SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Locking rhino on open trailer

Go down 
+11
moto92
ridepate
RedNeckRanger
ChrisC
rhinomikey
GunRunner
AIRBORNE
DirtDawber
Woodtick
2Slow4U
martman100
15 posters
AuthorMessage
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-24

Locking rhino on open trailer Empty
PostSubject: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 12:30 pm

Guys/Gals I have searched on about every keyword I can think of in regards to how you all lock/chain your sxs's to your trailers when staying at a hotel. Me, my wife and son are going on our first ride where we are staying in a hotel. We usually stay in a cabin or something that we can keep an easy eye and ear on them.

My gear is fully insured but I don't want to deal with the loss if at all possible.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 12:41 pm

I use one of those bicycle cables that you put your own lock on... you can loop it around anything handy, then onto a siderail of the trailer. The cable has a vinyl cover so it doesn't scratch things up like a chain would, though a chain migh be a bit more secure. I can't remember the brand of the cable, but it's a bikeshop high-quality one, not Harbor Freight Chinese, so hopefully it'd be a bit harder to cut...

I also try to park in a lighted area that's visible -- not back in dark corners of the parking lot -- or in busier areas...

Not going to stop a thief, but should make an honest man go on about his business... I try to make sure the cable and lock are very visible -- trying to discourage them, not really stop them.

My concern is not so much the Rhino -- but an experienced thief could steal my stereo in about 10 seconds...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
martman100
SSXSRider Member
martman100

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:02 pm

I have removed my cheapo stereo any way. But my Crowe harnesses may be a target. I am going to get a tarp to cover it with to help with prying eyes but like you said nothing stops them if they really want it.
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Like Kent, I got a vinyl coated steel cable, thickest I could get at Lowe's and the biggest Master pad lock they had and hope for the best. Careful parking also helps. Back the trailer up against something where they couldn't just roll it off even if they defeat your lock and cable.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:18 pm

Here's a dandy little tip for locking a trailer gate.

CLICK ME !!
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:27 pm

DirtDawber wrote:
Here's a dandy little tip for locking a trailer gate.

CLICK ME !!

My problem is that I don't use the trailer gates. Mine is a 7K trailer and came with HEAVY gates -- 2"x3" channel, and three runs of that on each half of the gate. It's too heavy to take off and on by myself -- and it catches air almost as bad as an umbrella in a windstorm... They cost me about 2-3mpg and make it a challenge to tow over 50MPH.

So, I took them off and use a pair of aluminum ramps for normal trips...
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 1:31 pm

Chain it up......have someone back in against the rear of your trailer. Park on the right side of the Grand Vista. It is well-lit and the cops roll thru there at least twice a night. Try to get a room with a view of the right side. I was concerned my first couple of times down there, but they say they have not had any theft there. I had my tailgate down overnight with helmet, gas cans, tool box.....all was still there in the morning.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 2:06 pm

Cable run thru wheels and around the trailer rails, if your still worried, buy a cheap car alarm and put on it, if anybody bothers it at a motel they wont stick around when it goes off.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
rhinomikey

rhinomikey

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 6:38 pm

I went to the local hardware store and bought a few lengths of heavy guage chain. I lock up at least two or three wheels to the side rails of the trailer and then lock the front of the rhino to the front of the trailer with another chain. I also lock the safety chains to my truck and use a trailer hitch lock on my hitch and my rear gate of my trailer.

I figure if the thief sees all those locks to have to cut thru he will move on to an easier target. I have also been known to take the ingnition fuse out of the fuse block of my truck just in case they try to steal the whole rig!

I want to make it as difficult as I can for them!

One more thing, if you do like I have done with multiple locks you will want to get keyed alike padlocks, it is so much easier to unlock all of them...
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 8:48 pm

5/8 chain and a master lock..... allright
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 9:26 pm

find u some hardened american padlocks.master padlocks r for honest people.large hardened american locks can not be picked or cut with bolt cutters.
mickey s idea on the fuse in the truck is a real good idea.if it were me i would go after the truck first if i saw alot of obsticals on the ride.i could have most trucks cranked and rolling in about 60 sec s
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Me ,fuel-Pump fuse on the truck. Long-shank lock thru the disc on the rear. Braded threads on the ball and latch lock.
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyMon Jul 27, 2009 11:36 pm

i keep one of these on the brake when its in the garage.
it sildes over the rotor and the pin goes through one of the holes

Locking rhino on open trailer 998686

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1003&pid=1153
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 am

Locking rhino on open trailer 4198

$29.99 SALE

Currently selling like crazy on TV under the name "Drive Way Alert", this great 2 piece product will alert you if a car or person passes by the transmitter. Simply place the transmitter near the entrance to your driveway, anything passing by the transmitter will cause the receiver to sound a pleasant chime. The transmitter can also be placed by the front door to alert you if small children (or big children at night!) try to leave the house. Business owners can place the unit by the front door and be alerted when customers enter the store while working in the back. The drive way alert installs in seconds just place the transmitter outside and the receiver inside. The drive way alert uses wireless technology so the transmitter can be placed up to 150 feet away (line of sight) from the receiver. The transmitter uses Passive Infra-Red (PIR) to detect motion. The transmitter measures 4 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches. The receiver measures 4 11/16 inches x 3 1/2 inches x 1 1/2 inches. The transmitter requires 1 - 9 volt battery that is NOT included. The receiver requires either 3 - C batteries that are NOT included or a 4.5 volt adapter that is NOT included. Simple installation. 150 ft. recommended maximum line-of-sight wireless transmission distance between sensor and receiver (approx. 75' to 125' wireless range through 1 outside wall).

Specifications

Transmission Distance (LOS):
~400' (Mfg. Specified)

Recommended Max Distance (LOS):
150'
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 am

rob, my mom has a similar setup on her driveway she is 1000 ft from road to house and people were stopping just inside the drive where you couldnt see them and sneaking around . hers cost more than that but works great at that distance. to lock the rhino up on trips i do same thing most guys said cable lock ,trailer tongue lock ,reciever lock, and a couple of pistols if i catch them
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 am

moto92 wrote:
i keep one of these on the brake when its in the garage.
it sildes over the rotor and the pin goes through one of the holes

Locking rhino on open trailer 998686

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1000&scid=1003&pid=1153

Great link Moto92!!!!!! Thanks
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 10:07 am

I have been very lucky not taking any precautions. but last year after Nick getting his truck hit in the front parking lot of a well lit nice hotel I had second thoughts. Just bought a E350 van so everything in the Van, and plan on getting a toyhauler or enclosed trailer when I get home. Plan some longer trips next year and want to be able to stop with out worries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Locking rhino on open trailer   Locking rhino on open trailer Empty

Back to top Go down

Locking rhino on open trailer
Page 1 of 1