SouthernSxSRiders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most come for the information and opportunity. Most stay for the friendships that are formed. Welcome!

GalleryHomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

MIddle Drive Gear

Go down 
+4
Big-R
Rhino X 2
ChrisC
yellow660
8 posters
AuthorMessage
yellow660

yellow660

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-09-14

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 6:27 am

Man, what a weekend! Took off from work, drove 220 miles to TN and actually got to trail ride for a total of 15 minutes before this happened:

MIddle Drive Gear DSCN1336

MIddle Drive Gear Downsized_0124001838

Last edited by yellow660 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ChrisC
SSXSRider Member
ChrisC

Number of posts : 5483
Registration date : 2008-06-30

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 6:33 am

Ya , Broke parts Sux.... pale
Back to top Go down
Rhino X 2
SSXSRider Member
Rhino X 2

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2009-11-08

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:02 am

Hey Yellow 660
If that is out of a Rhino I have a copy of the yamaha shop manual I can email you if you need it. If you pm me your email i will send it to you.
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

Number of posts : 16074
Registration date : 2008-02-26

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 9:10 am

That blows. They fix that in the 700s. Now you just break the middle drive shaft. Wow what a fix. Thanks Yamaha MIddle Drive Gear 13435
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Sorry to hear. That sucks anytime, let alone on a long trip away from home. Not sure what a new one costs, but this billet replacement from Weller will insure it does not happen again.

http://www.wellerracing.com/rhino660.htm
Back to top Go down
Rhino Rob
SSXSRider Member
Rhino Rob

Number of posts : 2577
Registration date : 2009-01-25
Location : the home of the volunteers and port st joe tiger sharks

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:00 pm

dang that bites ! for all of us that are not mechanically inclined, what happened, what broke, and if possible, why ?
hope you get it back together soon.
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
SSXSRider Member
wvyankee2

Number of posts : 10318
Registration date : 2008-01-22

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Rhino Rob wrote:
dang that bites ! for all of us that are not mechanically inclined, what happened, what broke, and if possible, why ?
hope you get it back together soon.

It's the middle drive gear bearing housing. It is a cast material (needs to be stronger) and when it fails from stress and fatigue, it usually throws metal all thru the motor and sometimes out the side of the motor. affraid It is very rare when it happens to a stock motor. Usually it is with a built one. Most people that build their motors ( especially stroked ones) replace it with a billet aluminum one.
Back to top Go down
moto92

moto92

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2008-09-06

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 8:35 pm

man i hope i never break that drive gear, cause i would have no clue how to change it. id just have to push it off in a pond and call the insurance company
Back to top Go down
yellow660

yellow660

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2008-09-14

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 6:20 am

The motor is stock, running 26in Bighorns. This August the Rhino will be 6 years old . When the gear broke it felt just like it had jumped out of gear and made that rattling sound. I immediately knew what happened and turned it off. My Rhino has spent about 99% of its life at Windrock rock crawling the mountain. I got lucky in the fact that the mounting holes for the carrier did not separate or crack which is casted as part of the casing. From what I have read, that usually happens and the case is destroyed. The gear itself is around $230 dollars and the stock bearing housing is about $32. I am now trying to find the best price so I can get it back running. Thanks again guys for the support! Thanks
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

Number of posts : 6141
Registration date : 2008-06-06

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 1:19 pm

i busted the middle drive gear on my rhino a few years ago. but the bearing housing never broke it was just the gears. i changed the 2 gears (driven and drive gears) with out splitting the cases. i made the tool that is need to remove the middle drive shaft. the 4 bolts that hold the bearing housing on was a pain to get out with out splitting the cases but im sure splitting the cases its harder.the hardest part is shimming the gears right.

MIddle Drive Gear 100_0577

MIddle Drive Gear 100_0578
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/bushrhino
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Bush...... you are unbelievable!!!! I would not have thought it was possible to change with out splitting to case. You da man!!!!
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm

ronnie was you able to change the shaft without splitting the case. i know you told me but i forgot. scratch
Back to top Go down
Big-R
SSXSRider Staff
Big-R

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 pm

bush wrote:
ronnie was you able to change the shaft without splitting the case. i know you told me but i forgot. scratch

Yes, I did not do it. Someone way smarter then I said it could be done. And they did it. I was ready to pull the engine.
Back to top Go down
bush
SSXSRider Staff
bush

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 4:56 pm

Chug
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MIddle Drive Gear Empty
PostSubject: Re: MIddle Drive Gear   MIddle Drive Gear Empty

Back to top Go down

MIddle Drive Gear
Page 1 of 1