SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
The Lyin King

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-07-29

Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness Empty
PostSubject: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:56 am

U.S. House Subcommittee to Consider Banning Riding on 9.4 Million Acres

In a surprise move, the chairman of a U.S. House subcommittee has scheduled a hearing for next week on a proposal that would ban off-highway motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and bicycles from more than 9 million acres of public land in Utah.

The AMA is urging all riders to contact their U.S. representatives immediately to ask them to oppose the proposal, H.R. 1925, which is the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. Concerned riders can contact their federal lawmakers by going to the Issues and Legislation section of this website.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

While U.S. Rep. Raul Grijalva of Arizona, who is chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands, has yet to officially announce his intention to hold the hearing, the AMA has confirmed that H.R. 1925 will be considered on Thursday, Oct. 1.

Read more here . . . http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/story.asp?id=1344
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Two Minutes to Help Save 9.4 Million Acres of Public Land in Utah   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 1:07 pm

Please take two minutes to contact your Representative in the House, the AMA has made it very quick and simple via this link . . . Issues & legislation of interest to motorcyclists
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Done. allright This is a huge issue possibly affecting Moab. Greenies have been trying to shut that down for a long time.
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Thank you!   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 3:59 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Done. allright This is a huge issue possibly affecting Moab. Greenies have been trying to shut that down for a long time.

I wrote many letters and posted tons of stuff on forums to try and save Upper Tellico, my motto in this fight is "Know No Borders", thank you very much for helping out your fellow OHV users in the West!!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:02 pm

I've been to Moab.............and want to go back. Wink
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:

Done, I've never been, but would like the chance to go.
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Save Moab   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:

Right on!
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Save Moab!   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

ridepate wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

Done, I've never been, but would like the chance to go.

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 9:02 am

Done and foward to a few other folks. Thanks,
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:03 pm

misterp wrote:
Done and foward to a few other folks. Thanks,

Thank YOU!
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Let Your Voice be Heard   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Tomorrow (Oct. 1st ) is the day they consider this issue, no matter where you live or recreate PLEASE let your Public Servants know you do not approve of this Land Grab!

Two minutes is all it takes, just follow this link to the AMA “Rapid Response” letter generator . . .

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Act Today!   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 5:38 pm

October 1st (tomorrow) this will be on the table!!! "Know No Borders", no matter where you live, PLEASE voice your opposition to this madness!!!!!!

Utah's political representatives need to know that the majority of Utahans oppose this. And they need to hear it from you. Today please.

Rep. Rob Bishop: 202-225-0453
Rep. Jim Matheson: 202-225-3011
Rep. Jason Chaffetz: 202-225-7751
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:14 am

Glad I got back tonight.........DONE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 2:14 am

Foxfire wrote:
Glad I got back tonight.........DONE Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Me too, thank you!
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: H.R. 1925: America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 11:56 am

This is known as . . . H.R. 1925: America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009

It permanently locks up 9.4 million acres as “Wilderness” . . . please help stop the madness!!!

This is not yet out of Committee but when it clears them it’s moving on to the House of Representatives. Please contact your Public Servant in the House today to voice your opposition.

Take Action here. . . http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/legisltn/rapidresponse.asp

Or here . . . http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/bills/?bill=13274916&size=full

SEMA’s Letter . . . http://www.semasan.com/images/pdf/America-Red-Rock-Wilderness-Act-HR-1925-Comments.pdf

You can use key talking points from SEMA’s letter to craft your own.
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Another of My Letters Regarding this PIECE of Legislation   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Here's mine . . . please feel free to use any of it you may find helpful in creating yours!

Honorable Representative Dan Lungren,

As a constituent and concerned motorized outdoor recreationist, I am writing to ask you to oppose H.R. 1925, America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

H.R. 1925 will designate more than nine million additional acres as Wilderness and unnecessarily close access to responsible recreation at the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock off-highway vehicle areas (to name a few) in Utah.

By designating over 9 million acres of new Wilderness, this would close all trails to responsible motorized access in these areas. The closure of these trails will be devastating to many area businesses as well as friends and families who recreate together responsibly.

My family and I spend many enjoyable hours recreating in our National Forests, National Parks, State Parks and BLM lands. We generally travel to our chosen destination via a four wheel drive vehicle as it allows us to get away from paved roads and into areas we could not otherwise reach due to our age and a disability I incurred while serving our country.

Upon arrival at our final destination we spend our time camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and traveling the trails in the vicinity with our Jeep taking in the beautiful scenery that our public lands afford us

I am very concerned that the proposed legislation will reduce access to areas of interest for disabled folks like me. We have family who live in the area and we all like to spend time together there on the many scenic trails when we visit. I believe that OHV enthusiasts, mountain bikers, hikers, equestrians, and others can share these public lands. These uses should not be exclusive and can certainly stand beside each other.

The off-highway vehicle areas under control of the Bureau of Land Management should remain at their current level of accessibility and not be cut off by this proposed legislation. There should also be provisions for historic use of the area in review via motorized means and no reduction of the currently open areas should result from the proposed legislation.

