SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Need input on Motorcycle

Go down 
+4
4x4pac
ChrisC
wvyankee2
tim
8 posters
AuthorMessage
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

Number of posts : 691
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Need input on Motorcycle Empty
PostSubject: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 7:57 pm

I have promist my son if he gets strait A's this year I would buy him a motorcycle. I have not rode in years and was wanting some input on what to buy. I was thinking a 125 but dont know which brand would be the best. He is 13 and wieghs around 154lbs. and is 5'10''.
I have been to the local shops looking around but I want something that will stand up to some sbuse. Just let me know what you guys think.

Tim
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Not sure what exactly you looking for, but I would not get him anything smaller than a Honda CRF230F. This would be a great beginers bike for him. He is a Big Boy for his age and will only get bigger.

Here is the link. http://powersports.honda.com/2009/crf230f.aspx
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:11 pm

I had not thought of anything over a 125. I ws thinking a 125 would be to big, but I guess I still think of him as my little boy. I do like the idea of electic start. Thanks wvyankee2

Tim
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Your welcome. Your about to make a young man very happy. cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:02 pm

if i was buying a woods bike today.
i would get a Honda. it would last for ever... Eat
Back to top Go down
4x4pac

4x4pac

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I agree if you were going to get him a 2 stroke a 125 would be great. With most bike being 4 stroke now I would also go with the 230. I would go with a Honda or Yamaha. I am not a big fan of the new Suzuki bikes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4pac.com
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 10:21 pm

If it were me I would go Yamaha...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 6:20 am

tim wrote:
He is 13 and wieghs around 154lbs. and is 5'10''.

Damn I 5' 10" 155 lbs and I am 36 years old. Yeah, I think the boy will be fine on a 230.

mud-and-guts wrote:
If it were me I would go Yamaha...

I would have never guessed that
roflmao
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Dirt bike, Yamaha TTR 230. Can't kill em'

I went this route with my son a few years back, he was a bit younger. I swear after the first ride I went and traded the damn thing for a quad.

Between the wrecks and picking him up, re-starting the bike, after a while he would get tired and wreck or turn over more. I may as well stayed home, the whole ride was keeping him going, it wore me out.

Quad is easier, more stable, and for how we ride, he can keep pace and not have to go 20-30 miles an hour on the trail on a dirt bike. I believe if your gonna ride a rhino with him, you'll have to ride to fast so he can have fun, and he'll have to ride to slow for you to have fun.

It was a disaster for me, when i traded for the quad all problems were solved.

IMO, think twice. rhino's and dirt bikes are two completey diff styles of riding.

M
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:01 pm

I know Mark I have been telling him that. But you know all boys want a dirt bike and have to learn on there own. I hope I can find a good deal on a used one. I know he will not like it that long and will want a quad.

I have told him if I get him one he will have to ride it atleast a year. Before he can get anything else. Now we have to see if he can keep getting the grades to get it.

Tim
Back to top Go down
MarkW
SSXSRider Member
MarkW

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2008-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyTue Oct 20, 2009 9:32 pm

I got a great contact in the business, if I see or hear of anything near what ur looking for I'll buzz you.

M

On a unrelated note, I know of a practically new, incredible shape, 2004 yamaha 350 Raptor white and red. Seen it, rode it, reverse, nice ,nice quad. Awesome for what your talking of. If it wasn't for taxes and insurance this time of year, my boy would have an upgrade already. $2500 range give or take.

M
Back to top Go down
tim
SSXSRider Member
tim

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptyWed Oct 21, 2009 8:05 am

That is a good price. I would rather him have something like that, but I am not going to get anything untill around the end of the school year. If I get it now the wife will talk me into giving it to him. If it were up to me I would get it and let it site in the garage so he has to walk by it everyday to motivate him. The best part is I was going to get him one this summer anyway, and he came up with the idea if he got strait A's would I get him a motorcycle.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle EmptySun Oct 25, 2009 9:44 pm

We just traded our two CRF230's for a new 2010 Rincon. For his size the 230 would be fine for a starter bike. If you are set on something smaller then the CRF150R is as small as I would go. Just a FYI .... the 150R can take the 230F and is a better bike but it will be physically to small of a bike for him.

The 230 was a good trail bike for us. It has enough power to loft the front wheel but it is not consistent with the stock tires. Sometimes all you get is wheel spin. Without mods, if it leaves the ground, it lands like a loaded log truck!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need input on Motorcycle   Need input on Motorcycle Empty

Back to top Go down

Need input on Motorcycle
Page 1 of 1