SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Who wants FRS, GMRS radios

Go down 
+11
wvyankee2
Smith700
Last Chance Rhino
Foxfire
concours_greg
Neuromax
blu-knight
Rhino Rob
highlander
DoddS
Big-R
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios Empty
PostSubject: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Okay guys, I have emailed the person that sales these radios. I will be talking to him soon and I want to know how many of you guys want one.

He sales kenwood radios programed with FRS and GMRS radios channels. The kit comes with ant, mic, bracket, wiring and mounts.

The list:
Big-R
Rhino Rob (+2)
Highlander (+2)
LT
Crossdaddy
Foxfire
blu-knight

Anyone that wants one and not on the list let me know.

Last edited by Big-R on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DoddS
SSXSRider Member
DoddS

Number of posts : 684
Registration date : 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 pm

How much?
Back to top Go down
highlander
SSXSRider Member
highlander

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Aug 10, 2009 11:22 pm

I will probally take 2 if price is right
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:03 am

I will be in for 2 as well. Ronnie check and see if one can be AC supplied for the base unit at the farm, if not i can make it work another way
Back to top Go down
blu-knight
SSXSRider Member
blu-knight

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 6:05 am

I would like to have one as well. I need to talk to Oledragon because he may want one to. I will get back to you
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Aug 11, 2009 9:50 am

DoddS wrote:
How much?

Dodd,

The regular price is $200. However, I think we can get a better price with a larger order.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Anyone else???? I just talked to the man. He is trying to find some radios. I need a count!
Back to top Go down
Neuromax
SSXSRider Member
Neuromax

Number of posts : 435
Registration date : 2008-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 1:02 pm

I already have one so I don't need to get on the list but I wanted to put in here that these radio set ups work GREAT, you can't compare them to the handhelds, these blow them away!
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 4:57 pm

i was wondering if you were going to call me back today...... and hip hip hooray,
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 10:18 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
i was wondering if you were going to call me back today...... and hip hip hooray,

Rob I talked to the guy but never got a definite answer. He was suppose to call me back and never did. Therefore, I forgot to call you. He said that he will need half the money down before he can start fixing them up.
Back to top Go down
blu-knight
SSXSRider Member
blu-knight

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:07 pm

Hey big R is this a sure thing or are you still working on the deal? If so where do we send payment and in what form? cash, check, credit, or what? Thanks
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 9:29 am

blu-knight wrote:
Hey big R is this a sure thing or are you still working on the deal? If so where do we send payment and in what form? cash, check, credit, or what? Thanks

It is not a sure thing just yet. I know he is working on getting enough for all of us. The price is $200 and that includes shipping. I will call him again on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2008-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Just go with the Uniden Solara FM/SW Marine radio. 25 watts and completely submersible. They only run marine radios out west, because of the range. I can get them for $99 each. Just a thought - not trying to step on any toes.

Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios SOLARA%20DSC-BK
Back to top Go down
http://www.teamconcours.com
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am

$ 99.00 each.....don't think that can be beat Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 10:36 am

Foxfire wrote:
$ 99.00 each.....don't think that can be beat Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Yeah but it is not FRS, GMRS radios.
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Big-R wrote:
Foxfire wrote:

Yeah but it is not FRS, GMRS radios.

Your right - it's not FRS!

I operates on a higher frequency, but that's why it has a 50 mile range on land.

Let me also state that this is my cost on the radio's - I ain't trying to make any money on these things. I used on with a group of guys once and I must say it is the coolest thing I have used on a trail ride. We had one guy break down that was about a mile away and it led us right to him.

The COOLEST thing and I mean COOL is that it hooks up to Unidens $249 GPS system and it can beam your location to others in the area. It has a distress button on it that will automatically send your location over all frequencies if you need help. Anybody else who has the same setup can also see your location, so on a group ride, if everybody has one of these things, everybody will know where everybody else is.

They also are waterproof.

Like I said Ronnie - I ain't trying to step on toes. The FRS stuff works, but it just doesn't have the range and features of these types of radios. Just another option.

From their website:
DIGITAL SELECTIVE CALLING (DSC)
This service will let you instantly send a Distress call with GPS position
(when optional GPS receiver is connected to the SOLARA DSC) to the
US Coast Guard and other vessels within range of the transmission.
DSC will also let you initiate or receive distress, urgency, safety, position
information and routine calls to or from another vessel outfitted with a
DSC transceiver.

Affordable

All Channel Scan

All USA/International and Canadian Marine Channels - Covers all USA, International & Canadian marine channels keeping you up-to-date with all the latest marine activity.

DSC capability including distress and individual calling

Submersible - Meets the JIS7 Standards (1 meter for 30 minutes)

Unique rubber grip design on the microphone

NOAA Weather Channels

Large backlit display for enhanced night vision

3 Year Water Protection Warranty
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Here's the handheld version. It has GPS built in, but only has 5 watts. As long as your pretty close to each other you shouldn't have any reception problems.

Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios MYSTIC
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 12:23 am

You are probably right Greg But most everyone in the woods have FRS, GMRS. I am willing to try other things but it will not do me any good if I am the only one with FRS.
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 12:26 am

I got em both just in case!
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 am

concours_greg wrote:

do you carry two different radios???
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 10:02 am

Big-R wrote:
concours_greg wrote:

do you carry two different radios???

I have the permanent mount VHF and I carry a portable FRS If I need to. I always have the VHF on because it has the weather alert station that automatically comes on if there is a weather advisory. I've only had it go off once while we were riding and it saved us from getting stuck in a pretty big storm.
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 pm

frs for me, i want to be able to talk to my hunting buds as well
Back to top Go down
Last Chance Rhino
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 am

It makes no difference to me and everyone do what you want to do in regard to two-way radios, but after being in the radio business for about 40 years I can tell you that the FCC and Coast Guard do not take kindly to marine radios on ATVs or vehicles. No need for flames as this is just for info and is my last word on the subject. Sid.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:53 am

Sid, glad to hear from you buddy. I hope all is well.

Last Chance Rhino wrote:
It makes no difference to me and everyone do what you want to do in regard to two-way radios, but after being in the radio business for about 40 years I can tell you that the FCC and Coast Guard do not take kindly to marine radios on ATVs or vehicles. No need for flames as this is just for info and is my last word on the subject. Sid.

Last edited by Big-R on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
concours_greg
SSXSRider Member
concours_greg

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 11:43 am

Last Chance Rhino wrote:

I'm not using the marine channels!

You should know that all off road racing events and sanctioning bodies use VHF 134-174 MHZ band. This is also the frequency range of the marine channels.

I just use a marine radio because it is waterproof. I ain't talking on the boat channels.

CORR
MAORA
CODE
FUD
M.O.R.E
MDR
SCORE
VORRA, etc, etc, etc....

All use these frequencies. I'm sure if the FCC had a problem with it then they would have said so. Plus many legit businesses sell these radios.

www.ruggedradios.com
www.pciraceradios.com

www.avcomm.com
www.procommradios.com

Now in all fairness you do need an FCC license to operate on land. You also need a license to operate the GMRS radios too! How many of you have your license?

Below is the form you need to fill out to do it legally. It is the form to operate on a restricted frequency, also known as a SE or ship exemption form.

http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605main.pdf

You also need to fill out this schedule.
http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605g.pdf

If you lived out west, and I know we don't, this discussion wouldn't even happen. VHF radios are the only ones used.

Like I said people over here still use FRS because we just don't get that far from each other - the woods ain't the dunes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who wants FRS, GMRS radios   Who wants  FRS, GMRS radios Empty

Back to top Go down

Who wants FRS, GMRS radios
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next