stop raining long enough to try any of the solutions any time soon. Mad

Maybe this Fall.......... Trailer Decking Upkeep 13435
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyWed Jun 17, 2009 9:21 pm

What you need to do, is go back to Windrock and get some of that STINKING ARSE mud they have on some of the trails. That stuff is tuff stuff. Would form a protective coating on the wood.... or eat it one..... Hmmmm.....
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyThu Jun 18, 2009 11:06 am

ClayW wrote:
What you need to do, is go back to Windrock and get some of that STINKING ARSE mud they have on some of the trails. That stuff is tuff stuff. Would form a protective coating on the wood.... or eat it one..... Hmmmm.....

Your trailer could grow another wheel too. I do believe that mud-water has been there scene the beginning of time...
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:12 pm

I meant to post this this morning, but my CRS was active. affraid

Anyway, I went the "diesel fuel / motor oil mix" route. 3 qts. of fuel and 1 qt. of new 5w20, an odd bottle that had been sitting around the garage for 8 years. I sprayed it on this past Sat. (06-20-09) and after these few days of soaking in the sun and one of rain, the wood looks nice and does not feel slick. I can say that the wood was very thirsty! I sprayed the whole gallon of the mix on the 6' x 12' deck.

Thanks again for this suggestion. Less than $3 was a good price for the treatment! allright
Back to top Go down
Big Ed
SSXSRider Member
Big Ed

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep EmptyFri Jun 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Glad it worked out for you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trailer Decking Upkeep   Trailer Decking Upkeep Empty

Back to top Go down

Trailer Decking Upkeep
Page 1 of 1