SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fuel Pump on 660

Go down 
+4
Clayboy
wvyankee2
Rhino Rob
MuddyBuddy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-01-03

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 5:20 pm

So its no secret that the fuel system on the 660 has its multiple issues but after replacing a fuel pump only to have it fail 2 weeks later and leave me stranded in the middle of brimstone is enough for me. Ive basically made my mind up that Im going to go with the Hi Flow kit from Black Rhino that replaces everything from the pickup (which ive already upgraded to the hi flow billet one) to the carb. Anybody know how good the dependability of this thing is? Im getting tired of ruining everybody elses fun because of me. Thanks in advance guys!
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptySun Jan 03, 2010 6:02 pm

I meant UTV crap, the high flow still vaccum operated one as to the electric one from black rhino. Sorry! beat
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 6:00 am

nope the only issue i ever had with my fuel system on my 05 was a dirty filter.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:09 pm

I have heard of a few issues with the 660 fuel system. But complete failure of the pump ( let alone 2) is not one of them. One issue I had was the silicone sealant for the pickup and sending units getting sucked up the intake tube. This is a common problem with some worse than others. I had it floating in my filter at 600 miles. I changed the filter, removed the gas lines and blew them out. I had some of it blow out of my gas lines. I have not had the problem since. You may have a large chunk of it in your fuel tank that keeps finding it's way to the pickup. Thats where I would check first. The complete failures of fuel pumps one right after another is highly unusual and if so just real bad luck. The only other issue I have ever heard of was the Rhino's into 2006 had issues with the pump weakening due to deterioration of the diaphram because of wrong material for construction of it. Even then the pump would not fail, just wouldn't provide enough fuel under heavy load. Either way I would do some investigating before going out and buying an aftermarket pump. For a stock 660 they are more than adequate.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm

already checked and blew out all my lines from the tank up. The only thing I can think of is that the aftermarket fuel filter is somehow letting something get by and messing up the diaphram. As soon as it gets warm enough to wash all the frozen mud off of it from brimstone im gonna look through the whole thing. But the kit comes with the same brand pump that is OEM just more powerful.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 12:55 pm

You need to get that seat off and check your vacuum line from the engine, it didn't feel like it was sucking at all. Could be cracked or could have had some moisture in there that got froze. I think the 660 builds enough heat under the dog house to keep things thawed out but you never know. You gotta fix the seat anyway. scratch DontKnow
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 557

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:05 pm

I thought sure I was having fuel pump problems and had planned to order the Hi-Flow Mikuni pump and clear hose kit. The pump has two outputs and the Rhino carb only uses one input. If you try to plumb both outputs to the one input, all you will do is flood the carb.

Even though it may not appear to pump much, the stock pump pumps more than enough fuel for a stock to mild build. The higher flow pump may help the off idle stab of the peddle stumble that sometimes appears.

My problem ended up being with the aftermarket CDI box. It would not idle for more than 15-20 seconds and cut off like you turned the key. Try cranking it as soon as it cut off and all it would do is crank. Let it set for a couple minutes and it would fire off as soon as you touched the key. You better have it in gear and go or it would cut off again.

I checked the filter, took the carb apart, blew out the lines, checked the pickup for cracks, adjusted the valves (they needed that anyway), took the pump apart more than once.... you name it. Out of desperation I put the stock CDI in and it fired up and has been fine since. I can put the aftermarket CDI in and in 15 seconds it will cut off. That is cold or hot.

If you have tried two pumps and it does the same thing .... I would stop looking at the pump.
Back to top Go down
Clayboy
SSXSRider Member
Clayboy

Number of posts : 1861

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:12 pm

This one is a fuel delivery problem, we used a 24oz soda bottle full of gas and gravity fed the fuel line and it ran like a raped ape. Little messy but. hey, it works for a while.
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Yep, I would say that is a fuel problem. I tried that also and it did not correct my problem.
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Hey wingman! Yeah when the first one went out that was the first thing I did went back to the stock CDI and still nothing. I checked the vaccum line it still sucks. Got my new seat latches in today to fix that seat! woo hoo Are you talking about the weller racing kit that they developed for the hi flow or did you do the tubing yourself? I heard it was a very common problem, also with an electric pump setup which is why I dont wanna get one, untill they got the weller racing kit for it.
Back to top Go down
Wingman
SSXSRider Member

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

Weller Racing is who I was going to order the pump and kit from. When I talked to them on the phone, they didn't think I had a pump problem and said I needed to keep looking. Even though it is back running right, I would still like to have the Hi-Flow pump.
Back to top Go down
jigger

jigger

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:39 pm

I replaced my dad's stock 660 pump with the weller racing fuel pump and kit. He uses his Rhino for winter plowing and we get weather in the -40 at times and after he plugs in the inline heater the bike starts up fairly easily. During warmer weather the bike starts with little or no choke.
Back to top Go down
S
SSXSRider Member
S

Number of posts : 1655
Registration date : 2008-09-12

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 5:35 pm

I had to take my tank out and clean it. Like Clay said check your vac. line. I have seen some be bent or a hole in them.
Back to top Go down
shawnley1222
SSXSRider Member
shawnley1222

Number of posts : 2745

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 pm

I have fuel issues that I still have yet to find the exact problem but they have been minimal now a days
Back to top Go down
MuddyBuddy
SSXSRider Member
MuddyBuddy

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 12:30 pm

Got whole new setup coming in from weller racing so hopefully this will be the end of this saga. As soon as it freggin gets above freezing I got to get her out and wash all the frozen mud off of it got some work to do including draining and cleaning the tank. New 27 inch radial outlaws, new fender, new diff brace and new fuel system. Comeon spring time!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fuel Pump on 660 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fuel Pump on 660   Fuel Pump on 660 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fuel Pump on 660
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: