SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Polaris stock battery dead

Go down 
+8
roamerr
ridepate
Big-R
GunRunner
Foxfire
RedNeckRanger
wvyankee2
AIRBORNE
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Polaris stock battery dead Empty
PostSubject: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 11:51 am

Just curious if anyone has already replaced their stock Polaris battery. I had not started the S in about three weeks, and two nights ago the battery was dead as a hammer. I am leaning towards just going ahead and replacing it. I guess the most preferred is the Odyssey.......any other cheaper alternatives that might do a good job? I am not really running anything that puts an incredible strain on the battery. I have the stereo (no amp) and occasionally I have to use my winch to pull out my good buddy William before he drives over a cliff lol! , but other than that I only occasionally I will run my extra HIDs. What are your opinions?
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10319
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Go Odyssey and be done with it. That 18ah battery in the RZR is way to small.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 pm

it good to keep a battery tender on them when yr not riden ..20 bucks at auto zone.....i keep them on both of mine and the lawn mover during the winter
Back to top Go down
Foxfire
SSXSRider Member
Foxfire

Number of posts : 6060
Registration date : 2008-04-01

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Water level still up? Remember, the battery is still being used even with the key off.
Temp kinda cold where U are, Lt? Todd @ Hunterworks suggests that if U don't start it on a regular basis, that U put a 1 amp trickle charge on the battery. I know mine will be, if not dead, way low if not started for 3 weeks and my battery is new.....er.
I would look into these things before I spent the $$$$$$

2cents
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Thanks Fox. I have a battery tender. Maybe I will try that another time before I give up on the stocker. I just talked to the dealer and he said they would warranty it with no problem since I am still under factory warranty.
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 12:56 pm

Airborne LT wrote:
Thanks Fox. I have a battery tender. Maybe I will try that another time before I give up on the stocker. I just talked to the dealer and he said they would warranty it with no problem since I am still under factory warranty.

did it go dead with the tender on it ??
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 1:04 pm

No, it went dead sitting in the garage while I was home in WV on leave.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 pm

If storing machine for extended periods, pull battery out of machine and trickle in the garage. A EFI machine has a constant draw on the battery from the internal clock on the ECU. It's not good to trickle charge while the battery has a draw on it.
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am

Are you sure there is not something drawing power, something with the stereo or other mod? If you use a battery tender it will always be ready to ride, the stock battery will last for years on a stock machine but if your running higher draw add ons
then you might as well go bigger battery.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 12:28 pm

If you have the J-strong top then it is probably the stereo. It has a clock and keeps draw on the battery. I know a few guys on here that have put the stereo on a switch.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:35 pm

No J-Strong top on the RZR. The only thing that I have in the RZR is the stereo, but it is a detachable face and I always take it off to prevent the display from being on all the time and drawing power. The Polaris dealer said I could bring it in and they could put it on a thing to check if something is drawing the system down. Only problem is if I take it in I am afraid they will dick around and not have it back to me in time for when I wanna ride next. I think I will try the battery tender and then just pony up for a good battery if that does not work.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:59 pm

Chis, with the faceplate off, it will still draw current internally for the pre-sets and the clock.
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Okay. I guess the battery tender is the way to go. My battery never went dead on my Rhino and I have the J-Strong top on it. I am thinking that maybe the stock Polaris battery is just not all that great. I will give it a shot with the tender, then replace with an upgraded one if necessary.
Back to top Go down
roamerr
SSXSRider Member
roamerr

Number of posts : 481
Registration date : 2008-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 am

I'd go ahead and get an Odyssey. If the battery is marginal just sitting for several weeks then it definitely will be a problem if something happens on the trail. The one thing I do not want is a dead battery if it takes me longer to start due to rolling over or drowning or whatever. My Can-am and Rhino have Odyssey's and I replaced batteries that worked perfect in both of those!

My $.02...
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 6:42 am

I would just give the RZRS to your buddy Big-R. If that battery dies again it could make you very upset and we don't want that :D
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 6:58 am

Big-R wrote:
I would just give the RZRS to your buddy Big-R. If that battery dies again it could make you very upset and we don't want that :D
I tell you what........you convince Tim to come to Pickett this weekend, I will let you drive the S. lol!
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:31 pm

if he drives it , you wont get it back..... thatsright
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 10:25 am

Okay.........dead battery again. Does anyone know if the upgraded batteries (Optima/ Odyssey) will fit without any relocation or cutting of the stock battery box? Got a ride coming up this week and I don't want to be dealing with this. I had installed the Warn wireless remote and I did not run it to the key. It was only wired like this for one day and Tim told me to tie into a keyed hot. So yesterday I switched it over to be keyed just like the ordinary rocker switch. The only thing that could possibly be drawing any current would be the radio (I would think).
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 11:44 am

if you hAve a power draw somewhere it will kill any battery you put in it, a big battery will just last a little longer before going dead.
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 12:37 pm

the radio can if it is ran direct to the bat.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 2:57 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:

wvyankee2 wrote:
If storing machine for extended periods, pull battery out of machine and trickle in the garage. A EFI machine has a constant draw on the battery from the internal clock on the ECU. It's not good to trickle charge while the battery has a draw on it.

LT, as stated above, the RZR battery is only a 18 amp hour battery. It is basically an ATV battery Polaris put in the RZR. IT is not really adequate for the electrical loads we add to the machines like Stereo, lights, Heavy Duty winches, etc. As a comparison, the Rhino comes with a 28 amp hour battery. Here is a good upgrade that takes care of any future issues.

http://www.alpinesandtoys.com/servlet/the-872/polaris-rzr-odyssey-pc-dsh-925L/Detail

The only modifications you will need is to shim up the hold down bracket with washers. This battery has all the same dimensions, except it is a little taller than the stock ones.

You can try to fix up your stock battery by trying to reactivate it. I ran into the same issue with my Kingquad with the 18 AH AGM battery and did a lot of research on it. This is the main problem with these batteries when having an issue like yours. When they come from Polaris with the machine, the dealer puts in the acid and charges the battery. This procedure to activate is critical with an AGM battery. You have to add the acid and let it sit for at least 2 hours before you charge it. This allows the acid to fully saturate the glass mats in the battery. Then you have to trickle charge ( no more than 2.0 amps, and preferably 1.8 ) for about 10 hours. Problem is that alot of dealers dont take the time to do this properly, and you get a bad initial activation of the battery.

Here is what to try to bring it back to life. Pull the battery out of your machine, or at least disconnect the cables from it. You need to do this because you cant reactivate with a trickle charge if you have any draw on the battery while you are doing it. Your ECU pulls a constant draw all the time from the battery. After you disconnect it, trickle charge with no more than 2.0 amps for at least 12 hours. Put battery back in and see how it does. If it still wont hold the charge, it is toast.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 5:44 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
wvyankee2 wrote:

wvyankee2 wrote:

LT, as stated above, the RZR battery is only a 18 amp hour battery. It is basically an ATV battery Polaris put in the RZR. IT is not really adequate for the electrical loads we add to the machines like Stereo, lights, Heavy Duty winches, etc. As a comparison, the Rhino comes with a 28 amp hour battery. Here is a good upgrade that takes care of any future issues.

http://www.alpinesandtoys.com/servlet/the-872/polaris-rzr-odyssey-pc-dsh-925L/Detail

The only modifications you will need is to shim up the hold down bracket with washers. This battery has all the same dimensions, except it is a little taller than the stock ones.

You can try to fix up your stock battery by trying to reactivate it. I ran into the same issue with my Kingquad with the 18 AH AGM battery and did a lot of research on it. This is the main problem with these batteries when having an issue like yours. When they come from Polaris with the machine, the dealer puts in the acid and charges the battery. This procedure to activate is critical with an AGM battery. You have to add the acid and let it sit for at least 2 hours before you charge it. This allows the acid to fully saturate the glass mats in the battery. Then you have to trickle charge ( no more than 2.0 amps, and preferably 1.8 ) for about 10 hours. Problem is that alot of dealers dont take the time to do this properly, and you get a bad initial activation of the battery.

Here is what to try to bring it back to life. Pull the battery out of your machine, or at least disconnect the cables from it. You need to do this because you cant reactivate with a trickle charge if you have any draw on the battery while you are doing it. Your ECU pulls a constant draw all the time from the battery. After you disconnect it, trickle charge with no more than 2.0 amps for at least 12 hours. Put battery back in and see how it does. If it still wont hold the charge, it is toast.

I believe I will have to agree with the yank one this one, even though he is a yankee! thatsright thatsright
Back to top Go down
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for the info. I think I will just be looking for a new battery. Screw messing around with this stock junk.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptySun Dec 27, 2009 8:48 pm

i have a ground on my rzr some where also. the battery goes dead over night. i think i have got water from all the snow in the winch contactor and grounded it out. will try and hunt it down tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 12:30 pm

Stock battery is fine even with a few extras, Ive had no issues with my 09 or 010 even with winch and extra lights. However i use a battery tender on all stuff not driven daily. Its the best investment in battery up keep you can get.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polaris stock battery dead   Polaris stock battery dead Empty

Back to top Go down

Polaris stock battery dead
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next