SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Anyone have flags flying on their property?

Go down 
+2
SFC Retired
DirtDawber
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

Anyone have flags flying on their property? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 9:40 am

I purchased a couple recently (USA & KY) and want ideas on where and how to display them.
Pics of yours? Anyone?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
SFC Retired

SFC Retired

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2009-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 am

I have an American flag but I had to take it down because it kept bending the bracket because of the wind on top of this Mountain. Obviously it is best if you have a ground planted pole. Just remember the American flag is always higher than other flags, so if you put them on the same pole, the US flag is on top. I'm not sure what the protocol is for having 2 flag poles or Brackets. I'm not sure if one is supposed to be right or what. Not sure what the specifics are. You could probably Google or Bing US Flag protocol, and it would give you some answers.

old glory
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 10:28 am

old glory flying on top of my backyard swing allright
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2008-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 5:36 pm

It is to be lighted after dark, or taken down at sundown. A lot of folks DON'T do this.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Tick, I had not thought about the 'lighted thing' (but will now) and due to the fact that originally I had planned to have a 20' pole placed outside of our fence (non dog protected *) where anyone could just take the flag down, I was gonna just attach it / them with metal rings and leave it / them up all the time.
* Yeah I know, we have little dogs but they can wake up the dead when they sound their intruder alert barks. humper

I have since gotten one more flag and decided to attach them to the front columns on our porch with wall mount poles.
I do need to know which flag should go on which column tho'. I've done some searching and really did not get an answer. Does anyone know for sure?

Anyone have flags flying on their property? Porch10
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 7:09 pm

DD, i think the american flag will be in the #2 spot.

i googled and found this info, rule #10 is what applies here i think.
either way that link told me alot of stuff i never knew

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

Last edited by moto92 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 7:13 pm

woodtick, i looked on the frequently asked questions and found this...

I fly my flag at home 24 hours a day. What does "properly illuminated" mean?

Section 6a: "It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness."

The Flag Code offers no additional guidance on this question. We interpret this to mean that there should be either a light directly upon the flag or that there be sufficient local lighting to make the flag easily visible at night.

If you cannot "properly illuminate" your flag, we recommend that you retire it at sunset, as the Flag Rules specify.

The American Legion defines proper illumination as a "light specifically placed to illuminate the flag (preferred) or having a light source sufficient to illuminate the flag so it is recognizable as such by the casual observer."
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Moto, most of the folks around home that fly their flag after dark have a flood light bulb aimed at the flag. Seems to be more than enough and I think they look right nice with the light shinning on them. I knew there was a lighting requirement, but wasn't sure just how it was worded. Thanks man.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Great infos guys !!!!! Looks like I'll be buying some 'lite'em up stuff ' then. old glory
Back to top Go down
Woodtick
SSXSRider Member
Woodtick

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyWed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 pm

One last note DD. When flown with other flags, the others should be mounted, or flown just a tad lower. No flag shall ever be flown above our American Flag. Actually I don't think they are to be flown at equal hight either, but please check on that one.
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Thanks again Tick! allright
Back to top Go down
cajuncoot
SSXSRider Member
cajuncoot

Number of posts : 3773
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? EmptyThu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm

dawber check out www.usflag .org
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone have flags flying on their property?   Anyone have flags flying on their property? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone have flags flying on their property?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: Other BS-
Jump to: