SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?

Go down 
+9
Rhino Rob
Mud-and-Guts
RedNeckRanger
ridepate
Big-R
Gimpy
Smith700
wvyankee2
ClayW
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? Empty
PostSubject: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Hey guys. Been a while since i have been on here. Sold the 06 Rhino back in October. The cracked frame gussetts just bothered me tooooooo much. I figured.... Sell it During the begining of hunting season. Get top dollar. Then buy between now and Feb. Save some money. Anyway. Im down to a 08 Rhino or 08 RZR. I know what im getting with the Rhino. No worries there. I am intrested in the RZR. I cant afford the S right now. Just the regular model. Which would be a better trail machine? Is the RZR Reliable? I know the RZRs did have some airbox issues and frame issues if I recall. I also recall Polaris's customer service being crap. I dont want to spend $8000+ on a pile of crap. What are your opinions? I know the "S" is a beast. LT and Jimbo have filled me in on them. Still a bit jealous.... LOL... But what about the regular RZR. LT told me to stay away from a used 08 because of the Airbox/dirt issue. Whatever I buy, will be used.... Let me know what you think.
drive
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Might not help you here, but if I was on a $8000 budget to spend on a SidexSide. I would buy this Brand New 2008 teryx for $8299. But thats just me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-Kawasaki-Teryx-LE-Camouflage_W0QQitemZ270515768490QQcmdZViewItemQQptZATVs?hash=item3efbff0caa

or a little road trip to get this one for $7000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Teryx-750-4x4-2008-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ260541091358QQcmdZViewItemQQptZATVs?hash=item3ca9758e1e
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:43 pm

Yeah. I really like those alot. But i have heard nothing but horror stories about smoked belts and cracked engine cases. What have you heard?
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

ClayW wrote:
Yeah. I really like those alot. But i have heard nothing but horror stories about smoked belts and cracked engine cases. What have you heard?

Have not heard of the engine problem. I have heard of the belt problem. You need to make periodic adjustments on them. If you do that and dont give it too much hell in the wrong places, you wont have belt problems.
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:46 pm

yep that sounds like a good deal 2 me yank. and clay,for what all you carry on a ride and carrying the boy you might feel cramped in a rzr. but i dont really like them b/c a buddy we ride with ....has 08 red rzr,has had 2 new motors put in it,tie-rods are probably smaller than a pencil AND they are hollow,so yes they have snapped on a ride before,always has to carry a CASE of motor oil b/c motor keeps burning it up.and he has 3 new axles put in it,and a new belt,and differentail.And he does not have any motor mods,clutch kit,or anything on it performance wise.personally i dont like the build quality on polaris machines at all,as its not up to yamahas ,i know i will probably be banned for saying that but oh well.Just get a rhino,but make the RIGHT choice for your budget. 2cents
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:58 pm

Yeah i have heard a lot of this before.... I am not looking for a money pit. I know the Rhinos are bullet proof. I have read a lot about the Teryx's jumping out of gear under a load. Some time when it does, it does it with such force and torque it cracks the engine case. Read about that on the Teryx forums web site. Not here. Thats what smoked me off them 2yrs ago. Then I go back to see if its still a common problem. Boom First page... someone has a cracked case. I would be ready to shoot someone if that happened to me. I dont get crazy with my machines. Cade rides with me a lot "3yrs old now". I love the way they look, and the extra leg room. Just not convinced yet.... But im open to the possibility. Seems like you can get a smoking deal on one.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy
SSXSRider Member
Gimpy

Number of posts : 7708
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Keep in mind that all used units are only as good as how they were used. I sold my 2008 regular RZR, with snow plow, winch and 118 hours on it to a friend in November, for $8,900. He had looked a lot of used junk that was ran hard. I never had, and he has never had, a problem with it. Got an S now. The only issue was rear axle pulled out once. Look at what you are going to do most of the time with the unit. Always be cautious when buying used.
Back to top Go down
http://lwurzel@twc.com
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:04 pm

Here is what im talking about. What do ya think?

http://www.teryxforums.net/engine-drivetrain/3688-cracked-sidecase.html
Back to top Go down
Smith700
SSXSRider Member

Number of posts : 2713
Registration date : 2009-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 pm

just quit worrying about the teryx,or rzr and get a reliable RHINO
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:14 pm

Yeah.... Im with ya.... They are kinda hard to beat.... drive Gimpy I agree with ya too... I know guys that have had 19 problems with bikes that I have NEVER had a problem with...
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey Clay, I was wondering where you have been.

If you look at a 08 RZR have a compression test and a leak down test. That will tell the tell of an 08. If they come out good then you are probably ok.

Now I know many on here will argue about the quality of Polaris. I personally don't think they are built as well as a Yamaha. Would that stop me from getting one, probably not. The RZR is by far the funnest machine out there hands down.
Back to top Go down
ClayW
SSXSRider Member
ClayW

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey Big-R. Yeah I have been slammed at work. Just no time. But I am ready to get back on the wagon. It's a big stress reliever for me. Can't wait.... Cade is pretty pumped too.
Back to top Go down
ridepate
SSXSRider Staff
ridepate

Number of posts : 6409
Registration date : 2009-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Clay,
Call me................. Smiles
Back to top Go down
RedNeckRanger
SSXSRider Member
RedNeckRanger

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:34 am

my brothers got a 07 rhino 660 camo with 270 miles on it .....might get it for about 8k
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

Number of posts : 1839
Registration date : 2008-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 8:37 am

I just had a new window put in my truck and with talking to the guy that put it in he said he purchased an 08 RZR about a year before and had several issues with it (one being a blowed motor in less than 6 months). He said he sold it and he would not be buying another sidexside due to the bad taste the RZR left him with.

I love my Rhino...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org/
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 11:19 am

mud-and-guts wrote:
I just had a new window put in my truck and with talking to the guy that put it in he said he purchased an 08 RZR about a year before and had several issues with it (one being a blowed motor in less than 6 months). He said he sold it and he would not be buying another sidexside due to the bad taste the RZR left him with.

Most people who have owned ATV's and buy SidexSides will be disappointed in the cost of ownership no matter what they buy. A sidexside requires more maintenance in brakes, bearings, Tire wear and damage, get half the fuel mileage, in addition to costing more to start with. They also will put out mucho bucks for Mod's for comfort, convienance, protection, and to try to make it perform as well as the ATV they replaced it with. Just the nature of a machine that weighs twice as much and is twice as big as a ATV. Yet the vast majority say they will never go back to an ATV. Personnally, I would rather drive an ATV over a SidexSide. The reason I dont is I decided that I didn't want to have an ATV throw me off and stomp my guts into the ground anymore. I felt being belted in with a roll cage was the way to go. Everyone has a list of prioritys when it comes to taking to the great outdoors on our machines. Mine are as follows:

1. Getting out on the trail. (definate Priority #1)
2. Safety. ( coming home in the same condition as you left home. a combination of machine safety and common sense.)
3. Cost of ownership. ( basically estimated dollar spent, per offroad mile traveled.)
4. Performance and capability of the machine. (fun+function factor per mile traveled)

These priority's were arrainged a little differently for me 15 years ago than they are today. I think if everyone looks over these 4 issues and prioritizes them to fit there own situation, and applies them to the machines they are considering for purchase. They will see more clearly what machine is best suited for them, and will stand a very good chance of being satisfied with their purchase.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
mud-and-guts wrote:

Most people who have owned ATV's and buy SidexSides will be disappointed in the cost of ownership no matter what they buy. A sidexside requires more maintenance in brakes, bearings, Tire wear and damage, get half the fuel mileage, in addition to costing more to start with. They also will put out mucho bucks for Mod's for comfort, convienance, protection, and to try to make it perform as well as the ATV they replaced it with. Just the nature of a machine that weighs twice as much and is twice as big as a ATV. Yet the vast majority say they will never go back to an ATV. Personnally, I would rather drive an ATV over a SidexSide. The reason I dont is I decided that I didn't want to have an ATV throw me off and stomp my guts into the ground anymore. I felt being belted in with a roll cage was the way to go. Everyone has a list of prioritys when it comes to taking to the great outdoors on our machines. Mine are as follows:

1. Getting out on the trail. (definate Priority #1)
2. Safety. ( coming home in the same condition as you left home. a combination of machine safety and common sense.)
3. Cost of ownership. ( basically estimated dollar spent, per offroad mile traveled.)
4. Performance and capability of the machine. (fun+function factor per mile traveled)

These priority's were arrainged a little differently for me 15 years ago than they are today. I think if everyone looks over these 4 issues and prioritizes them to fit there own situation, and applies them to the machines they are considering for purchase. They will see more clearly what machine is best suited for them, and will stand a very good chance of being satisfied with their purchase.

Nicely put,
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 4:12 pm

9 out of 10 that had to ride the short bus prefer rzrs, lol Wink
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
SSXSRider Member
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:26 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:

Except for one! and you bought the rhino. Didn't learn a thing in special ed did you roflmao

Last edited by GunRunner on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:29 pm

GunRunner wrote:
Rhino Rob wrote:

Except for one!and you bought the rhino. Didn't learn a thing in special ed did you roflmao

#10 was the ones that bought the "S" now put your helmet back on and quit trying to lick the winders Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? 729242
Back to top Go down
GunRunner
SSXSRider Member
GunRunner

Number of posts : 5296

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
GunRunner wrote:
Rhino Rob wrote:

Except for one!and you bought the rhino. Didn't learn a thing in special ed did you roflmao

#10 was the ones that bought the "S" now put your helmet back on and quit trying to lick the winders Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? 729242

You shouldn't be so bitter, want me to list your short bus on craigslist so you can buy a real mans sxs thatsright
Back to top Go down
http://southernrzrriders.com
AIRBORNE
SSXSRider Member
AIRBORNE

Number of posts : 6266
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Clay, I know we discussed this the other day, but I will say it again. For your style of riding the RZR is the way to go. Now if you planned on trying to add the four seater and all that, of course go with the Rhino. If indeed it is only you and Cade, the RZR is an awesome machine that will serve your purpose. Also, being that he is still small, you will be able to utilize the floor space in front of the passenger seat. Knowing you, you will want to add some performance and other mods. That will go for either machine. I have almost as much in my Rhino as I do my S. Love em both.........but if I am gonna be doing serious riding, the Rhino will be staying in the garage and the RZR is it. I have taken the Rhino on several rides over the last couple of months. As long as the pace is not too fast and the riding is not too extreme I am totally content with the Rhino.
Back to top Go down
https://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/AirborneWV/
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Clay, have you looked at a new xp ranger?
if i needed to haul a wife and kid thats what i would get. hell i may get one in a year or 2 anyways. i would get the 800XP before i would buy another rhino.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
roadiestar

roadiestar

Number of posts : 842
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 pm

ClayW wrote:
I have one with over 1400 trouble free miles on it. also the stock belt.Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? Q18
and I beat the hell out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?   Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR? Empty

Back to top Go down

Whats up Guys! Need Opinion's. 08 Rhino or RZR?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next