I believe the information and data collected in outdated management plans which were developed in 1982, 1994 and most recently in 2003 is flawed. No decisions should be made based upon this incomplete, flawed data.

I would like to request that site specific evaluations of existing routes be made, that meaningful consideration be given to the potential environmental impacts of all routes involved and that the alternatives presented to the agency by those of us who are directly affected by the decision be included with an eye toward possible mitigation efforts as opposed to closures.

We in the off-highway community generally support the idea of travel being limited to designated roads, trails and areas. We are also in support of a thorough environmental review and analysis as well as ongoing monitoring and maintenance of the OHV infrastructure. We as an OHV community have voluntarily taxed ourselves in order to provide funds to the agencies involved so they can actively and effectively accomplish these tasks. What the OHV community does not support is being presented with a "range" of management alternatives where many or all of the alternatives represent a significant reduction in OHV opportunity.

Regarding management of the areas in question and the missed opportunities for OHV access, I would like to suggest that the agencies involved address any legitimate maintenance, resource and environmental concerns by incorporating a training protocol into travel planning that would train agency staff on how to effectively manage volunteer programs, apply for grants, use the challenge cost share program and learn about and apply for other funding sources. Additionally, a visitor education program and proper signage should be incorporated to better inform users of the areas.

In closing I want to reiterate that my family, friends and fellow public land users oppose closures as the main solution to management issues. Please give serious consideration to the trail system proposals submitted by we concerned OHV users.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

[My Personal Information Went Here]
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Done!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:05 pm

Please folks. If you have never responded to issues this like, this is the one to get in on. This involves Moab, which is the Holy Grail of offroading. This is a battleground that must not be lost!
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:23 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Please folks. If you have never responded to issues this like, this is the one to get in on. This involves Moab, which is the Holy Grail of offroading. This is a battleground that must not be lost!

Many thanks to you and all of our OHV "Brothers-in-Arms" here and on many other forums who are joining in this fight!!!!!

If we were to loose this access fight, we should attempt to have Legislation drafted to limit Central Park in New York to tennis shoe and "Hospital Spec" wheel chair access only as they are doing here with this PIECE of Legislation in retaliation!!!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 8:23 pm

An update on this issue. Dirty tricks are being applied to this effort. The anti access crowd wants this one bad......... Mad

Thursday, November 12, 2009
U.S. representatives request administrative order that would shut off-highway vehicles out of 9.4 million acres in Utah

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The U.S. representative from New York who is sponsoring U.S. House bill H.R. 1925, which would close 9.4 million acres to off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding in Utah, has sent a letter to Interior Secretary Ken Salazar requesting the secretary use his administrative powers to close those lands, the American Motorcyclist
Association (AMA) reports.

Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-N.Y.), along with 88 other U.S. representatives who joined Hinchey in sending the letter, is asking for the administrative action while the House debates H.R. 1925, also called America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009.

Not a single representative from Utah supports H.R. 1925, which would designate 9.4 million acres managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management as Wilderness.

Once land is designated as Wilderness, no vehicles, including motorcycles, ATVs or bicycles, are allowed on that land. Even horseback riders would be banned.

"It is outrageous that Rep. Hinchey would attempt to bypass congressional procedures to put into motion the intentions of a bill that lacks the support of even one representative from the state that bill would impact," said Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations. "This attempt is even more shocking in the sense that much
of the land in question does not even meet the definition of Wilderness included in federal law. According to the Wilderness Act of 1964, Wilderness can only apply to lands 'retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation.'"

Included in the 9.4 million acres that the representative from New York wants to close forever to Utah's OHV community are existing OHV riding areas around Moab, the San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The targeted areas also include existing roads and developments.

H.R. 1925 would be particularly harmful coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed more than 2 million acres of public lands. This vast Wilderness bill would take away
additional recreation opportunities that stimulate the local economies and are currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.
The AMA is calling on all motorcyclists and OHV enthusiasts to help stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. representative is a telephone call. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code at AmericanMotorcyclist.com

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international
governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services,
gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations.
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: The BS Continues   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptyThu Nov 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Yup, they are doing everything they can to make this krap happen.

I didn't want to bore you guys with the on going in-fighting, thank you for updating everyone and keeping on top of an issue that is not in your "back yard"!!!
Back to top Go down
misterp
SSXSRider Member
misterp

Number of posts : 293
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 7:09 am

Hey Guys, I signed up but have not seen or heard anything, no charge on my debit card either????Whats up, my money no good? lol
Back to top Go down
The Lyin King

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 9:21 pm

misterp wrote:
Hey Guys, I signed up but have not seen or heard anything, no charge on my debit card either????Whats up, my money no good? lol

Thank you for joining the Fight!!! Sorry you have experienced this difficulty, there has been a high volume of new membership activity so they may be overwhelmed.

Try contacting Mary Jo Foster, Administrative Director. I believe she can assist you directly or get you up with someone who can.

Her email contact link is . . .

http://www.sharetrails.org/contact/message.php?recip=25

I hope this helps, please PM me if you need further assistance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness   Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness Empty

Back to top Go down

Utah - 9.4 Million More Acres of Wilderness
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: General :: General SidexSide Discussion-
Jump to: