SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH

Go down 
+4
Big-R
cajuncoot
DirtDawber
2Slow4U
8 posters
AuthorMessage
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

Number of posts : 1657
Registration date : 2009-05-18

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH Empty
PostSubject: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 6:21 am

Each year, the ATV clubs from NH, VT and MA (perhaps more) each climb Mt. Washington NH on a Sunday. Last weekend MA did it, yesterday VT did it.

Here's a couple of videos -- I have quite a bit more that I'm still putzing with.

First, a short of hand-held clips taken on the way up -- most of the time was focused on driving.

Then a much longer one from my hard-mount (using a RAM mount) following a nice 2007 Rhino 660 down to about timberline.

Heres' some pics from the top. Not a real nice day, but it sure could've been worse. It was reported to be 49 degrees and the wind gusting up to 57 mph. It was blowing so hard that it was very difficult to hold the camera steady. Thougt some of you mignt enjoy, since it is a trip you may never get a chance to do...

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783110369_dff49ce271_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783110651_3beca280cd_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783920430_eb162fa6da_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783111065_ab5dea1137_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783921330_29fac01753_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783921562_8e13742552_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783921790_e0bc9fbf02_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783922022_797db2a2a0_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783112545_2f34e87221_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783112813_7589671c40_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783922700_e08c4a59fb_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783113321_410be561f9_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783116121_b4586738ca_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783114779_710082d97c_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783928450_edbc114f29_b

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH 3783119879_539f74b960_b
Back to top Go down
http://www.simpletractors.com
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 am

GOOD STUFF Kent !! clap humper
Looks like around here, just higher and without trees! :D :D
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am

great pics 49 degrees and 57 mph wind makes chilly day !!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm

Very nice pics Kent. One of these days.....
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 3:44 pm

allright
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyMon Aug 03, 2009 5:26 pm

great video and pics Kent !
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:02 am

DirtDawber wrote:
GOOD STUFF Kent !! clap humper
Looks like around here, just higher and without trees! :D :D

Thanks guys for all the kind words -- glad you enjoyed them. Here's another one you might enjoy -- climbing the mountain a second time, but this time with the camera "hard-mounted" on the RAM mount on the left A-pillar, just above the dashboard. I was pleased at how well this 25HP, 421cc climbed the mountain. Never bogged down, nor did the temp gauge ever move far above 180...

Speaking of being like the Southern Appalachians... I was on top, heading back down to to Rhino to trade my windbreaker for a REAL coat, when I heard someone yell "How 'bout them Vols..." A guy and his wife, having seen my hat, come overa and introduce themselves and we chat for a few minutes. Come to find out they're from Oneida, and were up in New Hampshire on vacation in their camper. They paid to ride a van to the top...

But, we got to talking about how different these mountains look, yet they're about the same size as the Smokies -- Mt Washington, at 6200 ft, is about the same height as Clingman's Dome (6600). They said they'd just been to Clingman's Dome about a month ago, at the end of June...

Because it is so far north, in comparison, Mt Washington has about 2.000 - 2,500 feet ABOVE timberline, while none of the Smokies nor Mt. Mitchell even reach timberline. The eco-climate (trees, plants, etc.) at the top of Clingman's Dome is what you find at about 3500 feet up Mt. Washington, slightly more than half-way...

In comparison, timberline in the central Rockies of Colorado runs about 10.000 to 10,200 feet -- so Mt. Washington would compare pretty well (except for the air not being as thin) as a 12,000 - 12,500 ft mountain in the Rockies. So, they're not exatly trivial. It would compare well with the peaks in the Sierra Nevadas in climate, for example.

However, in appearance, these mountains remind me of the Uintas of Utah, which run East to West (one of two chains in the US that does that). Instead of having huge barren granite cliffs and rockfaces, the weather has crumbled the granite and basalt at the peaks into a big round pile of boulders. They appear gentler and more inviting, instead of barren and unforgiving....

Last edited by KentT on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 6:06 am

They have an holiday inn express ????
Great report, I absolutely love going to different areas of the USA to experience the atmosphere you might say. Wanting to go back to Gettysburgh this fall and try some of the local fairs or festivals.
Back to top Go down
2Slow4U
SSXSRider Member
2Slow4U

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 7:03 am

Rhino Rob wrote:
They have an holiday inn express ????
Great report, I absolutely love going to different areas of the USA to experience the atmosphere you might say. Wanting to go back to Gettysburgh this fall and try some of the local fairs or festivals.

Sorry -- I get carried away... lol!

I've just lived and hiked/camped in the mountains in many parts of the country...
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyTue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 pm

heck dont be sorry, i am just envious !
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptyWed Aug 05, 2009 12:39 am

Absolutely beautiful Kent....that certainly looks like a prime fossil hunting area.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Very nice pics Kent. clap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH   Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH Empty

Back to top Go down

Some pics and vids from climbing Mt. Washington, NH
Page 1 of 1