Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalFAQRegisterLog in

Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? Empty
PostSubject: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 8:38 pm

My 2005 660 Rhino now has the "supposedly normal" rear brake grinding/weird sound. Yes -- I did ride with the parking brake on for a short period(I heard that makes it worse). Any ideas on how to stop this racket? Sounds like the rear end is getting torn up... I read that WD040 on rear pads helps for a while.

I just posted looking for any ideas that have worked. I do not like the noise...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 8:49 pm

does it sound and feel like the rear end gears r coming apart?????NEW REAR PADS fixes it every time !!!rear pads r worn out
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 9:35 pm

Yep -- sounds like the gears are coming apart. It's an awful noise. I noticed it after riding in below 20F weather and having alot of ice everywhere on the Rhino. I'll replace the pads -- at least that should work for a while.
Back to top Go down
nocerisdave
SSXSRider Member
nocerisdave

Number of posts : 5674
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:45 pm

There are indicator marks on the caliper for the rear brakes, but in my experiance the incicators are not accurate. I would suggest you pull the caliper and inspect. If the pads need replacing your Rhino will only make this noise when you apply the brakes kind of hard. If its constant its possible its the gears. But the rear pads can seperate from the steel part that hold the shoes in place so this would sound bad all the time. I rode with the parking brake on too...My guess is that when the pads get hot enough, (like riding with the parking brake on) the glue holding the pads to the steel will liquify allowing them to seperate. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Make sure that rear-diff is tight too!!!!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 10:55 pm

i was reading over on RF.net about some kind of solution to this problem... called something like 'no squeek' or something obvious like that.

i'll go search for that post... and see what i can find.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptySun Mar 09, 2008 11:19 pm

It's the Rear Pads mine did it on last Ride and Changed them Today. No more Noise :)
Back to top Go down
Mudxtc

Mudxtc

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: WHOA!@#$^#$@%@#   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 1:19 pm

roamerr wrote:
My 2005 660 Rhino now has the "supposedly normal" rear brake grinding/weird sound. Yes -- I did ride with the parking brake on for a short period(I heard that makes it worse). Any ideas on how to stop this racket? Sounds like the rear end is getting torn up... I read that WD040 on rear pads helps for a while.

I just posted looking for any ideas that have worked. I do not like the noise...

Mine did the same thing, I looked at mine and the pads were SHOT, it had less than 200 miles on it!

BTW, I dont think I would spray any WD-40 anywhere near brake parts,,,,,,,, just a suggestion!

If you are going to spray anything on them, make it a good brake cleaner!
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 pm

ArmorTech pads are going on later this week. The rotors look fine -- could not really check the pads but they looked thin. That noise is awful...
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? EmptyMon Mar 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Pads have been changed. The sound is mostly gone -- still does it on the last few feet of some stops. Hopefully the sound will totally go away once the new pads wear together with the rotor. Looked at it on Rhinoforums and this appears to be normal -- that is why Yamaha went with 2 rotors on the 08's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??   Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL  Noise -- Normal?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhino Rear Brake AWFUL Noise -- Normal??
Page 1 of 1