SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RZR vs. RZR-s

Go down 
+11
kevinm
Smith700
nocerisdave
RMEF Lifer
Big Ed
GunRunner
DirtDawber
Showtime
ChrisC
AIRBORNE
rubicon05
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rubicon05

rubicon05

Number of posts : 396
Registration date : 2008-01-31

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:30 pm

sold the Rhino about 4-5 months ago, ended up buying another quad(new Rincon), just much more fun cause all my buddies all have quads, but Having said that i miss having a SxS and i'm thinking about buying a RZR in the near future......so this one is for all your RZR and RZR-S owners......especially Gunny..since you've had both..

is the S worth the extra 3-4K? what do you like better about each one. I want to hear some feedback...good and bad and alot of it before i make th purchase.....i've been reading a bunch but want some honest opinions from a few guys i trust here.....

so you know, i'm leaning towards the regular RZR just for the riding i do mostly....most my trails here around home are tight 4wheeler trails and i'm not sure i can get away with a 60" wheelbase very easily........
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:37 pm

I have not owned both, but have ridden both. No comparison, IMO. The S is quicker and articulates great. The only advantage to the stock RZR or LE is the width on tight trails. Of course this is only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 9:58 pm

LT said it right.
I drove both. The S is the way to go.... allright
Back to top Go down
Showtime

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2009-02-10

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I have a regular RZR and ride with thrillseeker or crazy Larry as some of you know him. I know the #' show the S to have more top speed, but we both need to be wound out to really notice it. The S does seem quicker, but when we flat out drag race, whoever gets the jump more or less holds the position till we get near 50 mph. It is by no means a flat out ass kicking. I think the tork curve is slighyly different and that is what you feel on the S. Now suspension is a whole other story, and the ONLY reason I wish I had the S. Now if I was riding the dunes and catching air there would be no question, also in the fast bumpy woods Larry can pull away easily. I always feel I am destroying my machine at high speeds over the rocks in the woods and need to back off. I am in the process of trying to inprove my suspension and will probably go with the progressive 425 shocks with heavy springs up front only for about $600. Cant find any RZR guys with these shocks but the RINO guys seem to feel they are an improvement. If you do go with an LE, or less,I think a tire and wheel upgrade would be a good idea before your first ride. I purchased Gunnys old set up with Bighorns and bigger wheels giving me a 53" front and 58" rear and that is NIGHT AND DAY difference, Gunny really did his homework in choosing this combo. If I did not buy an S, I would run this wheel and tire set up on my new machine again for sure. In closing I would like to say that if money was no object, and I knew I would always be on the marked trails, I would choose the S. However for the riding I actually end up doing, I want my machine as narrow as I can that still performes well. To me stock is too narrow and the S is too wide. Larry is a really good driver and I have seen him over the years drive everything from a moped to a tow truck pulling an 18 wheeler so he has the skill and can get his S just about anywhere. as long as he does not mind a little scraping and scratching. Just remember, it is a bit more work in the tight stuff.

Hope this helps, and just remember guys, before you get pissed off. (because someone will) It's JUST MY OPINION NOT THE WORDS OF god

Mike
Back to top Go down
DirtDawber
SSXSRider Member
DirtDawber

Number of posts : 4089
Registration date : 2009-02-24

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:35 pm

I have no horse in this race, but Showtime, that was a very good review! allright
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 10:36 pm

Good write-up Showtime!
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyMon Sep 14, 2009 11:12 pm

To tell the truth, I really liked my RZR, i did have it widened out to 56 rear 55.5 front and it handled good with the highlifter springs. The S seems to have a little more stability, and a little more peppy. Im finding out though the springs on both are not the best so you will probably end up changing them on either one you buy. They seem to get weak after a while. The S will ride smoother and articulate rough Trails better due to the wider a-arms. I can tell you a stock rzr is not what you want, at 50'' they are just too narrow to stay on all 4 wheels. So its not that big a price difference once you factor in, wheels, tires and spacers you will need to get the standard up to trail ready. I would buy the S if the trails you ride can handle 60'', if they cant then the rzr will be great with a few added extras. Both are good machines and except for top speed they are very close power wise.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big Ed
SSXSRider Member
Big Ed

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-11

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 am

Good write-up showtime. I ride the standard LE, that has been widened with offset wheels. It's not as wide as the S model, but the additional width made a big improvement in side stability and looks too. Makintrax is offering their progressive springs for around $400 and most people that have them say the ride is incredible. The S does ride better than the standard rzr, but that like Gunny said the stock S shocks can stand to be improved. If you go with the standard RZR, stick with a 25" Bighorn and seat of the pants performance feels as snappy as the S. The bigger tires suck up horsepower. Also, plan on buying a quality lift kit, especially on the standard as it sits lower than the S model. Most of the guys on here that have the S model have also lifted theirs or plan to lift in the future. Go with what you like, and can afford.
Back to top Go down
RMEF Lifer
SSXSRider Member
RMEF Lifer

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-22

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Hate to dig up a "dead thread", but I am fishing for any additions or refinements to this thread (hey, at least I didn't start a new one Smiles )

I am getting fairly close to pulling the trigger on a RZR ... got a little positive surprise from the tax man and will be able to move sooner than I thought. Struggling with the Std/LE vs. S thing. It is conceivable that I could end up in areas that the 60" width of an S might be an issue, but that is not a certainty.

From what I can gather, it appears that most feel that the S is worth the ~ $3 large in price difference given trails that are typically run in the Southeast.

Is this still the consensus?

Thanks,

Sam (a 'wanna be sxs driver)[b][i]
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Hell yeah. Clay convinced me to get the S vs the standard or LE. I don't regret it a bit.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 4:24 pm

I too was worried about the 60' width of the S before I bought one. My local stuff is very tight. There are some areas that my Rhino goes a hell of a lot quicker through, however the pluses of the power, stablity, the other 95% pf the time, far out weight having to slow in the tightest stuff. If you have tight stuff to ride, as I do, be prepared to beat up the rear flaps and fenders. If you are going to be worried about scratchs the S may not be the best option. The S, IMHO, is the best option out their today.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 6:14 pm

a guy in our ridin group has a 08 standard rzr it has 2" lift,2"spacers on all wheels,and 28"dirt devils.it seems to ride great when i have rode it with him.and we ride old 57 alot at wr and it handles great in the tight spaces,but he seems to turn it over alot.i have also rode the rzr-s,much better machine for JUST trail riding it seems a little peppier motor and it seems to climb rock shelfs due to i would think lower gearing,much better shocks than thhe standard.if it was me i would get the rzr-s even though it would be tight in the stuff we ride in.
Back to top Go down
kevinm
SSXSRider Member
kevinm

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-07-05

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 7:41 pm

IMO after you put on a set a wheels and maybe spacers you should be able to keep it on the wheels as much as anyone else can.
If you cant than maybe you are just running out of talent.

I am not saying that the s does not ride better or have a little more power, I am not saying that I can but a competent rider in a widend out LE can go anywhere he can in an s model.

Personally I would have loved to have an s model but I could not justify the extra money. For the difference between the two you could have a pretty sick LE that would be personalized with your own touches
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyWed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm

IMO, after having a RZR for 2 years and just getting an S. I don't regret the move. I have just had several new RZR and LE owners join the club. After they have rode some of the tougher places, they wished they would have bought the S. Like Big R told one of them recently, if it's paid for, widen and lift what you have. It is not worth taking a big loss to move up from a new RZR or LE to the S. But if you have not bought, look at what others have done, or wished they had done, before you decide.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:10 am

kevinm wrote:
IMO after you put on a set a wheels and maybe spacers you should be able to keep it on the wheels as much as anyone else can.
If you cant than maybe you are just running out of talent.

I am not saying that the s does not ride better or have a little more power, I am not saying that I can but a competent rider in a widend out LE can go anywhere he can in an s model.

Personally I would have loved to have an s model but I could not justify the extra money. For the difference between the two you could have a pretty sick LE that would be personalized with your own touches

I run out of talent all the time and the "S" has been there to catch me! So far So good and if I had to go get a new one in the morning,,,, It would be an "S"!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:37 am

Yep , i did it all over again , it would still be an S...... thatsright
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 1:39 am

i had right around 13000 in my le and it was very capable, more than a stock S. the S is a much better stock to stock but a standerd/LE can be just as capable with the right work done to it. the S is a better platform to start with and the ride and handling is much much better.

i am very happy with my S and if i was to do over i would still get an S!! if you can pay for the S get it, you will not regret it.
my S is starting to get close to having 15000 invested. affraid
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
kevinm
SSXSRider Member
kevinm

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-07-05

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 7:47 am

I am not tryng to nock anyones ride I am just saying that 2 or 3 inches difference between an s and an le is not much diff in keeping it on all foursi
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:18 am

bush wrote:

humper NoPoo
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:21 am

Airborne LT wrote:
bush wrote:

humper NoPoo

I am scared to even think what i have in it now.... affraid
Back to top Go down
RMEF Lifer
SSXSRider Member
RMEF Lifer

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-12-22

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks for the feedback. I feel a bit of "Madness" coming on. We'll see what I can do.

From Jeeping, I like low and wide (relatively speaking) with generous underbelly armor. Thinking that would be the way to go on a RZR as well ... but that's why I am here. To gather info ... and ride with y'all once I get a ride ...
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 8:57 am

RMEF Lifer wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I feel a bit of "Madness" coming on. We'll see what I can do.

From Jeeping, I like low and wide (relatively speaking) with generous underbelly armor. Thinking that would be the way to go on a RZR as well ... but that's why I am here. To gather info ... and ride with y'all once I get a ride ...

here is the progress on my madness. cheers

https://southernsxsriders.forumakers.com/polaris-rzr-and-ranger-f10/madness-t5149.htm

with armor

RZR vs. RZR-s 100_3221

RZR vs. RZR-s 100_3222
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 10:43 am

Skids are on my list too Bush! Looks good pal.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 11:09 am

All the guys who did their regular rzr up right know they will go anywhere a S will with the same agility, my 09 le was as trail capable as my S. It just takes spacers,wheels and a lift kit and youre ready. Here is my 09 fitted out with the right stuff.
RZR vs. RZR-s Rzr-s_10
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big Ed
SSXSRider Member
Big Ed

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2009-05-11

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s EmptyThu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

buy the "s" model, the economy needs all the help it can get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

RZR vs. RZR-s Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR vs. RZR-s   RZR vs. RZR-s Empty

Back to top Go down

RZR vs. RZR-s
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Polaris-
Jump to: