SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WISHEILD and other homemade parts

Go down 
+2
GunRunner
FASTRTHNU2
6 posters
AuthorMessage
FASTRTHNU2

FASTRTHNU2

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2009-12-10

WISHEILD and other homemade parts Empty
PostSubject: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:19 pm

alright i looked and looked and cant find the info i need has anyone made a homebrew winsheild for there rhino i have a 08 450 and love riding it except its gotten really cold here for some reason and the wind just kicks my well you know the deal so what have you got i need dimensions for a good half windsheild we ride alot in the mud and a full one would just be in the way how did you fasten it to the roll cage that kinda stuff i can get 1/4 inch plexie for about 35 dollars so im pretty sure i can build it for less than 150 wich is the cheepest one ive found yet also what other homebrew projects have you made for your rhino im a cheap person with a little skill so i dont mind making it myself if ill save enough the first thing i made was a radiator screen to keep the sticks out and only spent 25 dollars so i saved good money on that let me know what you got
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Dont waste your money on plexglass, it will break first ride. Thats why good windshields cost more. If you haveto build your own, use Lexan and it will not break but will scratch easy. The top grade with scratch protection will cost near what you can buy one made for once you buy all the hardware.
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
FASTRTHNU2

FASTRTHNU2

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

how long do you think it will last i really only need it for 2 months and usally only get to hit the trails 1 weekend a month other than that i use it like a workhorse
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 12:55 pm

A lexan one will last forever , a plexglass one might last one ride if your lucky, and in the cold it breaks even easier.
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm

mine is plexi and it does just fine. it was a full windshield already installed when i bought the rhino. i didnt like it one bit so i removed it. then when riding during winter i tried it again but i cut it into a half windshield. it works alot better and its just enough to keep the wind off my hands. and being a half i can still see after i go through a mudhole.
i can take some pics and measurements if you need
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 2:53 pm

moto92 wrote:
mine is plexi and it does just fine. it was a full windshield already installed when i bought the rhino. i didnt like it one bit so i removed it. then when riding during winter i tried it again but i cut it into a half windshield. it works alot better and its just enough to keep the wind off my hands. and being a half i can still see after i go through a mudhole.
i can take some pics and measurements if you need

and your sure its plexiglass?
Back to top Go down
FASTRTHNU2

FASTRTHNU2

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 am

YA THAT WOULD BE GREAT THATS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GONNA BUILD IS A HALF
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:47 pm

if u are gonna make JUST a half use lexan,i made a side enclosure out of plexyglass for my bobcat when we was clearing rocks out of the trails down in the woods 2 weeks ago and just all the shaking and the cold made it shatter all over me so i would use either lexan or just buy one from moose or hunterworks
Back to top Go down
Lduke_01
SSXSRider Member
Lduke_01

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:57 am

id use lexan, my plexi shattered like 2nd ride out. and id just go with a half and put a bend on it, you can bend lexan cuz its a polycarbonate, u cant bend plexi, my homebrew half is 14 inches tall with a one inch 45 degree bend on the end and it deflects all the wind off, the full just circulates dust and it sucks to get mud on, u can still look over the half when it gets muddy
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 8:28 am

i tried to tell him, plexiglass is a waste of money. it wont hold up.
Back to top Go down
FASTRTHNU2

FASTRTHNU2

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:16 pm

I HAVENT BOUGHT IT YET AND BASED ON YALLS ORDEALS WITH PLEXI ILL GO WITH LEXAN HOW THICK OF LEXAN SHOULD I USE
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 1:24 pm

it really doesnt matter, it wont break, just get it thick enough to not bend easy so it wont flex alot while on your trailer.
Back to top Go down
Lduke_01
SSXSRider Member
Lduke_01

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2009-12-29

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 12:03 am

i think mines like 3/16 or 1/4 not 4 sure
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

If you go with a half you will most likely want to run it year round. The half really helps in the summer to knock the mud and water when you splash so I would recommend buying a good one. I debated on building my own also but after doing the research it was actually cheaper to buy a good windshield designed to take the abuse then build a new one.

I have the Yamaha half and love it, I have been running it for a year or so and it has no scratches nor any other issues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WISHEILD and other homemade parts   WISHEILD and other homemade parts Empty

Back to top Go down

WISHEILD and other homemade parts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SouthernSxSRiders :: The Machines :: Yamaha-
Jump to: